Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I received a nice card from my dealer about bringing my RV in to check the caulking and in general go over it. While looking over it I found the caulking cracked around the main and bedroom slide and decided to take it in. No problem 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, right.

Wrong, 90 days on the caulking and I was on day 98 when I took it in. Got a bill for caulking. I could have taken it in earlier but wasn't in a hurry, got 2 years and I've forgot what rain looks like. Un-huh

Then was told "Oh, did we forget to tell you that's only 90 days on the caulking"???

Once I settle down a bit I'll ask "Just what else is not covered under the 2 year "bumper to bumper warranty"?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

YeahI think that whole "yearly inspection" to keep your warranty is a nice racket for the dealers. It all depends on your dealer as to how much you get charged for that service and what they really do. Sorry but if Crossroads is going to require you have this service done each year during your warranty period they should pickup the tab for the service. You might also want to check your fridge warranty. I think you have to have it inspected once a year to keep the warranty on it. At least you did when we bought our PP.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Caulking is considered maintenance. Just like brakes, wheel bearing lube, tires, winterizing, keeping tanks clean, etc.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Interesting on the refrige models. Our 07 30sk had a Dometic unit that required an annual inspection to maintain the three year warranty. Our 10 30skp has a Norcold unit that only has a one year warranty and required no inspection. Think we ended up with a Norcold because that was the time period that Dometic had the fire in their refrige plant.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh
Caulking is considered maintenance. Just like brakes, wheel bearing lube, tires, winterizing, keeping tanks clean, etc.

I agree with this statement 'but caulk' should not be aged out at 90 days!!! Are you positive it wasn't improperly done in the first place. My caulk looks like new except where it wasn't done correctly "THE FIRST TIME".. I guess I wouldn't let that lie Hank buts that is me!

Theywere once known to have the best bang for the buck & very good quality units. After all my years of faithfulness to them & repurchasing I am almost to a point of believing I made a mistake doing that. The one & only thing that has kept my head above water so to speak is the wonderful warrantee & service Dept , they restore my faith in the unit after much redoing and rebuilding of what the production line failed to do or do right.

myunit is at Crossroads now for some minor items plus the frame reno. I am also getting the annual done at the same time. Back to the caulk issue I am in the process of Eternabonding mine as the caulk is fresh and in good shape. I just clean the surface very good& go over all my posible intrusion areas on the roof area and good to go.I did our PP several years ago never had a sign of a leak after doing it,before a little bit. Down with never ending caulking! JMHO jb
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

My caulking was cracked at the slide out seals too. I re-did some this week, going to try and do a little more before I take it to storage this weekend -- if it stops raining. Also at the seam at the bottom of the front cap. I agree that its just maintenance...
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
hhh
Seasonal Camper

While I agree the caulk should last more then 3 months, did you contact Crossroads about it lasting only 90 days? My understanding is allmaintenanceitems have the 90 days warranty but that doesn't mean that Crossroads wouldn't give some consideration. Did you tell the dealer not to do any repairs that would incur a cost without contacting you first? Doesn't matter if it's the rig, my vehicles or any repair, I always tell a repair shop if the cost is more then their estimate they have to get permission before doing the repair. I don't like surprises.

Caulk really needs to be inspected closely every 6 months. I would bet you see more cracking in other spots in another 90 days.... which would those areas 6 months out from when you bought it.Caulkingis anever-endingbattle

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

This warranty business is exactly like insurance, you never know what you have until it comes time to use it. Too many provisos, ifs ands or buts.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

bought a 2007 30sk 7 months ago with extended warranty, furnace failed they denied the claim as we didnt have the yearly service records for annual inspections we are in dispute with them now as we didnt know who was the previous owner, the dealer did a complete inspection, wheel bearing and brakes, not good enough so it shows we all have problems with any kind of warranty work factory or extended. keep on rving and remember life is to short to worry about gas mileage

Forks Wa.

1997 Chev 3500

2007 Cruiser 30SK

2 old well traveled cats

1982 Chev Elcamino

1975 Harley Davidson XLH
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I wouldn't expect the caulk to be covered as it's a maintenance item. Much like I wouldn't expect the tires, brakes, bearings to be covered either. Given the amount of flex that is present anytime the unit rolls the road, it unreasonable to expect it.

I didn't expect my wiper blades to be covered on my cars and they weren't.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote