Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cruiser Aire wheel conversion

Just curious if any Cruiser Aire owners have upgraded their wheels to 16". If so, did it require raising the trailer for additional tire clearance?
glock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

No. I found a very knowledgeable guy online, who, coupled with my own online research, convinced me to upgrade to LT tires on larger rims. He sold tires but also ran a heavy stock trailer sales and rental business so had personal experience with what he recommended. I did not feel he tried to oversell me or dump merchandise on me. After a horrific experience with Chinese donuts on the previous rig, I made the dealer buy these before I made the deal on the current rig. The tires were shipped to the dealer on the rims, balanced and aired, ready to install. No adjustments needed. (We did discuss clearances when purchasing.)

A lot of people disagree, but Its going on 4 years with absolutely no complaints and I would do the same thing again. I love them.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Stormseeker:

Thanks for the reply. Would you please give me a little more information. What size tires did you change to? After installing, how much space is there between the tires, and what is the clearance above them to the trailer's wheelwell?

I am a big believer in 16" LT tires and have them on my current 2010 Crossroads Cruiser. To install them I had to raise my trailer 2" but it was worth it.

I'm really considering a 25RL but I need to know how much trouble it's going to be to change to 16" wheels/tires.

thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Mine are Goodyear LT225/75R16 on aluminum rims that match the trailer lug pattern. There is about 4" between the tires and about 4" between the tire top and wheel well. I've never had any problem with rubbing or anything else, for that matter.

Any knowledgeable and honest tire seller can tell you what will fit. You can figure it yourself by seeing how much room you have with your current tire diameter and adding the difference of the new ones.

I could stand to raise my trailer because of the new tall truck but will probably make do with the max hitch adjustment and minimal air in the hitch airbags so I understand your concern.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Your are running the same size tire that I currently have on my Cruiser. I am glad to hear that the Cruiser Aire can accommodate that size tire without having to lift the trailer.

There are a couple of decent 15" tires out there now that were not available back when I bought my 5th wheel, but my preference would be to go with an LT 16".

One big advantage to raising the trailer is that you can usually not only get the trailer level with the truck, but you can add more clearance between the front of the trailer and the truck's bed rails. I currently have 9" clearance.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

glock19, if you don't mind what would be the 2 decent 15" tires out there now?
dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportin View Post

I'm certainly not the expert on this since I've been dealing with 16" LT tires for the past 9 years. However, Maxxis and certain Goodyear tires (made in USA) keep popping up as reliable 15" tires suitable for trailer use.

There is always lots of chatter on this subject over at rv.net where it is constantly argued.

If I end up with a trailer that I cannot adapt to 16" LT tires then I will definitely be doing more research on the subject.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportin View Post

Look at the ST Goodyear Endurance tires. Seem to top of the line ST tires.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks glock19 and mark5w, I'll keep those in mind...
dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote