Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Brakes and Bearing

Just completed BRAKE JOB AND BEARING REPACKING on the CF31RE-10 Cruiser:

2017: I knew that there was a brake problem because over the last 800 miles of travel I needed to crank up the Brake Controller output. I was mistakenly hoping it was just a brake adjustment.
The Bearings all looked good and were repacked. Both brakes on the left side still looked good BUT there were issues on both right side brakes and those assemblies were replaced. The front right drum had a rust ring and must have been very hot, the magnet actuator arm had deeply gouged the back plate and the magnet was worn. The rear right brake magnet was worn and the wires were burnt off of the magnet. (see photo) There had been a magnet wiring repair done with crimp butt connector, this was the point of failure.
Wires in the Axle: While splicing the wires for the new brake assemblies, I noticed that the wires going into the axle were worn almost through. I pulled out all of the wiring from the axle and found it to be worn as well. I replaced the old wire with two conductor shielded cable fastened to the rear of each axle and covered them with 2 layers of Gorilla Tape and then heat sealed the tape with a heat gun.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

History of Bearing Repacking on this CF31RE-10

2012 The very first time that I pulled the hubs I found that the rear seals had failed and allowed the grease from the dreaded EZ LUB Axles into the brake drums. It was a major clean up issue with ALL shoes being replaced. I also found that ALL of the bearings were lightly scored presumably from the many rust particles floating in the grease prompting me the cleanout all of the hubs and replace the bearings. The center of every hub was rusty and there was rust between the bearing and spindle.
2013 and 2014: Bearings Repacking and Brake inspections were done by the dealership.
2015 and 2016: My backyard Bearing Repacking and Brake inspection when well.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Ty for sharing this
CampBannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Looks like you are about ready to hit the road again Dave.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Lloyd,
Thanks for your help! We're hoping that the RV is ready to roll. I always have my fingers crossed and often while on the way check the temperature of the hubs, torque and tire pressures.

I wish now that I had replaced all of the brake assemblies but that's a project for next spring.

The inside of the last aluminum wheel that I pulled was coated with smoke. There must have been quite the electrical fire going on as those wires burnt off. The "in the axle" wires always concerned me and finding the worn wire was a wakeup call to change them out. Heck, I'd purchased the cable two years ago.

with highest regards from Kamper Dave
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Brake Repair Cable

Quote:
This is a photo of the wire that I taped to the rear of each axle and then covered with two layers of Gorilla Tape, heated it with a heat gun and sprayed with Flex Seal.
16ga with a plastic shield from Blain's Farm and Fleet. I buy it by the spool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8055 (800x724).jpg (372.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

More Maintenance

The work continued with the caulking of EVERY exterior seam as well as the front and rear roof seals.
Also SOMEONE (probably me) lowered the landing gear with the stabilizers locked and this put a kink in the lower storage pan in the front on the Cruiser. This also popped the heads off the screws holding the lower trim peice. Hence much caulking and re-fastening of the trim.
While down there I used Rust-O-leum UNDERCOATING to coat the metal bottom of the storage pan.
I also found that the belly liner was starting to chalk; so I cleaned it and sprayed it down with Flex Seal.
It looks very good and I am hoping it lasts.

AND THEN CAME THE ABUSE...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (373.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (297.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Site Team

My my my Dave!! What on earth are you doing out on the road in that crap?
Where did you pickup that decoration?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Rough start

Quote:
My my my Dave!! What on earth are you doing out on the road in that crap?
Where did you pickup that decoration?
Thank heavens they closed I-90 so we could get out of this darn storm. It was supposed to go North but didn't. Unfortunately, there was another storm on it's way so we gave it hell to get out of the mountains.
We made it to warm weather in Montana but our campsite at 8,000' ASL was a wreck. It took us hours to dig out the utilities.
I now have a wrenched shoulder, torn tendons in the hand and now a broken rib from a fall on the ice.
Thankfully we a an MD on staff.

Sorry, but these photos were upright when I attached them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4823 (480x640).jpg (202.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4822 (480x640).jpg (183.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4781 (640x396).jpg (116.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Dang Dave; have to give you a star for enduring all that crap. Or maybe a straight jacket for being a little nuts. Lol. Stay safe out there and head towards anywhere else that warmer. Hope you heal up.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

I notice you pack bearings & remove/inspect brake drums annually as do I, but I also know of several that have NEVER done this to any trailer, rv or other, & that to e is asking for trouble at the absolute worst time. It's not a difficult task & to me is time well spent.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I notice you pack bearings & remove/inspect brake drums annually as do I, but I also know of several that have NEVER done this to any trailer, rv or other, & that to e is asking for trouble at the absolute worst time. It's not a difficult task & to me is time well spent.
Never done it, but need to. Not afraid to get my hands dirty, just afraid of breaking something.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Never done it, but need to. Not afraid to get my hands dirty, just afraid of breaking something.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Better you break in the driveway than alongside some busy interstate, in my opinion it's a couple hours well spent.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Better you break in the driveway than alongside some busy interstate, in my opinion it's a couple hours well spent.

Completely agree, but when I say I've never done it, I mean I never done it to any vehicle... Whatcha doing next weekend? Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
Gone Traveling

If I were near you (currently west of Tucson) I would be more than happy to help you git er dun!
Seems not too long ago it was an annual event on your cars & trucks, actually 40+ years ago I guess. Now on vehicles it comes as one sealed piece, ahh technology!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

cheap insurance

Quote:
I think of this dirty job as cheap insurance against an expensive nightmare on the roadside.

The first time that I repacked the bearings I found that the area between the front and rear bearings was covered in rust. The rust particles were in the grease and the bearings were already mildly scored. I also found that the rear seals had failed and allowed grease onto the brakes. This was a major clean up and brake shoe, bearing and seal replacement. When the job was done I felt confident the job was done correctly and we would be safe as we traveled the expressways.

This year I found two bad brake magnets. One was badly worn while the other magnets wires were burnt completely off. After installing two complete brake assemblies, adjusting all four brakes and repacking the bearings we were ready to hit the road. (also replaced the brake wiring from inside of the axle where it was wearing thin.)
As we pulled out onto the street and I stopped to adjust the Brake Controller I was surprised that I needed to crank the controller to the highest setting to get the trailer brakes to work properly. After we were on the highway I turned the controller way down and manually rode the trailer brakes for short periods and then returned the controller to the high setting. I was happy at the end of the days travel to find that the new magnets and shoes were apparently seated and the brakes reacting as they had in years gone past.

with highest regards from Kamper Dave