Old 10-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

BROKEN SPRING and EQUA-FLEX:

BROKEN SPRING and EQUA-FLEX:
1st major break down in 10 years thatís 24,000 miles!! We were on I-90 and 100 miles from home when we broke a spring causing the two passenger side tires to press together. The RAMís engine bogged down and I noticed a cloud of white smoke generated by the tires. We managed to get off onto the shoulder just before a guard rail, this on a nasty left-hand corner. I dialed 911 and spoke with the State Patrol, activated the 4-way flashers and posted orange 5 gallon pails every 20 yards behind the 5th wheel as traffic buzzed by at 70mph. DW got AAA on the phone but they were not having luck locating a tow service that could do the job. The State Patrol approved of my blaze orange pails, listened to our woes and informed us of a tow company that could handle the largest of semi-rigs. I immediately called the said tow company, when they learned that we had a 5th wheel and NOT a semi-flat-bed they dispatched help. We re-contacted AAA and got them onto the correct page and AAA re-contacted the tow company; thank heavens. As I calmed the DW a young man from the tow company showed up in a small car. He placed a strap onto the rear axle and ratcheted away from the front axle. DW now called Camping World just down I-90 BUT it would take them over 4 weeks before repairs and had nowhere to store our 5th wheel. The young man from the tow company informed us that their semi tractor trailer repair facility was only 4 miles away and they have a secure yard. We slowly towed the 5th wheel to their lot and unhitched; returning the next day with the family to unload our personal belongings.
Repairs pending: 2 springs and a new pair of equa-flex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9356.jpg (180.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Really glad you are all ok. You were lucky in that you had a good place to pull off. Keep us all posted.
2007 Cruiser CF30SK
Glide Ride Pin Box
Reese 16K Slider
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Looks like a nasty mess Dave. Fortunate you are both OK. Are you going to do the repair, or the semi repair facility?
I suppose it would kind of hard to do it yourself in their yard.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Looks like a nasty mess Dave. Fortunate you are both OK. Are you going to do the repair, or the semi repair facility?
I suppose it would kind of hard to do it yourself in their yard.

Those Blystone folks have a huge repair facility and there is no way for me to get the 5th wheel home. Their online reviews are positive and they sure saved our bacon. So, I will trust them to do a good job.

I figure they will want to change both spring on the rear axle and a pair of new equa-flex.
Any thoughts about which brand of equalizers are best?
Do you think the Wet Bolt Bushings survived?

Things on the side of I-90 were going poorly until the State Troopers showed up and we arranged for a rescue. I'm glad AAA will pick up the rescue. I wish I could raise heck with the State of Minnesota and the poor condition of their I system. There were some nasty pot holes, broken pavement and poor bridge approaches.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

A friend of mine had a similar failure and only had to replace the spring, no damage to the equa-flex. Only problem was the spring had to be sent from Lippert, no one in our area had his size. Good that there was no other damage. Keep an eye on the tire as his broke a belt from the impact and didn't notice it right away.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Dave, have you ever considered switching over to the complete Dexter setup?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Gald you and the family are safe Dave. Any idea how this happened?
Old 10-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Glad your okay Dave. I’ve heard of people using straps to tie up axle/springs to get to safety.

We installed the Moryde equalizer and wetbolts on our trailer, and like it so far. Installation was easy. Nice rubber bushings (not sure correct term) in the equalizer. All brass bushings included with the kit.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

MOR/ryde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
Glad your okay Dave. Iíve heard of people using straps to tie up axle/springs to get to safety.

We installed the Moryde equalizer and wetbolts on our trailer, and like it so far. Installation was easy. Nice rubber bushings (not sure correct term) in the equalizer. All brass bushings included with the kit.
Thanks. I just watched the MOR/ryde equalized video and really like this idea. We already are using wet-bolts so it should be an easy installation.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

rough roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
Gald you and the family are safe Dave. Any idea how this happened?
There is no way of knowing for sure.
I suspect rough roads. On the road home there was miles of road construction. There were places in Minnesota where we used the left lane of I-90 due to the poor road surface. There were also some nasty bridge/over pass approachs as well as a few deep pot-holes.
OR
Metal Fatigue,
Poor Heat Treatment.