Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just got our new 2100 CF305SK and a GMC 2500HD Duramax Std Bed (6'-6") and are trying to decide on a 5th wheel hitch. I have read to the point of nausea the pros and cons of needing or not needing a slider. We are by nature very careful (knock on wood) and our dealer says we really do not need a slider hitch, especially with the new fiberglass cap that is rounded off somewhat on the 2100 models. He has hooked the RV it to his short bed truck and says there is plenty of turning angle if you are careful.

Can anyone comment on their experience with the new fiberglass cap design. If I decide to go with a slider, I am thinking of the Reese Pro Series 15K w/Kwik-Slide. But would rather not spend the $$$s for something I might never use. Manual sliders are not the easiest to use when often all one needs to do is go back and forth a few more times. Is it often on the road that one needs to turn sharp enough that a slider is needed?

Also does anyone have experience with the PullRite Superglide 16K?

We appreciate anyone's comments. We are long time live aboard sailors but are new to RVing.
ChuckNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Can't comment on the new front cap, it will be a few weeks before our new unit comes in. It is not as new as yours, just a 2011 model, not a 2100 model. With the old front cap design, I have not used my slider since about 2005, guess I'll use it even less with the new cap.

Unless you are making a U-turn with the steering wheel at full lock, you won't get the fiver at 90 degrees to the truck. A 90 degree turn at full lock will only result in an angle around 54 degrees.

If I was putting together a new setup and wanted to spend a few more $$ for insurance, I would get the Sidewinder (now Reese Revolution). It works all the time. Just my $0.02.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

My brain must be off today! Ours is a 2011 also. I am concerned about extra stresses a Sidewinder puts on the pin box and 5th wheel frame. Do you know if Crossroads is okay with a Sidewinder? Also with the Sidewinder does essentially moving the pivot point towards the back of the truck cause any adverse towing effects?

I take it that you are staying with your non-sliding hitch. Not sure what an RKI bed is on your truck to be able to compare it with ours.
ChuckNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

WOW, a "new 2100 CF305SK and a GMC 2500HD Duramax Std Bed (6'-6")" are they still usingLippert axles, what about hydrocarbon fuels? My DW says don't do this,as I have the right to remain silent, but sometimes don't have the ability!

Congratulations on the new rigs,they sound GREAT!
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNSue
My brain must be off today! Ours is a 2011 also. I am concerned about extra stresses a Sidewinder puts on the pin box and 5th wheel frame. Do youÂ* know if Crossroads is okay with a Sidewinder? Also with the Sidewinder does essentially moving the pivot point towards the back of the truck cause any adverse towing effects?I take it that you are staying with your non-sliding hitch. Not sure what an RKI bed is on your truck to be able to compare it with ours.

The Sidewinder can't put side stress on the fiver frame, it is a 100% unconstrained free pivot point. Unless the length of the Sidewinder is longer than the factory installed Lippert extended pin box, then vertical stress is no worse either. Hunter11 has a Paradise Pointe with factory installed Sidewinder, so guess the factory is OK with it. Maybe he will comment on how well it tows and backs up, but I've not seen anyone comment about having adverse towing characteristics.

Just for clarification, I have a Reese manual slider that I haven't used in over 5 yrs. Hard to justify spending money to replace it with a Sidewinder or something else, especially with the new front cap coming soon.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Larry is correct we do have a Sidewinder on our Paradise Pointe and it came from the factory that way but it was a one off deal. I was very sceptical of this hitch when we bought the trailer because I knew nothing about it and I have a LWB truck. After towing with it for over 2 years now I can say I am very impressed with it. I can back and turn this trailer better than I could our old Cruiser 29RK and this trailer is 3 to 4 feet longer.

As long as you get the correct wedge that is made for your hitch you will not have any problems at all. I would call Crossroads and Lippert if you were interested in one and just see what they say about it. I would highly recommend one instead of a slider hitch.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Hello,

I have a CF28BH with a Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab with a short bed. I have a Reese 15K quick slide and I slide it every time I do any backing... Better safe than sorry. I have upgraded to a remote activator (Part Number:30079) for my Reese hitch. I am able to unlock the hitch from inside the cab and can slide to the maneuver </span>position without getting out of the cab (and vice versa). I love the security of the slide and the convenience of the remote activator and would highly recommend it.

2005 Cruiser 28BH
lmakepeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have the reese 15,000 quick slide and have to use the slide when I park in my driveway.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I don't have a slider with my short bed GMC and have not had any issues. You won't be able to do a 90 degree angle but with the new cap design you can turn it pretty darn sharp without issues.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Chuck, I'm in the same spot as you, we have a 2011, CF305SK on order, trying to decide which hitch to get and if I need to get a slider with my shortbed Ford. My thought is If the slider saves the rear windshield one time or the corner of the 5'r one time it would be worth the cost. My thinking at this point is a Curt Q5 20K hitch, probably with a slider. I personally know a few people with this hitch and they all go on and on about it, it has a very good rating on Amazon from users (for what that is worth). My brother who has been towing a 5'r for 4 years said there were a few times he wish he had a slider. I figure $200 bucks now may pay off later, if not my loss but I'll have it if I need it. Good luck with your choice.

Flyone
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I have had the Pullrite Superglide for 5 years...love it...a little expensive..yes...great...very much so....have the same for our SK and Montana...
** MEMBER of the MASON-DIXON BUNCH **
** MEMBER of the Northeast Adventure Rally Group **
** MEMBER of the Montana Owners **
** MEMBER of Jayco Owners forum **
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote