Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

CD player replacement

We just bought a used CC 28FB and when we picked it up we were told the CD player didn't work and the door on the player didn't stay shut. Does anyone have ideas for a replacement besides the factory unit?

We were fortunate to find a high quality lightly used unit and fixing this one interior flaw would be nice.

Thanks,

BRUCE
BruceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

12 Volts

Remember, the majority of your rig's electrics are 12 volts. Therefore, depending on your cash-flow and overall requirements, a trip to Best Buy to the car audio section may solve your problem. Mounting brackets may need to be fabricated - single DIN vs Double DIN size...

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Cruiser 28fb AM/FM CD player replacement

Thanks for the advise. Haven't shopped for audio equipment for years so the Best Buy idea makes sense. We've got one here in the community I live. I'll check it out and see if my install skills can tackle this.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Check with razmataz if they still have their radio for sale in the classifieds section...$149 bucks is a good deal

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7338

I'f not, Crutchfield has an actual RV unit for 200 bucks, should drop right in where you existing unit is (assuming double din size)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804RV20....html?tp=48825

I only shop best buy as a last resort. They for sure will not have RV specific systems. Crutchfield will literally walk you through any installation issues on the phone and often has better prices than Best Buy.

If you go cheaper with a single DIN unit, you'll probably be splicing speaker wires. I'm either getting lazy or wiser when it comes to these projects, so I'm biased to install the same/similar unit.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Yes!

I agree - this is a far more detailed response - which makes more sense. The Best Buy comment was merely to get you started. I was not aware that Crutchfield had this unit - it would be worth every cent, their Customer Service is exceptional. They recently talked me through (60 mins straight on the phone) a head unit wiring job on an install I did in my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Check with razmataz if they still have their radio for sale in the classifieds section...$149 bucks is a good deal

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7338

I'f not, Crutchfield has an actual RV unit for 200 bucks, should drop right in where you existing unit is (assuming double din size)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_804RV20....html?tp=48825

I only shop best buy as a last resort. They for sure will not have RV specific systems. Crutchfield will literally walk you through any installation issues on the phone and often has better prices than Best Buy.

If you go cheaper with a single DIN unit, you'll probably be splicing speaker wires. I'm either getting lazy or wiser when it comes to these projects, so I'm biased to install the same/similar unit.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
Retired Navy
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

single DIN vs Double DIN size? Ok guys, I really do appreciate the help and advice but I need to tell you I've had one other travel trailer (1977 Arabian) and then this one. So what does that mean DIN? Plus, I'm not an audio techie so I'd like plug and play if possible. I am considering a portable Bose speaker and using iPod/iPads for music. I'd still like to figure out how to get the CD player door to stay closed..so replacing is still an option. Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Single dim is a standard size used to replace most radios. A double dim, often is a great size for replacing a navigation system, because it is 2x taller.

Double Din:

Single Din:

Hope this helps.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
Site Team

I like the Bose idea. We have one at home and I have thought of getting another for the camper. They're a pretty nice system.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Team

After thinking about this, it might be hard to find a car based double din radio with the ability to play DVD's and sound surround.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We've decided CDs are not the priority. Radio, satellite capability, and something that replaces a door open broken CD player. Hope we can find one with an auxiliary port to plug in the iPods or phones with music loaded.

Bruce & Sherry
2013 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi
2005 Cruiser CT28FB
and Lilly the standard poodle
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Our 300BH came with this unit. Crutchfield carries it for $400. It's a great receiver and has bluetooth. We never put cds in now, just sync the ipod/iphone/android devices and the music plays wirelessly through the receiver. very neat. Also plays usb and secure digital (SD) cards. Its great because I can be sitting outside play all the music on my phone.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Let us know what you decide in the end. Always nice to hear about resolutions to problems.

Roselyn and Darrell
Retired Navy
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

We decided the Bose meets more needs than replacing the unit inside. We're outdoors so much we wanted music there just as much as inside. Spending time in the unit will help us understand if that system is a bigger priority or just becomes AM/FM for news etc. Plus, the Bose was on sale at Costco for $220.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Bruce & Sherry
2005 Cruiser CT28FB
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Good deal on the Bose plus it's Costco, so you are covered if you have issues

Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Yes. I was surprised but glad to see the mark down. It is the previous Bose model as they have recently upgraded that wireless speaker. Got it out of the box and had it playing music in less than 5 min.

We are also replacing the camper queen mattress with full queen. Ordered a gel type mattress from Costco for that. We figured sleeping comfortably is one priority so with both of us being tall, and a full queen fits - why not get a good replacement.

Bruce & Sherry
2005 Cruiser CT28FB

Tags
am/fm radio, audio, cd player