Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I was under my 2009 31MK today trying to reattach the square piece of coroplast that covers the slide drive motor area. I loosened the strip that holds the underbelly fabric to have a better look at what was backing the coroplast metal mounting strip and found it was a loose piece of aluminum channel just laying inside thebubble wrap insulation. I stuck my hand in further and reached upward hoping to reach some fiberglass battinginsulation as well but didn't find any in that area. Is this normal? Is the aluminum channel supposed to be tied to anything?
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You should have one access area for each slide motor. Mine are not cut through the membrane but are framed if cutting is ever neccessary. Two are framed to mount the coroplast access strips to and one is like you described "loose channel". I figured if I ever had to actually cut the membrane, I would fix a better mount. The bubble wrap insulation is all I have on my Cruiser. Fiberglass insulation may be on other models but not mine. Not sure ifI would want it because if it got wet, it is ruined.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yes I do have two access areas and the membrane is not cut. Makes sense about the insulation, I for some reason thought there would be more than just a foil backed bubble wrap. Has anyone investigated other floor insulation options?

Bill K.Edited by: billyrabbit
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The batten insulation is wrapped around the main floor structure and covered by the woven plastic tarp, you'd have to reach way up past the unerbelly and push up against the floor - you will feel the insulation through the plastic protector.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mike is right, the floor insulation is directly under the plywood. There are aluminum floor joist running fore and aft on 16 inch centers with the insulation between them, then black plastic fabric covering the entire structure which sits on top of the I-beams. What you observed is the bubble insulation within the underbelly and between the I-beams.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote