Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
New Camper

Recently I returned from a camping trip and noticed my camper was not sitting level. After checking this out I noticed 4 cracks in the frame that the pin box attaches to. I have an 04 Cruiser 28BH (a light 5th wheel).

Immediately I contacted Crossroads and they said that this is no longer under warranty to my dismay and sent me to Lippert (manufacture of the frame and pin box). I have always recommended my trailer to others, but now I am frustrated. I called a welder out to take a look and he stated that one of the welds was not done properly to begin with. I know that my camper is worth nothing like this and I cannot even drive it anywhere. I would think a 5th wheel should last longer than 5 years...wouldn't you?

Has anyone had this problem before? I was reading in my manual about reporting safety concerns to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). I would think that if the frame is faulty it is a GIANT SAFETY CONCERN. I am thinking of reporting this..should I?

I have pictures that I can e-mail.

2004 Cruiser 28BH
debbie.ellison@att.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't recall anyone having this particular problem. If you have pictures that show the weld was bad originally I would get them to Lippert and see what they will do. Then I would consider the other options as they will take you a long time to resolve.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Do a search over on rv.net about Lippert frame problems. You will find plenty of reading. They make such a wonderful product............
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We had the same problem with the Lippert frame on our Hornet 5th wheel. It was a 2005 model. Had to leave it in S Dakota ( on the way home to WI) and return a week later to do a temporary weld/patch to get it home. DH, who was a long haul semi driver, estimated we were about 2 miles from complete breakthrough. Would have been a disaster at 65 mph.

Our dealer took the 5er in as trade on our Cruiser. Lippert got 20 pictures of the damage and the temporary fix. Did not want to work with the dealer or with us. I am hoping that Lippert learned something after those 2004-2005 frames.

The Hornet went back to the factory one year before, for a major rebuild. when we pointed out the problems and asked if there was a frame issue, Lippert told Keystone that was normal flex in the frame. well, I didn't think normal flex would leave a crack big enough to put my hand in.

I wish you luck with the problem. I believe the frame can be rewelded and braced to be safe again. But I'm not pulling it after that.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

This is a very common problem with the Lippert frame. The problem is it costs more to take them to court then to fix the frame and Lippert knows that.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Site Team

If the automobile Mfg. have to conform to strict safety measures I don't see why it should be any different for Lippert, OR, the RV mfg. be it CR or anyone else!!!
Every once in awhile you hear of a safety recall from one or the other of the auto mfg. If they run into a safety problem years after the auto is out of warranty it is usually recalled and addressed. It should be same for our RVs.
I think the NHTSA should be contacted. Something has to be done to put a stop to the inferior workmanship and overall poor quality of product that is being put on the market today.
It would be great as far as I'm concerned to see somebody with legitimate complaint start the ball rolling on this issue. Maybe even a class action law suit!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
New Camper

I have contacted LIppert and they offered to send someone out at my expense in excess of $1400.

2004 Cruiser 28BH
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
New Camper

All Lippert kept saying is, "sorry, but the warranty is only 2 years. Sorry......." I just cannot believe that Crossroads is using such inferrior products in their trailers!!!!

2004 Cruiser 28BH
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
New Camper

I just feel that nobody wants to take ownership of the problem and I keep getting passed around.

Crossroads knows that is only warrantied for 2 years, so why do they send me to Lippert.

Lippert must know it is a crappy product or they'd offer a resonable warranty.

A camper is not anything without a good frame or axle....

I do not know what I am going to do...bite the bullet and get it fixed then go buy a new trailer...or ???? I just feel that this will probably be a never ending problem.

I have lost all confidence in Crossroads because this is a major problem. What does it take a death for this to addressed...GET REAL!

2004 Cruiser 28BH
Old 07-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie.ellison@att.n
I just feel that nobody wants to take ownership of the problem and I keep getting passed around.Â*

Â*

Crossroads knows that is only warrantied for 2 years, so why do they send me to Lippert.

Â*

Â*

Â*

I do not know what I am going to do...bite the bullet and get it fixed then go buy a new trailer...or ????Â* I just feel that this will probably be a never ending problem.Â*

Â*

I have lost all confidence in Crossroads because this is a major problem.Â* What does it take a death for this to addressed...GET REAL!

Debbie,

I don't want to diminish the pain and frustration that you are dealing with, but every product has some percentage of problems, even serious problems after the warranty. How long is the warranty on a new house? A new washing machine? A new gas furnace? Someone could die from carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty furnace after the warranty and that would be really serious as well, and it has probably happened. However, I think the biggest problem for longer RV warranties is not the quality of the product, but the huge variables that exist in using (and abusing) an RV and the burden it puts on the supplier. How can Lippert prove in some cases that an owner didn't use a gooseneck extension or overstress the welds in some other way?

Anyway, I think your best option is to document the problem with pics and send a certified letter to Lippert requesting they pay for the repairs. Then go ahead and have a local welder do the repairs. Finally send all the info to Trailer Life's Action Line and let them help convince Lippert to reimburse you for some or all of the repair costs.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Does someone have pictures of the crack. I have a 2003 CF28BH. no problems yet, Just want to be aware

Thanks Chuck

2003 Cruiser cf28bh

12 in Kodiak hyd/disc brakes

new self installed rebuilt cooling unit for my Dometic frig

So. Calif
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Anyone know how long the Lippert frame warranty is on the new Cruisers? For some reason I thought it was longer than the standard 2 year Crossroad's warranty.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I may be wrong but doesn't Crossroads make the framing for the pinbox? I was under theimpression that Lippert made just the main box frame and axles. (I looked in my book and the axles and brake components have a two year warrantee). My Lippert book mentions the axles and maintenance/troubleshooting but nothing about the main box frame. Seems to me, a crack in the pin box area would be a Crossroads responsibility and be covered by the 5 year structural warrantee.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie.ellison@att.n
I just feel that nobody wants to take ownership of the problem and I keep getting passed around.

I do not know what I am going to do...bite the bullet and get it fixed then go buy a new trailer...or ???? I just feel that this will probably be a never ending problem.

I have lost all confidence in Crossroads because this is a major problem. What does it take a death for this to addressed...GET REAL!
Debbie,
I don't want to diminish the pain and frustration that you are dealing with, but every product has some percentage of problems, even serious problems after the warranty. How long is the warranty on a new house? A new washing machine? A new gas furnace? Someone could die from carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty furnace after the warranty and that would be really serious as well, and it has probably happened. However, I think the biggest problem for longer RV warranties is not the quality of the product, but the huge variables that exist in using (and abusing) an RV and the burden it puts on the supplier. How can Lippert prove in some cases that an owner didn't use a gooseneck extension or overstress the welds in some other way?

Anyway, I think your best option is to document the problem with pics and send a certified letter to Lippert requesting they pay for the repairs. Then go ahead and have a local welder do the repairs. Finally send all the info to Trailer Life's Action Line and let them help convince Lippert to reimburse you for some or all of the repair costs.

Better said than I could have done,

We all want our shoes to last for ever but some last longer than others. A warranty is for a specifc lenght of time. After that they (whom ever they are) are no longer responsible. How much will it cost to make you feel comfortable? What is the warranty on the fix? That may be a way to know what you can expect.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Lippert makes the entire frame, from pin to rear bumper. The structural warranty is for the Cuiser above the frame.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

The Lippert frame is the foundation of the entire structure just like your home. If the frame warranty is only good for2 years how can CR warranty any of the structure that rides on that foundation for 5 years?
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #17
Site Team

I guess I have to respectfully disagree with some of the statements here.
I think if a mfg. is making faulty parts they should be held accountable. Like I stated in previous post, automobile mfg. have safety recalls years after the warranty expires. They don't mfg. all of their parts either. RV mfg. should be held to the same standards.
You get 5--7 tons hurtling down the highway at 60-70 mph and have a 5th wheel come loose it probably would be a nasty scene!
I sure hope myself or any of my kids or grandchildren will never have to be exposed to it!!!!

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 07-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I think if a mfg. is making faulty parts they should be held accountable.

Agreed 100%, but since you may be referring to my post, exactly what is the definition of "faulty parts"?

Parts that fail under normal usage? Do we know that no abnormal conditions occurred?

Parts that fail on multiple units? Have there been other identical failures? When a number of us were having outrigger problems, that was faulty and Lippert stepped up to the plate and fixed them. Same thing when CR, Forest River and some other brands got a batch of bad ALKO axles.

How long should the mfg. be held accountable?2 yrs? 5 yrs? 10 yrs? Just til the end of the warranty? Forever? Who decides? The mfg? The buyer? Is the buyer automatically entiled to a longer warranty if they have a problem than the one they agreed to when they purchased the item??

RV manufacturers do have safety recalls, just like autos. Both unofficial ones as stated above and official ones, I know I received the Dometic frig recall directly from Dometic and from CrossRoads I received one regarding the furnace installation.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I think if a mfg. is making faulty parts they should be held accountable.

Agreed 100%, but since you may be referring to my post, exactly what is the definition of "faulty parts"?

Parts that fail under normal usage? Do we know that no abnormal conditions occurred?

Parts that fail on multiple units? Have there been other identical failures? When a number of us were having outrigger problems, that was faulty and Lippert stepped up to the plate and fixed them. Same thing when CR, Forest River and some other brands got a batch of bad ALKO axles.

How long should the mfg. be held accountable?2 yrs? 5 yrs? 10 yrs? Just til the end of the warranty? Forever? Who decides? The mfg? The buyer? Is the buyer automatically entiled to a longer warranty if they have a problem than the one they agreed to when they purchased the item??

RV manufacturers do have safety recalls, just like autos. Both unofficial ones as stated above and official ones, I know I received the Dometic frig recall directly from Dometic and from CrossRoads I received one regarding the furnace installation.
There was no offense meant or intended in my post. If I offended you, I apologize. I pointed no finger directly nor did I mention any names. A courtesy you didn't extend. I was simply stating my opinion,like you were. Just because my opinion was not the same as your's, doesn't make me wrong or right and your's doesn't make you wrong or right.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Can i trouble you for some pictures of your cracked frame? I would like to see so i can keep an eye on mine.

Thanks

Dan.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote