Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I had an interesting situation happen on our maiden voyage last weekend and I thought that I would share it with you. Since it was snowing out (no, really!), my wife and I split up the outside duties and I had her install the eletrical cord to the camper and campground panel. We had a bunch of camping friends in the unit checking out the new camper. Wanting a campfire (and not wanting to go outside), I tried to turn on the fireplace and.....nothing. I checked the circuit breaker and tried to plug other items into the fireplace outlet. I eventually pulled out the slack in the cord and plugged into one of the other outlets near the fireplace.....success! So I figured I had a bad plug or a wire that pulled out on our drive the campground.

Around 2:00 that night, we noticed that the LP/CO alarm started to chirp. Shortly thereafter, the camper started to get colder, the fridge went dark, the 12V lights all went dark, the radio went dark........you get the picture. Dead battery! Since we still had 120V power, I had the wife sleep on the pullout in front of the fireplace and I figured I'd try to troubleshoot the electrical system in the morning.

While laying there in bed and pondering another trip to the dealer, I recalled a conversation an electrician friend had with the group that night regarding 50A service cords - there are two hot wires! It was then that it all made sense. I didn't have power to half of the camper including the inverter, fridge, and fireplace. Upon inspection the next morning (hey, I was warm under the covers anyway), sure enough - the plug into the camper was a little loose. Upon reinstallation, all the systems started to work again and I learned a valuable lesson!

I can laugh about it now but boy was I pulling my hair out at 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning....

Smith campers6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Todd,
Thanks, interesting info to know. I am going to get a surge protector for safety. Oh, on another not I talked to the Tiedt's, they live on Deming...he has a CF335SS I think...they are signed up for the rally too...so Beaver Dam will be well represented They are in the site I was in last year, 39.

I will be taking our unit out to Derge on Thursday, only 30 amp service but that's all we'll need. May 1st we move it to Playful Goose in Horicon for 6 nights until we leave for our trip. Derge will giveus a chance to check out the water pump and other boondocking features. Any problems we can then head to the dealer if need be. Hoping there won't be any.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

A surge protector is a good idea, especially with 50 amp service. Bad CG wiring can get 240V on a 120V leg and ruin much of the equipment in the rig. Have had it happen to a few friends. Yet, I still haven't invested in one yet.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Hi Jim. Good plan to check everything out before your big trip. Are you planning hard wired or portable protector. Do you havemultiplebatteries? Good luck on the shakedown trip.
Al
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

One thing I discovered when we first got our 2010 unit was that there were two circuits for the 120v outlets, front and rear. Unfortunately crossroads put them both on circuit breakers on the same 50 amp side of the main. Since there was an empty breaker on the other 50 amp side, I moved one of the outlet feeds to the other leg. This gives a more balance load and lets you take better advantage of the available power. I would urge everyone with 50 amp service to check for this.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Al,
I am planning on the portable model, I'm not electrically inclined. I talked to my dealer and he liked my idea. I plan on buying another 30' cord...I will put the surge protector in the storage area, run the cord from the pedestal into the storage area, plug it into the SP, then back out to the connection on the trailer. I know it will be a little more expensive this way but as I said, I'm not electrically adept...and it also will keep the SP out of the weather.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Jim check out the cost of that xtra cord not exactly cheap. Secondly you add quite a bit of length and would that mean you plan to leave that storage area open? I think you should investigate the cost of a hardwiredinstallation. On sale at CWhttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rd/69523#qanda free shipping. They also install but you may do better to use your own electrician. Worth investigating.
Al
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I just finished installing a 30Amp Progressive Industries hardwire in mine yesterday. Plugged it in, but no power to trailer.Checked plug, outlet, etc. Went back in to check my wiring, there was a code showing! Funny thing it worked fine before.
After looking up the code (open ground), I discovered a bad extension cord, one I had always used. I am very impressed, and glad I finally bit the bullet and purchased one.
Got it online from lawrencerv.com. It was about half the price from one in Canada! Fast shipping too.
My first mod of the season, not real hard to do, but you do need to understand electricity.Edited by: hippy45
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I just started looking at the surge protectors and no matter what they are pricey. I'm looking at installing a residential whole house surge protector in my panel. GE makes one for around $100 that snaps into two breaker spaces. But I also found one by Siemens that has two breakers built into it. I'm waiting for my sales rep from my supply house to get back to me when I get more info I'll let you know. Just another option to think about.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote