Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

I am totally ignorant on this topic so I need some help.

We took our Cruiser out this weekend on a three day trip. The outside temperatures were chilly so we had the furnace running at times when camped. In the evening when the sun went down the temperature cooled and we were inside we noticed the walls sweating in places. The next morning we opened all the vents before we went sightseeing for the day. When we returned all was drying and odor free.

Am I doing something incorrect and is this normal?

Art

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have seen condensation on the inside of the windows under those conditions but never on the walls.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

We have not seen condensation on the inside of our Cruiser to date other than on the AC and just around it on the ceiling. We only see that when the AC is running and it is very hot/humid outside. We have not spent much time in it when it is cold out so I cannot say that we wouldn't see it if we were running the furnace. I can tell you that in our old 5er we saw condensationon several occassions when it was cold out and we ran the furnace. In our Cruiser we almost never run the furnace instead we use a couple of small ceramic heaters. I am wondering if the difference is that the electric heaters don't produce as much water vaporas the propane combustion? But then the furnace is a sealed unit that vents directly outside so that is probably not it.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Condensation on the windows is "normal" in those conditions. Make sure you have the vents cracked open when operating the furnace. It helps reduce condensation.

The Sunset Trail is my second trailer and I camp in those conditions quite often in Spring/Fall here in Michigan. I have not seen the walls perspire, so I can't really comment on that. Many are reluctant to keep the vents cracked, but I have not noticed the trailer being colder ... just less condensation.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I have camped in some really cool nights here in New England. I have had a lot of condensation on the lower panel of the windows when I fail to leave them cracked open. It is amazing how little air movement it take to reduce significantly the condensation. I leave the bottoms of the windows open a 1/8" and leave the roof vents (which are covered) open a 1"-2" at night. I also run my primary heat from a ceramic heater by Holmes. The furnace is backup only.

When people shower, we open the vent entirely and a side window and run the high speed vent fan during and about 10 minutes after the shower. I store wet towels outside to dry. When cooking, open the kitchen window slightly and run the stove vent fan.

There are many ways in which to reduce condensation, air movement is the primary cure.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We have a small dehumidifier we run at night no problem with condensation. You would be surprise how much water is in the dehumidifier.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I use the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen area to control humidity by setting the temp to open when it gets to a certain temp. That control humidity really well.

Preston, Retired Army (1995}

2010 CF27RLX being towed by a 2005 F350 dually 6.0 Powerstroke, automatic FX4, Airlift Airbags, Reese 15K Hitch
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Wehad some condensation on the sideout wall after three days of snow and wind and 20 degree temps in Montana. We also opened the vents and ran the stove and bath fans to move the air. Used the ceramic heater during the day and the furnance at night. always warm and got it dried out fine. Impressed with the warmth of the unit and will definetly be insulating the front storage area in spring.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We had condensation in the closet, to the point that our clothes were wet on the side that touched the wall. we are not happy about that, we didn't like putting on wet clothes, we thought maybe the front of the trailer wasn't insulated between the cap and the closet wall. Our dealer just brushed it off, he said there wasn't nothing he could do about that. Wetake a small dehumidifier( they are notvery small and they are heavy) and run it when we take showers , cook and have to leave the closet doors open all the time. Not much point in having closet doors when we have to leave them open all the time. Dry camping in cool weather is a problem becausewe have to run thegenerator to runthe dehumidfier.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Early this spring we camped when the night time temps hit mid 20's. The only place we had wall condensation was in the slide floor levelbehind the couch. I only knew this because I pulled the couch out to get the plastic clip from the day / night shade that keeps falling out.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We get condensation on the bedroom slide wall also especially on the side where me and my cat sleep. My husband's side doesn't usually nearly as much condensation. I wonder what that means?

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

He's cold blooded.lol
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote