Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Was outside today and noticed a wet spot on the concrete right underneath where the fresh water tank is on our 06 CF29CK. I am positive the tank was drained in my winterizing routine last Nov. I crawled under the trailer to examine more closely and the bottom of the fresh water holding tank which is covered in the black plastic under cover had condensation or water droplets all around the area of the tank. I suspect that since today our temperature got into the 50's the air inside the empty tank was probably much colder. We have had very cold temperatures at night. So was the warm air under the trailer condensing water drops from all the cold air in the tank??? Anybody notice this when the weather turns suddenly warm after a real cold spell?? Edited by: Pull Dog
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My water tank is supported by a piece of plywood which in turn is supported by angle iron stringers. My membrane is not against the tank but against the plywood. Could yours be different? If the droplets are only under the tank, then I would agree it is condensation. There could also be some trapped water between the membrane and tank (or plywood).

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yes the water droplets are just immediately under the tank. I'm not sure there is plywood between the tank and black plastic covering. There is one strip of two inch channel iron bolted to each side of the frame and I can see the tank has apparently sagged somewhat on each side of the angle so I would say there is no plywood between the two. However this sounds like a good idea and may have been added to later models. When Spring arrives I willdropthis plastic undercover from the bottom and peek inside to see how it is actually supported. Looks like this channel is supporting most of the weight thus the sagging on each side.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I think CR added the additional support starting with the 07 models because a lot of people were concerned about the amount of sagging the tanks showed when full. I don't think any of them fell out (I could be wrong about that) but CR did add more support. I would agree that it is probably condensation.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have noticed that same condition when I checked on our RV. The RV was being stored inside of a huge building with a cement floor. It was the first warm string of days after months of freezing winter weather.

I was shocked to find a large wet spot under the RV. The under belly liner near the fresh water tank was covered with hanging water droplets. It was only condensation. There were no holes in the liner. Keep in mind draining the fresh water tank does NOT remove all of the water. There is less than an inch of water that remains and seems to have no ill effect on the tank.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Thanks to all those who took time to reply. I am sure this is all the cold air inside the fresh water tank and the warm air on the outside.Today the temperature fell by 20 degrees and the condensation stopped.

My fix for the sagging tank will be to add two additional sections of 2 inch channel iron, one of each side of the existing iron.They will bolt to the framelike the one that is there. This will be an easy insurance pollicy for the tank to fall out on the highway or for further sagging of the tank.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Pull Dog, that's what several of us have done a few years back. When I pulled the membrane down, the tank was held up by two flimsy channel iron stringers with a thin 3/8 plywood panel under the tank. I added two more channels, bolted to the frame at each end and changed the plywood to 5/8". That tank ain't saggin' now!

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote