Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation Cruiser bedroom Slide Water Damage

Hello Everyone,
I thought I would share some pictures of what happens when your bedroom slide is never sealed from the factory. 2013 Crossroads Cruiser 335SS.
Water has wicked into all 3 walls and the bed frame. It will be at least 6K to just make it solid enough to put back i the camper. Not aesthetically perfect.
I know Crossroads will not help with this but I thought a little light into how they build this would be helpful.
This makes me sick. I keep up with maintenance.

56K List price.
Front gel coast is oxidized and needs repainted. Decals are not available after year 2 of a model year.
6K slide repair for shitty build practices.
This now makes me 15K upside down on a camper I believed I got for a good price with a 7% loan.
So to everyone considering buying a camper. Don't.

Do you hear me Crossroads?

P.S.
Camping World tried to charge me $285 for a quote for this repair.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide Damage 1.jpg (71.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Damage 4.jpg (55.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Damage 6.jpg (68.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Damage 7.jpg (68.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Damage 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 75 views)
graberic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes it is common practice for repair shops to charge for estimates. Around here usually 2 hours shop labor but if they do the repair that comes off the price. I went through this last year with the damage from a tree branch on my slide. But with a few phone calls I found some that do not charge.

As to the damage it looks like you had a leak that was missed or not caulked properly. Your camper is 6 years old . They twist and move just pulling them down the road and require a "lot of maintenance" Not only re caulking but going over all the screws. Something we have learned in our 39 years of owning campers of all kinds is to check after every rain for any leaks..

And it does not matter if the camper cost 10000 or 110000 they are built pretty much the same. They are not houses and being mobile can not be built the same. One thing we have noticed is over the years campers have became bigger and are built lighter so they can be pulled by smaller trucks. 20+ years ago a 28 ft camper weighed what a 38 ft one with 3 slides does now and you needed a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. But times change. And it does not make any difference what brand you buy they are all built basically the same..

I do agree with you about not buying a camper if you are not able or willing to maintain it. They are like raising children as they require constant looking after.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

we own the same unit, same year, the water came in on the bottom outside trim. Carpet was wet in the closet floor, was my first clue. The dining room slide leaked for 3 yrs before the floor gave way, there was NO hint of a problem at anytime. I've been able to repair most of the problems, I've had numerous trailers over the years and never had these kinds of problems. Crossroads was NO help about anything, even when half the epdm blew off going south. Said it was lack of maintance, no there wasn't any glue on the roof...I feel your pain
Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #4
New Camper

Update Slide Damage

Updated photos. Filon had to be removed and rotten wood damage worse than expected.

This is going to be over 10K to fix.

!@#$%^&
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3558.jpg (99.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3556.jpg (99.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3555.jpg (81.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3554.jpg (86.2 KB, 47 views)
graberic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Team

That's to bad. I feel for you.
Did you buy the camper new?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I am sooooo sorry for all this for you. It really makes me sick when I hear campers having these problems. Makes me wonder what’s going on in our units that we're unaware of. Good luck and keep us updated.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote