Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
New Camper

Cruiser Aire fifth wheel feedback...suggestions

Hello from South Carolina... We are considering a Cruiser Aire CAF28SE fifth wheel. I would appreciate feedback from everyone that has one; good and bad...
jts1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Can't help you with the Cruiser Aire, but I will welcome you to the forum.

My best advice is to make sure you pick a dealer with a long reputation for customer service after the sale, then buy a camper with a floor plan you like at a price you can afford. Good luck in your selection! Somebody on here will have some advice on the Cruiser Aire itself.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Best Advice!

No matter what you buy, you will have snags for the first little while. You want a trailer - but you NEED a good dealer that will stand by his product, and with his customers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Can't help you with the Cruiser Aire, but I will welcome you to the forum.

My best advice is to make sure you pick a dealer with a long reputation for customer service after the sale, then buy a camper with a floor plan you like at a price you can afford. Good luck in your selection! Somebody on here will have some advice on the Cruiser Aire itself.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

We have a 2014 cruiser aire. We are really enjoying it. The floor plan is ideal for us and our puppies; as others have said that should be the final selling point. The fit and finish of our unit is quite good for the price point. I have had a number of warranty issues and have dealt directly with Crossroads with success. Sadly, I have not found a good dealer to do service work though. That seems to be the biggest challenge we have faced. Although I would not recommend the dealer I purchased through (can't expound due to forum rules), I would very much recommend Crossroads and the Cruiser Aire.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau Duke To Go View Post
We have a 2014 cruiser aire. We are really enjoying it. The floor plan is ideal for us and our puppies; as others have said that should be the final selling point. The fit and finish of our unit is quite good for the price point. I have had a number of warranty issues and have dealt directly with Crossroads with success. Sadly, I have not found a good dealer to do service work though. That seems to be the biggest challenge we have faced. Although I would not recommend the dealer I purchased through (can't expound due to forum rules), I would very much recommend Crossroads and the Cruiser Aire.
I see you be from Louisiana, join us in October at Poches RV Park in Beau Bridge at I10 and 49..... Not a large group but we sure do have fun and eat real well. There is a notice in this forum about it....
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
New Camper

I just bought the same 5th wheel, it's goes for shipping in 2 weeks. Not sure when I get delivery on it. Good luck with yours
peter nolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter nolin View Post
I just bought the same 5th wheel, it's goes for shipping in 2 weeks. Not sure when I get delivery on it. Good luck with yours
Welcome to the forum. Make sure you do a proper PDI with your dealer. There are done threads here with very good information on how to make it thorough. Take a list with you if you need to make sure everything is covered and write down anything that needs fixing and make sure the dealer documents it.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I agree with Scott about the PDI. I checked out the trailer on line and it looks very nice - a very good floor plan too.

We had issues trying to get all our warranty work done at three different dealerships and never got everything completed. We made an appointment at the factory (Topeka, Indiana) and got everything done in one day. The people there are great. So the moral of the story is, after you have owned the unit for a few months and have a list of issues to be addressed (they never seem to come off the line perfect), then join everyone at the Factory Rally in July in Shipshewana, Indiana, and before you go make an appointment at the factory for service.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

X2 on the floor plan and a reputable dealer. You will have warranty related items - I have on every brand of RV.

I am very biased based upon issues with our unit - stay away from the SCHWINTEK IN-WALL SLIDE system. It will have rails on each end and the slide is driven in and out by a motor on each end. The rails look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rail.JPG (116.6 KB, 12 views)

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY View Post
X2 on the floor plan and a reputable dealer. You will have warranty related items - I have on every brand of RV.

I am very biased based upon issues with our unit - stay away from the SCHWINTEK IN-WALL SLIDE system. It will have rails on each end and the slide is driven in and out by a motor on each end. The rails look like this:
What is the issue with the Schwintek slide system? We have it on our trailer.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We have the same on ours as well, there are a lot of reported issues with it. Knock on wood we have been good so far!

2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve ST33PB
2013 Ford F150 SCREW 4X4 EcoBoost Max Tow 6'5" bed 3.73 Tuxedo Black
Equal-i-zer Hitch
SJEagles609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Ours was related to the bed slide - bed with wardrobe. Crossroads worked with the dealer and Lippert to come up with the right repair solution. The system is used in pull behinds, fifth wheels and motor homes. Our problem was due to the original design of the bed slide. I would like to think that CrossRoads has learned allot in the last 3 years and has improved the use of the system in their product line.

Issues:
1. Cracking of the fiber glass under the slide. Final fix was adding steel plates for the rollers to roll on.
2. Failure of the slide system due to the bed/slide not being properly supported. Initially no rollers/support under the bed - 4 were added to under the bed. Slide rollers modified twice from 5 to 2 than back to 5 rollers.
3. The lack of support lead to the failure of the system to move the slide in or out - ours was stuck out about 4 inches when it finally failed. This lead to water intrusion and required a complete rebuild of the slide.

I was glad we had the 2 year warranty. With all of the issues I believe CrossRoads would have worked with us to correct the issues in the second year of our ownership.

As a note - We have not had any issues with the slide this summer.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

How long had you been using your trailer before the problems started? That stuff is pretty scary! The only problem we had was getting the motors out of sync, but that was not too difficult to rectify.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

My problems started the day it came off the lot. On PDI I noticed that the bed slide was no going in straight - no sealing in the front. I did not take delivery until that was fixed. I noted that the slide went in and out very slow and seemed to drag on the carpet - told that was normal.

The slide got worse and worse as the summer (2012) went. The slide failed in Sept of 2012. Was at the shop from mid Sept. to the first week in Dec. They did not install the bed right and it pulled from the wall. I did not like their fix and re-did the repair in the spring.

In 2013 had more on the bottom of the slider - cracking - in the shop from Oct to Dec for re-work - that is when the went back to 5 rollers and the steel plates. I have detailed pictures of the repairs recommended from the factory.

We have kept the trailer because we really like the lay out, length and weight.

CrossRoads was always quick to come up with a fix and authorize the repairs. I always worked with the factory rep before the RV dealer. The RV dealer was my biggest problem - slow and poor repairs. I had to get the president of Camping World involved the first time in 2012 - that got the ball rolling (it sat on the lot for a month and they did not even look at it).

Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Wow, that's a lot of trouble you had to go through! Glad to hear it finally got resolved. We like the size, weight and floor plan of ours too.

One thing I have noticed with these units is the size of the gray water tanks - much bigger than most manufacturers put in. It makes a big difference when you are somewhere for a week and have to move the rig to dump it.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
Site Team

Bob, I think they made some improvements on the schwintek systems since you bought your Rv. Knock on wood, but so far no problems with mine.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Bob, I think they made some improvements on the schwintek systems since you bought your Rv. Knock on wood, but so far no problems with mine.
I hope you are right Mark. I think so much has to do with original install. I feel like some of what happens in our rigs is the luck of the draw.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Wow, that's a lot of trouble you had to go through! Glad to hear it finally got resolved. We like the size, weight and floor plan of ours too.

One thing I have noticed with these units is the size of the gray water tanks - much bigger than most manufacturers put in. It makes a big difference when you are somewhere for a week and have to move the rig to dump it.

When we camp at State Parks for more than 3 days we bring a 17 gallon tote with us so I can dump the gray tanks - grandchildren and wife prefer to use the shower in the RV. Easy to pull behind the truck and empty at the dump station.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Do you think a 17 gallon tote is big enough, or do you think that you would be better with a larger one??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Looked again and it is a 18 gallon tote.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-4-wheel/37870

The 18 gallon size works for me - fits between the tail gate and hitch of my fifth wheel. It is easy to move (at least 150 lbs when full) and attach the handle to the ball on the hitch of my truck. I end up making a couple of trips to the dump station. The design makes it easy to dump and rinse.