Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

converter fan

The fan on our converter is slowly dying. Has anyone replaced just the fan, or do you have to replace the whole unit?

2008 29CK
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
Site Team

When this started happening on our unit it was still under warranty. They replaced the unit like this.
WFCO WF8955MBA WF-8955MBA 55 Amp RV Trailer Power Center Main Board Assembly Camper Trailer RV

This would be a place to start with asking questions as to what board you would need for yours.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
When this started happening on our unit it was still under warranty. They replaced the unit like this.
WFCO WF8955MBA WF-8955MBA 55 Amp RV Trailer Power Center Main Board Assembly Camper Trailer RV

This would be a place to start with asking questions as to what board you would need for yours.
Thanks, Lloyd. I replaced the old, non-"smart" converter in our last RV with a WFCO model. When the fan in that RV started going bad I did some research and found that many said the life span of the fan in a converter was under 5 years. I'll call them; can't hurt[emoji4]

2008 29CK
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The fan on our converter started making noise last year so I replaced it, I was able to get a part number off the fan and did a quick search on the internet and found a replacement. The fan was the exact same fan out of desktop computer, it even came with the same push-on connectors, so far so good. I think the cost was about $12, and it was easy to replace.

Me and the 'Girls'
Jim, Kristina, Brianna, Kailee, Emma, Nalee the dog and Scout the cat
(even the dog and cat are girls)
Vermtown Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Team

WOW!
Good info. Monte should be happy to see your post.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'll be doing the converter check (disconnect batteries and turn on 12 appliances while plugged in to shore power; should see no voltage drop) before I attempt replacing the fan.

2008 29CK
Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I checked the converter and it's fine. The fan seems to cycle on and off very quickly when you turn on one additional light. I just installed 9 LED, overhead lights to replace the old ones and they can all be on without the converter fan coming on; BIG difference in current draw.

2008 29CK
Old 02-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I checked the converter and it's fine. The fan seems to cycle on and off very quickly when you turn on one additional light. I just installed 9 LED, overhead lights to replace the old ones and they can all be on without the converter fan coming on; BIG difference in current draw.

2008 29CK
That is the big advantage of changing to LEDs, less load on the battery and therefore the converter as well. Easier for dry camping.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote