Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

On my old keystone trailer, my ins. agent had progressive on it. Now that it's gone and i havea 335ss on order (hopefully to be delivered soon). I requested a quote on it and found out the agent was going to use Blue Sky RV motor club ins. Has anyone ever heard of this company? I think the quote was thru Companion ins and casualty co.

$800 a year , $250 ded.

I just wanted a "heads up" quote when we went to pick it up at the dealer.

Not sure if Progressive had went up or not.
vickark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I have used Progressive since we bought the rig. It seems like the premium has went up every year. I recently sent them a check for this year. -- $369.00

If you want to continue with Progressive and agent doesn't handle it any more, you can to their web site and buy it that way, right online. At least get a quote and compare.
Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I may just do that. I'm curious to see what their rates are now. I also have my boat ins. with progressive.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
fjo
Weekend Camper

vickark - I have my insurance through GMAC (Good Sam) the coverage is much better than going through State Farm. My deductible is $1000 and my premium is $330 per year.

Hope you get your camper soon.
fjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Just got insurance through State Farm for a new CF285RL Patriot I bought. $500 deductible for $386 per year.

Edited by: hhh
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Looks like i need to do a lot more checking around especially on prices. Sometimes, i think when i tell the ins. co. i live in or near Houston, the price doubles.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Actually, where you live can affect the price. Rates vary by zip code and by state.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Progressive is great on recreational vehicles. Full coverage @ replacement cost and I walked out the door for about $500 coverage per year on my new motorhome.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Your low deductable might be part of it but $800. isway overdouble what we pay on our 2011 cf32ck.With 500 ded.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Try Progressive, Foremost and Good Sam.

Most of my clients do better adding it to their personal auto policy.Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I guess living in or near Houston makes the ins. higher.

blue sky= $250 ded-$812, $500 ded-$735

foremost= $250 ded- $734, $500 ded-$689Good Sam $1000 ded- $667 trailer only,( only if they could insure tow vehicle also)

The agent that quoted me the foremost ins. said that progressive was out of sight. so i didn't even ask-LOL

So i guess i'll just bite the bullet and go with foremost , i really don't want to go without especially on a new trailer.Edited by: vickark
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I take it you're with an auto insurer that doesn't allow trailers & 5ers to be added to the policy? This is how most of my clients choose to insure their units here in Michigan.

Don't know what the cost of living is, but maybe I need to consider a move to Houston to sell insurance

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

You should call a Nationwide agent (if you have them in your area and have them get you a quote through Allied Insurence which is a division of Nationwide. The advantage of a policy from Allied, is that you can get coverage forreplacement cost/full purchase price coverage. You may have to join a group like Good Sam, or Camping World's President Club to get some of the full benefits.

http://www.alliedinsurance.com/allied/web/content/home.jsp

Most policies, including the standard Nationwide policy, written through the home company, have depreciation built into the policy. So, if you have a loan out on it, and don't have "gap" coverage, in the event of a loss, what you recieve could be far less than what you actually owe. This is applicable even to auto policies. If you have a high priced tow vehicle (read that a new diesel which goes for 50 bills plus) as soon as you hit the road, the truck is worth thousands less. There is dealer profit built into every price and ins policies doesn't cover that.

I found out about this and have our 2010 Cruiser covered through Allied. Our policy also covers the awning, a stated value of contents, like the generator(s) clothes,pots and pans, etc. If your trailer burns to the ground,if you don't have a policy where the contents and such are stated as being covered, you most likely would have to turnthe claim in against your home policy.Wehadour old unit covered through Nationwide itself and when I foundout aboutthis I wasn't too thrilled.

We have had to have contact with the folks at Allied directly and I found them to be polite, courteous and helpful.

As an additional benefit, if you have Nationwide agents licensed in your state, you should be able to join the Farm Bureau (as an associate member, or regular member if you have something to qualify) and recieve a discount on your home and auto insurance.

Nope, I am not a Nationwide or Allied agent, nor do I have insurance licenses. I am not advising you directly on insurance, I am only relating to you my experience and that as a recomendation, that due to good service and benefits from the policy we were given, that I think, that as one RV owner to another, you should check into it. (I had to add the disclaimer, as it is against the law to give direct insurance advise without being licensed, so to cover my a**, I said it, even though it seems ridiculous). Nor am I at any way, representing, associated with, compensated by Nationwide or any of its affiliates. My wife and I are policy holders and members of the Ohio Farm Bureau.

I used to be licensed, prior to going to work at the bank I used to work at, but they considered it a conflict of interest even though I was in IT. I used to be a part time agent. I placed business through Grange, Progressive and other companies that don't use captive agencies. (Captive means you only represent them, like State Farm, Nationwide, John Hancock, etc).Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #14
Site Team

My Progressive policy also has full replacement cost/ full purchase price coverage/plus diminishing deduct cost for no claims.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

A lot of companies offer replacement coverage.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
New Camper

We may be doing something wrong but our premium is $97.00 a year with $1000 deductible,this is full actual cost replacementup to $40,000.It is with AARP The Hartford. We have a CF325Ck Cruiser.
Jim & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I did find out thatmy location is what kills the ins . quotes for me. I finally got an agent that quoted progressive $1000 ded. for $640 a year. Jim and Kathy you are lucky.

I have 3 vehicles thru geico and they were high on the trrailer quote.

I started to add up what i am paying on ins for 3 vehicles, 1 boat,1 goldwing and a trailer- but my blood pressure wouldn't allow it- LOL

Take care and happy camping
Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
New Camper

We have RV Insurancewith AARP-The Hartford and I think they gave us a better deal than most of the others doing the rounds. It could also be because they do our regular auto and home insurance as well.

Edited by: theron.pierson
theron.pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

We also have ours through AARP Hartford with declared value of $44,000. I think ours is around $160.00 for trailer, but we also have house, car and truck with them.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote