Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

On our 08 CF32BL the caulking keeps spliting around the cornermouldings on thefrontbelow the bedroom where the fiberglass meets the plastic that goes around the pin box. Also around the very front cargo door. TheRV shop in town told me to remove moldings andfill the backside with white siliconebecause of the flexing going on. I did that and it split again. I have to recaulkthese areasalmost after every trip. Any ideas? because I have no hair left on head.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Pretty much the same thing here. I have removed old caulk and replaced with Silaprene or Dicor and seems like after every trip we get back and I find more caulk split around the storage doors or the windows. We never had this issue with our old Cruiser. To be honestI am getting pretty tired of it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
This was an issue with my Cruiser, I had the factory remove the entire underside plastic and they were able to correct it. I don't know exactly what they did but it appears they replaced the entire underside cover and under the trim they have used Silaprene underneath, screwed it back down and it off with a tight line of Silaprene. This has worked.

I have no other caulking that has cracked on the unit.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

mwebber 78, good that your's has been fixed.

Hunter11, this is a quality issue because in looking some other post were are not the only ones with this problem
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I've have the exact same problem since day one. I'm going to call crossroads and see what they suggest. I can't drive 600 miles back to the factory to get it fixed

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Randy at Crossroads said before recaulking use a product called Autoprep to clean surface. I think you can get this at an Auto parts store or an Automotive paint store.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

The automotive paint store I deal with in my business recommended 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner # 08984 to clean the moulding and the fiberglass where caulking is to be applied. Be careful with decals by gently wipeing with 3M on a cloth so as not to get on decal. Andy's RV Service in Decatur AL who I trust very much and has never steered me wrong suggested DAP 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant 50 YR durability white as the sealant to use due to the flexibilty that is needed in this particular area. Hope this helps. If this does not workCrossroads will definity get another call.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
New Camper

Hello...This is my first time on the forum. My husband and I are considering buying a crusier sport, 2007. Is the caulking problem common to all models? I see that Hunter said it wasn't a problem on his "old one". What year / model was it? I'm still tring to make up our minds on buying this camper. Any advise or opinions would be appreciated.
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Well the good news is all you need to do is LOOK at the caulking. If it's in good shape and not cracked then I wouldn't worry to much. I hate to tell everyone but cracks in caulking is a common issue on ALL of the mid-profile camper's who actually travel our highway system. They use alum. framing tied into a light weight frame.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

hello pnewman, this is the only problem we have had with our cruiser. I looked at many different 5ers before we purchased and I can assure you the quality of the cruiser surpassed others more expensive. This is our 2nd crossroads product and will not be our last. If I continue to have thisproblem I will not hestate to contact the factory for repair. The have an excellent reputation for resolving issues with their RV's.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

We had an 05 Cruiser 29RK. No problems with the caulk on it. I still had to "touch" it up frorm time to time but not like I have to do on our PP.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I was washing our 2009 32BL today and noticed the same cracking caulk. I guess I'll need to keep an eye on it.
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
New Camper

Thanks so much for the responses. We have thouroughly checked this one out and have decided to purchase it. Hopefully we will be "cruisin' " by the weekend !
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I did the reseal just like I was instructed to.ThisWednesday we leave on a 5 hr trip. Will let you know how the DAP silicone held up when we get back Monday. Just a thought if this doesn't work I found some double sided eternabond. I wonder if sandwiching between the moulding and the fiberglass and plastic would work? It says for disimilar materials. Whats your thought?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We are back from our trip and the repair held up with no splitting of the silicone anywhere including around the front cargo door. The problem seems to be finally solved!! I found autoprep at autozone if anyone needs to know.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

What does this "auto prep" do? Does anyone know if it will harm gelcoat?

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Autoprep will clean the surfaces of gelcoat and moulding and will allow silicone to stick to gelcoat. I think it won't hurt gelcoat but be careful on the decals. I put autoprep on rag and wiped area. After I resealed and silicone cured for a few days I used some turtlewax Ice liquid polish and brought the shine back where the autoprep dulled the finish a little bit.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I went yesterday to have my annual inspection done and they had 2 new kingstons on the lot and both of them had the same issue with the caulking split. The tech said other brands of 5ers give them more problems than the crossroads 5ers in this area, some with just people walking in them on the lot will split the caulking on the front.