Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
New Camper

Question First trip in our 2005 Crusier TT

We just bought a 2005 Cruiser Travel Trailer locally from the owner. We had it checked out and everything checked fine except the tank level indicator for the black water tank always read 3/4 and we knew we would have to get that fixed. We took it out for the first time this weekend. It was only our family of 3. All went well and everything worked properly and we were delighted. Until the end of the day when I went to wash some dishes at the galley sink. About halfway through washing the sink began to fill up. Our daughter noticed that the bathroom sink was about to overfill since the sink water was going there. We turned off all water and began bailing. Luckily there was no overflow onto the floors. I had scraped any food on the plates into the trash can so I didn't think there was any clog. We discovered that the galley grey water tank was full. (Apparently we can't trust any of the tank level indicators) So the next morning (day 2) we hooked up and pulled it up to the campground dump station and emptied all tanks. We went back to our camp site and after a while I went to finish the last little bit of dishes that I had not done the night before. The sink started to backup up again within less than ten minutes. the bathroom sink got about 2-3 inches of water in it. All sinks had been empty after the dump so I am wondering why this happened. We are brand new to RVing and can't imagine what we did wrong. Anyone who can give us a hint would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Did you empty both grey tanks? You mentioned galley grey, so I assume you have 2 grey tanks, each would have its own valve and handle to pull.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
New Camper

Yes, we emptied all tanks because at that point we didn't trust the level indicators anymore. The tanks being empty is why we are so confused about how it could back up a second time again so soon after emptying. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Jason is probably correct. The galley grey could have had an air pocket in the tank and the drive to the dump station sloshed the water around and allowed the kitchen and bath sinks to drain a bit. If you only had one grey tank, then the first thing to fill up would have been the tub/shower not the sinks. You must have two grey (really common) tanks and you only dumped the one.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
New Camper

Hubby swears he emptied both grey tanks. In fact emptied all tanks because he didn't trust the inditator lights. Any other ideas?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Ok then, well....only other thing i can think of is a clog in the drain somewhere after the kitchen and lav sink drain pipes join up but before the tank. You can rent a small sewer snake (or buy one - not expensive) and try that.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
New Camper

So hubby went by Ketelsen's - our local dealer in Cedar Rapids and they say there is something called a 'burp valve'. ($15 part) When this valve fails it won't allow air to pass it and so backups like we are experiencing result. There is a way to test the theory. Fill both sinks 1/2 way. Under one or the other sink is this valve with some sort of rubber boot at either end. Putting a bowl and or some towels under that sink remove the boot. If the sinks both drain then that valve has failed and it's a simple fix. So he's ordering the part today, and will do the test and hopefully the fix this weekend. I' sorry I can't give a better description of the problem, he explained it in detail but somewhere in there my eyes glazed over. I'll let you know after the weekend if this is the resolution we are looking for. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
New Camper

Oh, and he's going to bring along a snake too, Stan, just in case. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

HMMM, that is also called (more correctly) a Studor vent. It has a spring and rubber flapper that seals sewer gas/smells in the pipe and when you drain your sinks it allows air to flow into the drain so you don't create a vacuum. Basically it is a vent that would normally go through the roof but doesn't. If that were the issue, your sinks would drain, but gurgle a lot but they would drain. Lot of times those thing can be unscrewed and you can buy them at Home depot for 3-4bucks.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
New Camper

OK, Stan you sound like you know exactly what I'm talking about. But my impression from what you say is that you don't think this is the problem because the sinks didn't drain by the next morning. Would it make a difference if they had drained by the time we get there next Friday? If this isn't the problem any suggestions? Our RV is over an hour drive from home this week and we'd like to make sure we take with us anything that could possibly help. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Just a quick note on tank level indicators. We have never found them to be any good on any trailer we have owned. We never look at them. We know from experience how long we can go before emptying the tanks and go with that. The sensors get gummed up and trying to keep them clean us not worth our efforts.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Sitting overnight might drain the sinks but I don't think it's the vent. If the vent were clogged or the Studor vent was defective, as long as the drain is clear the sinks will drain just gurgle as they gasp for air. I believe you have 1 of 2 issues. The grey tank is full (i know, I know - Jim says they are drained) or two you have a clog in the drain after the two sinks Wye together. Very possible if there was a partial clog before and the new to you rig sat for a long time while it was for sale. The clog will dry out and be stubborn to clear. A snake will clear it but you might call a plumber and he will have the right size snake and know how to use it. It might cost you a 100.00 ( I know how much plumbers charge - I am one!) but snakes can be tricky if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Tank sensors are notorious for not working. You probably have a second grey tank. You could also have a plug. My shower basin will start to fill as it is at the lowest point. Backing up into another sink is what makes me think you have another grey tank.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley sink backup