Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
New Camper

In our Cruiser, we have the sofa-bed. I would like to replace it as it is uncomfortable to sit on and the bed is not suitable for my 77 year old mother. I'm not crazy about the air mattress beds, although I am going to see if one would fit on the current couch vs the couch mattress and see what happens. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I'd be eager to listen. thank you.
scarletred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We have a topper that we use on the sofa bed. It looks like the pillow top on mattresses in the stores. It is only about two inches thick and can fold up into the couch. It makes the mattress much more tolerable. I don't know if it would be good enough for your mother but it works for me. For what it's worth, IMO, you'll never make a sofa bed feel like the real deal!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
New Camper

Is it a foam topper, or do you mean the tuffed kind? We actually put a regular queen mattress on our bed too. thanks a lot!

2007 Chevorlet Avalanche

seasonal campers
Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Howdy

we have the air mattress sofa in our 08 crusier. While it is more comfortable to sleep on than a regular sofa bed it is a pain in the a## to set up & take down also it srung a leak & had to have it replaced... would not have another. Also we spent about $300.00 to have the sofa cushions re-stuffed with the proper grade of foam, makes sitting on much better.

Cal
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We replaced the sofa with two recliners. Have no children or grandchildren thus no need for the extra bed. We use the trailer for wintering in Arizona and love the recliners.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We have the blow up mattress in our Zinger and are happy with it.We use it when the nephew comes along and my 65 Y/O mother in law has slept on it without complaint, you can put more or less air in it for a firmer or softer sleeping surface.

With that being said if I had a trailer that was more expensive or was not an entry level trailer I would have wanted some thing a little better. I would think the air mattress would depend on the tolerance or health of your mother.

2001 Chevy Suburban

Two Kids

One Wife

One Dog
jimmbo407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Our topper has foam in it but it's tufted also. If you look at mattresses in a showroom it's as though you peeled the top off of one of those pillow top mattresses. I don't remember where we got it but it works pretty good. The thing I like best about it is I can just fold it up in the couch with the mattress and it fits.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
New Camper

Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I never even thought about having the cushions redone.

2007 Chevorlet Avalanche

seasonal campers