Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

BROKEN SPRING and EQUA-FLEX:

BROKEN SPRING and EQUA-FLEX:
1st major break down in 10 years that’s 24,000 miles!! We were on I-90 and 100 miles from home when we broke a spring causing the two passenger side tires to press together. The RAM’s engine bogged down and I noticed a cloud of white smoke generated by the tires. We managed to get off onto the shoulder just before a guard rail, this on a nasty left-hand corner. I dialed 911 and spoke with the State Patrol, activated the 4-way flashers and posted orange 5 gallon pails every 20 yards behind the 5th wheel as traffic buzzed by at 70mph. DW got AAA on the phone but they were not having luck locating a tow service that could do the job. The State Patrol approved of my blaze orange pails, listened to our woes and informed us of a tow company that could handle the largest of semi-rigs. I immediately called the said tow company, when they learned that we had a 5th wheel and NOT a semi-flat-bed they dispatched help. We re-contacted AAA and got them onto the correct page and AAA re-contacted the tow company; thank heavens. As I calmed the DW a young man from the tow company showed up in a small car. He placed a strap onto the rear axle and ratcheted away from the front axle. DW now called Camping World just down I-90 BUT it would take them over 4 weeks before repairs and had nowhere to store our 5th wheel. The young man from the tow company informed us that their semi tractor trailer repair facility was only 4 miles away and they have a secure yard. We slowly towed the 5th wheel to their lot and unhitched; returning the next day with the family to unload our personal belongings.
Repairs pending: 2 springs and a new pair of equa-flex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9356.jpg (180.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Really glad you are all ok. You were lucky in that you had a good place to pull off. Keep us all posted.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Looks like a nasty mess Dave. Fortunate you are both OK. Are you going to do the repair, or the semi repair facility?
I suppose it would kind of hard to do it yourself in their yard.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Looks like a nasty mess Dave. Fortunate you are both OK. Are you going to do the repair, or the semi repair facility?
I suppose it would kind of hard to do it yourself in their yard.

Those Blystone folks have a huge repair facility and there is no way for me to get the 5th wheel home. Their online reviews are positive and they sure saved our bacon. So, I will trust them to do a good job.

I figure they will want to change both spring on the rear axle and a pair of new equa-flex.
Any thoughts about which brand of equalizers are best?
Do you think the Wet Bolt Bushings survived?

Things on the side of I-90 were going poorly until the State Troopers showed up and we arranged for a rescue. I'm glad AAA will pick up the rescue. I wish I could raise heck with the State of Minnesota and the poor condition of their I system. There were some nasty pot holes, broken pavement and poor bridge approaches.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

A friend of mine had a similar failure and only had to replace the spring, no damage to the equa-flex. Only problem was the spring had to be sent from Lippert, no one in our area had his size. Good that there was no other damage. Keep an eye on the tire as his broke a belt from the impact and didn't notice it right away.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Dave, have you ever considered switching over to the complete Dexter setup?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Gald you and the family are safe Dave. Any idea how this happened?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Glad your okay Dave. I’ve heard of people using straps to tie up axle/springs to get to safety.

We installed the Moryde equalizer and wetbolts on our trailer, and like it so far. Installation was easy. Nice rubber bushings (not sure correct term) in the equalizer. All brass bushings included with the kit.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

MOR/ryde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
Glad your okay Dave. I’ve heard of people using straps to tie up axle/springs to get to safety.

We installed the Moryde equalizer and wetbolts on our trailer, and like it so far. Installation was easy. Nice rubber bushings (not sure correct term) in the equalizer. All brass bushings included with the kit.
Thanks. I just watched the MOR/ryde equalized video and really like this idea. We already are using wet-bolts so it should be an easy installation.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

rough roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
Gald you and the family are safe Dave. Any idea how this happened?
There is no way of knowing for sure.
I suspect rough roads. On the road home there was miles of road construction. There were places in Minnesota where we used the left lane of I-90 due to the poor road surface. There were also some nasty bridge/over pass approachs as well as a few deep pot-holes.
OR
Metal Fatigue,
Poor Heat Treatment.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Called Lippert

I called Lippert with the serial number from our axle tag. They knew exactly how the axle was configured when it left their plant and for whom. They have the exact replacement for the Equa-Flex and suggested that the 2,600 lb leaf springs be replaced with the 3K; an exact fit. They stated that “we configure the axles as requested by the RV manufacturer”. I wish now that I had replaced the leaf springs with 3K springs when we installed the wet-bolts. We now have an idea for the parts cost.
We provided the tow company with the part numbers and a photo of the axle tag but still haven't heard a word from the tow company.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Dave, how is the repair work coming along?
Old 11-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Well. The 4 new 3,000 springs were supposed to be installed 10 days ago but they realized that the Equa-Flex was damaged and also needed replacement.
So, maybe we can pick it up this week.
I finally had a talk with the mechanic to learn what was really going on. I was happy to learn that the wet bolt bushings were still in good shape. He will make sure to install them with the grease hole horizontal and grease them afterward. Of course the cost when up over $300.00; the cost of the equa-flex.
It will be good to have a new suspension with heavy springs and I have been concerned about how long those equa-flex unit last.
Are you ready for deer season?
A nice buck ran away from the Veteran Service this morning; right out of the city park!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Finished

The work on the Cruiser was finished this morning and we picked her up early this afternoon. We sure cannot complain (4) new 3K Springs / (2) new Equa-Flex / Wet-Bolts and Shackles plus Labor for $1K; and AAA picked up all of the emergency towing. They even greased the wet-bolts and sent out a tech to help us hitch up.
I think my DW was apprehensive about getting back on the Interstate System but the Cruiser towed well all of the way home. Once home I rolled under the RV on the dolly and was happy with the workmanship; they cleaned things up and even reinstalled my u-bolt lock nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9431.jpg (170.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9459.jpg (221.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9438.jpg (186.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Now that looks pretty darn good, and the price doesn't sound out of line at all.
So now you are just about ready to roll west again next spring?

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm not hunting this year. I had cataract surgery last wed. Can't do much for awhile till that gets healed up.
Good luck to you tho.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Camping World LET US DOWN

I am not sure if I mentioned that while broken down on the side of the expressway we called Camping World only 26 miles down the road from our location. They instructed us NOT to deliver our 5th wheel to the Camping World location as there was NO ROOM for us on their lot and it would take many weeks for them look at out trailer.
I wrote to Camping World about our treatment and they actually called us to explain that they can not hire enough qualified RV repair personnel nor do they have the repair facilities large enough to accommodate the demand. I suggested that they organize a nationwide training facility to produce the technicians that they need and quickly get to work building larger repair facilities.
WHAT A LET DOWN; we have been members for years and when we needed them they closed the door in out face.
Please remind me: Why do we own their membership?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
Site Team

Dave---why do you own their membership??
I quit some years ago, and told them to stop sending me their junk in the mail. I even resorted stuffing their crap back in the return envelope and sending it back to them with a note stating -- STOP SENDING THIS JUNK!
I must have finally got thru to them because we no longer are being spammed in the mail.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

last of the repairs

The tires were the last of the repairs. The tire on the axle where the spring broke was missing chunks of rubber and had to be replaced. The tire center talked me into Load Range F tires for just not much more money. We are hoping they perform as well as the same load range E tires that we have been running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AIMG_0490.jpg (266.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg AIMG_0492 (2).JPG (217.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg AIMG_0477.jpg (222.8 KB, 5 views)