Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

I was typing a little too quick and got sloppy. To correct my self I was thinking of going from C to D load rating, not E.
jsd493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

I have 6000 miles on my tires and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
I have 6000 miles on my tires and so far so good.

But how old are they?

If you put your Rv year and model in you signature it would help with answers.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #24
Weekend Camper

2016 CR Z1 32 bhs

Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Jack from the frame and put safety stands behind and infront of shackles ,take all 4 off and take them in to get replaced . Trailer will not go anywhere .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

I have about 6500 miles on and they are three years old, show no signs of dry rot. I get it blowouts happen. Smoke33 good for you I will have better peace of mine changing all four of them out. We take at least one long trip every year this year from Pennsylvania to Vermont. I don't want to risk delaying any trip or causing damage to the trailer or most important hurting my family or someone else.

for around $500 to me, money well spent. just need to take a shoot at the right tire. way too much info with questionable sources with the internet these days. Right now leaning toward goodyear.
jsd493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd493 View Post
Had my first blowout a few weeks ago and have been reading a lot about tires only to find no good answers. So far common good rating I have seen are for maxxis, Goodyear endurance, and marathon. Any thoughts? I do think I will go from a C to an E rating.

More bothersome is where to jack up a trailer, the axle or the frame? 6,000 lb Superlite 29BH.

Also, I do not have a good trailer facility near me and going to buy the tires and have them mounted at a local garage. I wanted to put the trailer on blocks and take all 4 tires at once. would you block the axle or frame? I read all the documents that came with my TT and there is nothing there about jacking location.
No need for you to take them off.....unless you really want the exercise.

Talk to the tire shop.....rest assured their jacks and impacts can go outside.

Even Walmart will change them on the trailer in the parking lot.

Don’t over think this it’s an everyday occurrence for a reputable tire shop.

As far as load range, you can always run a e tire at a lower pressure but not vice versa for a d or c tire. Just make sure the rims can handle the extra pressure.

Going up in load range on trailer tires is all positive imo.
Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Wow, just realized how old this thread was when I saw my earlier post from MY blowout

but I would suggest, while changing, to go to an LT tire and be done with it...

and do take the trailer into shop, they will do it in the parking lot, been there done that
Old 05-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

More bothersome is where to jack up a trailer, the axle or the frame? 6,000 lb Superlite 29BH.

Also, I do not have a good trailer facility near me and going to buy the tires and have them mounted at a local garage. I wanted to put the trailer on blocks and take all 4 tires at once. would you block the axle or frame? I read all the documents that came with my TT and there is nothing there about jacking location.[/QUOTE]

I gave up jacking the 5th wheel into the air. I modified my grandfathers old ramps to be wider and higher. Now I just pull or push the trailer onto both of the ramps with our tow vehicle. The axle that isn't on the ramp just hangs there ready for maintenance. Before easing it off of the ramps we:
  • repacked the bearings.
  • cleaned and inspected the brakes.
  • greased the wet-bolts.
  • adjusted the brakes.
  • inspected the wheels and tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7964 (800x600).jpg (346.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #30
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Wow, just realized how old this thread was when I saw my earlier post from MY blowout

but I would suggest, while changing, to go to an LT tire and be done with it...

and do take the trailer into shop, they will do it in the parking lot, been there done that
I agree about LT tires. They somehow got a bad rap online for no reason that I've ever heard but it just won't die. They hold up better and are more forgiving. They are over engineered to protect human life in a vehicle while being abused through ignorance and carelessness. After talking to a very knowledgeable online seller who also ran a fleet of trailers, I made the dealer put them on to replace the factory tires before I handed over the check for my current unit. In 3 years and thousands of miles I've never had a problem. I think LT tires just come with more "overkill" built in up front but over rating ST tires sufficiently will work
Old 05-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd493 View Post
Had my first blowout a few weeks ago and have been reading a lot about tires only to find no good answers. So far common good rating I have seen are for maxxis, Goodyear endurance, and marathon. Any thoughts? I do think I will go from a C to an E rating.

Also, I do not have a good trailer facility near me and going to buy the tires and have them mounted at a local garage. I wanted to put the trailer on blocks and take all 4 tires at once. would you block the axle or frame? I read all the documents that came with my TT and there is nothing there about jacking location.
Going up two grades of tires, a “C” to an “E”, is probably unnecessary and may even do more damage to your Rv. Most advise no more than one letter load rating upgrade. A “C” to a “D”. I think you will get too hard of a ride going up two grades.

Also, if you don’t have one, consider getting a TIre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). These will often, not always, give you warning when your tire develops a leak or is low before it blows.

If you need to remove all tires, block on your frame. Jack under your frame, or if doing one tire change etc, you can jack under the spring axle bolts.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote