Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
New Camper

OUR FRESH WATER TANK DOES NOT HAVE A DRAIN COCK SHOWING UNDER TRAILER ! ONLY THING IS A SCREW OFF CAP AND TANK DOES NOT COMPLETELY EMPTY SHOWING 1/3 REMAINING IN TANK . tHINKING THERE WAS SOMETHING BLOCKING THE FLOW I PUSHED AIR INTO THE OPENING AND EACH TIME ABOUT A CUP WILL COME OUT . WITHOUT CUTTING MATERIAL DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE . WE ARE JUST GETTING STARTED AND APPRECIATE ANY HELP . ITS A CT31RL
Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Artie:
If your tank is the same as mine, the cap you are talking about is the drain. It doesn't come out of the bottom. Comes out the side a ways up from the bottom. POOR design!!!!!!
You can never get your tank empty.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I replaced my cap with a ball valve, it's easier to open and close. As far as getting the tank empty I leave the valve openafter I drain it.WhileI pull it down the road most of the water finds it's way to the drain. For sanitary reasons I always put a little bleach in the fresh water tank to kill any critters that my try and grow in the left over water.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Most tanks don't fully drain on any RV I have had. This isn't a real concern as that amount of water freezing doesn't cause any issues and when you want to use the fresh water tank your suppose to sanitize it for every use if you plan on drinking it.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I generally raise the front end of the trailer pretty high and this drains the vast majority of water from my tank. My tank is locatedjust forward of the rear bumper so this makes it work well.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

The tank on my 2010 26RK Cruiser is very shallow with a largesurface area (about 4ft x 6ft) to get the capacity. As such if the trailer is not level you can not get all of the water out. My drain and pick-up are on the left side to the rear. To drain the tank I raise the front and the right side of trailer. When I level it I have it slightly high in front and slightly high on the right side.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Here's a pic of the water tank setting on end. Hole on left is for the pump pickup, the other one has the drain tube still attached.
That is the drain. There is NO WAY to completely get this tank empty.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Here's a pic of the water tank setting on end. Hole on left is for the pump pickup, the other one has the drain tube still attached.

Thank You for the picture. As can be confirmed it is impossible to completely empty the tank. A winter storage problem I can see. Although the water left will not damage the tank if it freezes it can rupture the drain line. This can happen if it is closed and some water splashes into the drain line during movement to the final storage site for the winter. With myluck it will rupture at the tank. Also a good reason to sterilize the tank will spring comes. There has been a little water in the tank all winter.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

In order to winterize our 2010 CF30SK I had to raise the front nearly as far as it would go and the water eventually all flowed out.

Before I raised it up all the way, I raised it a bit at a time and got some morewater out, but then the flow stopped. I finally had to raise the legs vitually all the way before I got the tank emptied and it showed empty on the indicator. I understand from others that the tank cannot be completely emptied, but that was the best I could come up with.

Probably designed by the same person who designed the access to the water heater compartment.

Jim

Carman, Manitoba, Canada

2010 Cruiser CF30SK

2000 Ford F250 Triton V10

37 Yrs together, travelling with three cats
OlderRedboine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Hey Jim, don't you just love "the easy" access to the water heater compartment. First thing I changed.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
New Camper

Dale , How did you fix heater access problem, thanks Jeff, 2010 30sk cruiser

J & A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I removed the floor panel in the cabinet so I could remove the wall panel to access the water heater. I then cut a 6x9 hole in the wall panel that would give access to the bypass valves. I put some paneling edge trim around the piece I cut out (to make it cover the hole) then attached with two small brass hinges back on the wall panel. Attached a small brass latch hook to keep it closed. Re-installed both panels. Now I just open the little door in the wall panel to access the heater bypass valve.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Are we looking at the "side" of the tank here? I'm assuming it is upside down, i.e. the fitting with the pipe on it would normally be going "down" toward the ground from the tank. Right?
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

i think your right the picture looks upside down. my drain is at the bottom of my tank so i dont have this problem but for those of you that have this tank can you shim the bottom of your tank on the opposite side of the drain? so that the water will run towards the drain. also i'm not sure where i saw it but i'm pretty sure you can buy fittings that can be installed into a tank without having access to the inside of the tank, kinda a glue in place fitting. so whynot install a new fitting into the bottom of the tank?

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007

Quote:

Are we looking at the "side" of the tank here? I'm assuming it is upside down, i.e. the fitting with the pipe on it would normally be going "down" toward the ground from the tank. Right?
Right.
The tank is out of 5er and setting on end on the floor. If you were to tip it forward (as it appears in the pic) it would then be resting in the same position that is in when in the 5er. that's the drain pipe on the right hand side of the picture. That end of the tank lies on the road side of 5er. If you look close you can see the bib for the vent hose and the bib for the filler tube on the bottom of the picture.
I know some times when you look at a picture somebody else took, it can be hard to make sense out of it.

« New Unit | Axles »