Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
New Camper

Cruiser CF315RL - Reliable enough?

Hello all,

I've had a CTX 26RK fifth-wheel for the last four years or so. While we've been pretty happy with the unit, I'm considering retiring later this year or early next. Once I pull the plug, DW & I plan on spending about six months and 8,000-10,000 miles/year on the road, so we're considering getting something a bit more spacious.

Based on a LOT of internet surfing and a bit of time at a nearby dealer looking at (non-Crossroads) fifth-wheels, we're considering the Cruiser CF315RL. It's a bit longer than I planned, but there are a number of things that we like about the layout.

i've been pretty happy with my 2010, other than some hardware ripping out of the cheapish cabinetry. And I assume that the suspension on the '315 would help extend the life some. However, once retired I need to get 10-15 years and at least 100,000 miles out of this trailer. I'm concerned that the quality appears to have gone down and I gather that the two-year warranty that I got in 2010 is now merely one year, which certainly doesn't give me the same confidence in Crossroads. I'd rather not have to get something more expensive like an Excel (both because the Cruiser layout is appealing and I'd rather hold onto the extra $20k), but I also don't want to be dealing with frequent problems due to poor design and build for the next decade.

One last wrinkle -- it appears that there are no dealers anywhere near me that are handling Cruiser fifth-wheels. My (former) dealer is no longer selling Crossroads, and an internet search has so far turned up nothing reachable in a day trip. So personally inspecting any current Cruiser is out for now.

Any thoughts on the suitability of the current Cruisers from those of you with experience with the current Cruiser line?

Many thanks,
WW
WanderWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My 2 cents worth is to search out and buy a unit that uses a Mor/Ryde suspension. I'm not at all impressed with Lippert suspension components, especially as much as you plan on pulling. While the Cruiser uses Lippert's Trail-Air equa-flex suspension, I still prefer Mor/Ryde. Lippert has a horrible reputation for both quality and standing behind their warranty. This is strictly my personal opinion, and should only be considered as such as you do your own research. Good luck, and happy retirement!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

In my humble opinion, you should buy from a dealer that is close to home - because you will have problems - from minor (definitely) to major (probable). Check out extended warranties - newer trailers appear not to be built as well as the older models. In a rush to get them out the door, manufacturers are not paying attention to detail, or quality standards. In the end, buy what you feel is right for you. Lippert, Dexter, Mor/Ryde etc - pros and cons to all. A good dealer is what makes the difference...

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks Mike & Darrell. The dealer is part of the problem at the moment. There is a local dealer who handles Sunset Trail travel trailers. Would have to find out if they are allowed to sell Cruiser fifth-wheels or not. No idea if the dealer is any good or not though.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Team

This is just "my" opinion.
If you need 100,000 mi., plus 10 to 15 years out of your next rig, I think you better start looking at something a little better then the cruiser.
Maybe a four season rig?
Arctic Fox might be a good place to start.
Unless you want to spend more money, then start looking at Mobile Suites,
LifeStyle, as a couple.

Isn't there a CR dealer south of Green Bay, and another in Wisconsin Rapids?
There is one north of Chippewa Falls.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks Lloyd. I'm starting to lean away from CrossRoads, although have not completely ruled it out yet.

Arctic Fox went to 102" trailers (too wide for me), and their 96" Fox Mountain bedroom layouts are all unappealing, unfortunately. Looking at higher end options like Mobile Suites and Excel.

Sheik's south of Green Bay doesn't carry CR fifth wheels any more. Wisconsin Rapids only has a couple of Aires. There is a 2014 and a couple of 2013s at a dealer in Iowa. Chippewa Falls unfortunately just has a 2012. I'm not making any decisions immediately, so maybe there will be some more inventory in a month or two.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Site Team

Don't know why an extra 6 in. on the width should be a problem?
There are a lot of rigs out there now that are that width.
Good luck in your search.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Site Team

We looked at the arctic fox last winter. Very nice solid trailer. We couldn't find a unit that fit our requirements or I think we would have owned one.
The one's we did really like were more trailer than we had truck for. Seeing as we had just bought our truck I wasn't about to trade again.
Secondly, there wasn't anything under 12 ft. in height. Which was another requirement for it to fit in our building.
A lot of these units are still on the road after many many years of use.
I was pretty impressed with what I read from present owners.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

WanderWest, I wouldn't worry about the extra 3 inches of width on either side. Not going to make it more difficult when towing.

Here's another option for extended stay units that are interesting.

http://www.granddesignrv.com/solitude-overview.php

369RL is a nice floor plan in the Solitude assuming you have the truck to pull it.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

hi there , HAPPY Retirement ! We purchased a 2011 Cruiser 31.5 RE new two years ago and still love the floor plan. We camp about 80 nights a year in the 5th wheel and so far havent had any big issues. Initially we had an electrical short problem with one one the circuits but the dealer fixed that. THe furnace ducting runs from front to back on the 2011's using one common distribution duct. You may want to modify that so you get better air flow, we did and it is fine now. All and all we are happy with the unit. Leaving to drive from Vancouver Island BC to Newfoundland tommorrow and then back across the USA coming home. THat will no doubt be the big test ( 90 days on the road) As an owner of the same model your looking at I can say that I have confidence that we wont have any major issues on our trip. Hope this helps . You mentioned hieght, I think my 31.5 RE is 12 ft 6"

Cheers
BobbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:37 AM   #11
New Camper

How was your trip? How did the trailer hold up looking at buying a 2011 model.
wrongwayrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

2011 Crossroads Cruiser

We have had good luck with our 2011 cruiser 315rls fifth wheel. Took it across Canada and back across the US, 19,500 Km with no issues. The only thing we had to do is replace the inverter in NFLD. Pulled well behind the 2012 Chev 3500
BobbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
New Camper

We have a 2015 336re and have been from wa to az and ne and all over in between and have had no problems except the light strip on the awning. Our local dealer has had cr products off and on over the years but he has been great about greasing the hubs and stuff when needed whether he had cr products or not. Good luck with your decision.

Former satisfied owner of a 2005 CF28RL, with a new 2015 CF326RE. Duramax/Allison, pull rite super glide. Still enjoying the open road.
idahoboy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

We purchased a 2015 Crossroads Cruiser. First year had a tire snap all 6 lugs off and the tire flew through the side. Had to fight with them to cover the repair. 3 months after the end of the 1 year warrantee, seam separated when lifted on the 5th wheel hitch on the underbelly over the pickup bed. Dealer identified that they failed to install wood in the base of the trailers rails which attach the body to the chassis. Caused bolts to bend or snap. 4.5K repair that Crossroads didn't help with at all. What do you think my suggestion will be? lol. Look elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

DW and I bought a 2016 CR 315RL new. Haven't towed it much, however we have spent ever weekend and about a month each summer in it for 2 years. Aside from minor annoyances have not had any issues. The furniture is terrible. the floorplan is very nice. I thought our local dealer was a problem, but I have learned that a lot of the dealer problems are related to fighting warranty issues. I agreed to pay for the cost of repair and fight the warranty after if it was going to be something that held my camper up in the shop. There are good and bad with every model. As far as I know there are no glaring problems with this model and we have been satisfied with the unit.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

The dealer we bough our from stopped selling Cruiser. I asked why the last time I was in there. Was told because of the poor Manufacture support. Wish they told me that 3 years ago. LOL.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

We bought our 2015 new as part of downsizing and it is a relatively light and low end unit, especially compared to our previous units of other brands. I spent a couple of hours inspecting at pickup and held their feet to the fire before handing over the money and have subsequently had no problems but a heater board failure and loss of power to the slide outlets recently, neither of which I consider manufacturing problems since they worked for 3 or 4 thousand miles a year for 3 years. I've actually had less trouble with this one than the more expensive ones. I think its the luck of the draw (and proper care) with all of them. I can't say how the running gear will hold up.

In short,

An obsessive walk through and getting things right up front is your main defense. I think researching the unit is at least as important as researching the brand.

Lucking out with getting a "good" one is #2, maybe even #1. If you get a basically sound unit, the little things, if any, can be fixed. My experience is that a "good" unit has little to do with brand or price point, although there are material quality differences, if not workmanship differences.

A good dealer is your third defense.

Stuff is going to happen. Expect it. The newer ones have more stuff to go wrong. (slides, electronics, power awnings, etc.) Remember when you had to go outside and light the pilot with a match?

So make the best informed decision you can but don't obsess over it. Save that for the walk through inspection.

Good luck and pleasant travels in your retirement.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #18
Site Team

Fill in the brand name,-__________________. You will have the same upkeep, often the same problems and question throughout the whole list of manufactureres. Remember, most manufactures use the same brand frames, axles, furniture, stoves, a/c, lighting, slide mechanisms and everything else.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Often times, what sets the brands apart is the after sales experience. I’m not referring to the dealerships (mostly bad), but the manufacturer. The ones that answer the phones and actually try to solve your issue, either under warranty or out of warranty, are great to have. You have to do your homework to find them. There’s not many out there. Most of the time, if they even answer the phone, they will direct you to the dealership where you end up waiting two months to get your unit repaired. I have found that Grand Design really takes care of their customers. I’ve seen it personally on two occasions, and read about it weekly if not daily on the owners forum.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Steve 7
If I am correct Grand Design is now owned by Winnebago...Winnebago also makes almost all of the parts that they use on their campers, which gives them great control of the quality of their product...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote