Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Site Team

Just got back from show put on by my dealer. He had over 100 units on the lot, but not one new Cruiser. Had 4 older Cruisers, including 2 Sports.
I asked where the new cruisers were and was told there wasn't any.
Then the kick---they might not continue with Cruiser. BUUUUMER.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Will he still service your unit?

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes, the service won't be any problem, not even any warranty work. So that is great. It's just depressing to think they might be letting the CR line go. The lot was full of Keystone and other brands and models.
I asked the salesman--WHY-- he said CR wasn't willing to work with them like the other Mfg.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I think that means they are not pushing the Cruiser line.. Look at all the new floor plans CrossRoads has for the Cruiser this year

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Everyone that owns a business needs to make choices... some are a long look some are a short look. You decide. Keystone is almost out of business.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnan23
Everyone that owns a business needs to make choices... some are a long look some are a short look. You decide. Keystone is almost out of business.
Chris:
Where did you come up with that juicy little tidbit?
I guess I'm way behind. Hadn't heard about them.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Heard it when we went to a show in Cincinnati a while back.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Just an FYI, Keystone is owned by Thor Industries, Inc., the parent company of CrossRoads. Hopefully they are on solid ground with allcompanies in the organization.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Just remember all dealers are trying to sell what is in stock. All Mfg will offer deals to dealers to stock more of their units. Also floor plans come in to play now days. they are not as generous as they were just last year

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thor is basically a holding company. Their history is well known. They scarf up smaller companies thatare profitable and keep them as long as the companies are funneling cash in the holding company.

It was about a year after Thor gobbled up Airstream that their cost cutting moves began to show. Bottom line, Thor ruined the Airstream reputation of being the Cadillac of the line.

I know, first hand. I almost bought one of their top of the line TT, until a friend that was (is) an Airstream person, got me to hold off and investigate the mfg date and frame paint.

There are no less thanfifteen to twenty RV dealers in the DFW area that have gone the way of Nimrod. If Keystone is in trouble, you can bet Thor will dump it like a rotten fish. If that happens to Keystone, can the Cruiser line be far behind.

Yep, it's a business decision all right, along with the banks refusing to float loans.

Don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but don't think we've seen the bottom yet. Matter of fact, we're likely to see a repeat of early 70's when about 95% of the RV dealers and Mfger's went belly up and closed their doors for good.

There are some darn good deals out there, if you have the cash and willing to take a chance on the dealer being here today and gone tomorrow. If I bought an RV today, I would make the dealer furnish me with a title at the same time I gave him a cashiers check.

If he as much as blinked an eye, I'd walk in a heart beat.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle
Thor is basically a holding company. Their history is well known. They scarf up smaller companies thatare profitable and keep them as long as the companies are funneling cash in the holding company.

It was about a year after Thor gobbled up Airstream that their cost cutting moves began to show. Bottom line, Thor ruined the Airstream reputation of being the Cadillac of the line.

I know, first hand. I almost bought one of their top of the line TT, until a friend that was (is) an Airstream person, got me to hold off and investigate the mfg date and frame paint.

There are no less thanfifteen to twenty RV dealers in the DFW area that have gone the way of Nimrod. If Keystone is in trouble, you can bet Thor will dump it like a rotten fish. If that happens to Keystone, can the Cruiser line be far behind.

Yep, it's a business decision all right, along with the banks refusing to float loans.

Don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but don't think we've seen the bottom yet. Matter of fact, we're likely to see a repeat of early 70's when about 95% of the RV dealers and Mfger's went belly up and closed their doors for good.

There are some darn good deals out there, if you have the cash and willing to take a chance on the dealer being here today and gone tomorrow. If I bought an RV today, I would make the dealer furnish me with a title at the same time I gave him a cashiers check.

If he as much as blinked an eye, I'd walk in a heart beat.

Keystone, CrossRoads, Thor, and all of their brands are fine. Thor is a fiscally conservative firm with strong assets. They have ZERO debt outside of 30-day vendor terms. Due to strong revenue and operating with only variable expenses, it seems highly unlikely that Thor would dump any of its brands. I'm not sure who you heard the "demise of Keystone" rumor from, but they're blatantly lying. Many brands have made appropriate cuts in staff, product offerings, and stocking levels, but there is no chance of seeing any Thor brands be removed from the marketplace.

We're currently seeing drastic improvements in consumer spending with RVs. The numbers are still considerably behind stats from a year or 2 years ago, but all-in-all it seems as though we may be on our way towards an inprovement in the marketplace. Not all manufacturers or dealers are starving for anything. CrossRoads is operating at near-typical production schedules. We, as a dealership, are hiring staff to merely keep up with demand and have been paying 12+ hours of overtime each week since early March.

For the comment regarding dealers and walking with titles; know this - banks are so concerned about their investments that essentially no dealer holds titles any longer. The bank holds the title and releases it for lien perfection and registration. If a dealer is currently operating at full force right now, its because a bank is pouring money into him for their own survival. We can't keep our bankers to leave us alone. They are willing to help in anyway they can to seek profitable returns and rightfully so. Same for Thor and their companies. New R&D is commencing, great financing programs are being announced, they're marketing more heavily, and we're all looking towards a brisk and profitable year.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Apparently Camping World RV Sales are now carrying Crossroads. I drove past the Ft Myers lot this weekend and there were two Cruisers and a gaggle of Zingers and Sunset Trails. A quick search on their website shows new CR campers nationwide.

CR dealership finder does notshow CW for my area yet.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Well, not too sure of that because they are still making them. Weordered one in earlyApril and it will be off the assembly line + - 6 May.

Carman, Manitoba, Canada

2010 Cruiser CF30SK

2000 Ford F250 Triton V10

37 Yrs together, travelling with three cats
OlderRedboine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDLuke
I drove past the Ft Myers lot this weekend

I wish I could say that.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Lonnie,

Careful what you wish for. Schools down here don't pay well,the summers are brutal and I'm nearly 6 hours from the GA border pulling the 5er. But homes are going cheap and rates are LOW. Come on down and grab a slice of paradise!
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote