Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
New Camper

Issue: the furnace in my 2009 sk30 will run fine for 5 hrs or so, then for some reason shuts down and remains off. I can restart it after playing with the thermostate some. Any idea what is causing this??
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If your trailer has the stock analog thermostat you may want to look at swapping it outfor a Hunter digital. The one on the Cruiser we use to have was off by anywhere from 3* to 5* on cool and heat. It took about 30 minutes to swap and cost about $20 at Walmart. Sounds like that is where your problem may be since you said you can play with it and it will start working again. Maybe a loose wire on the back side of it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree the thermostsat may be an issue and the change above is really easy to do. Does the furnace blow cool air before it stops working? If it does it could be in the furnace control board. The fan comes on first and then when the control board sees the Sail switch it releases the gas and ignites it. As long as it doesn't go to over temp it should heat until the thremostat turns it off and then the fan blows until it cools the furnace. Try the thermostat first.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Guys, I have to admit--------- I bought the hunter thermostat to switch mine over. I have tried a couple times to install it to no avail.
The last time I had the unit in for some service work I even ask Kurt (the service tech) to go through the wiring diagram with me and see what I was doing wrong. He did, and said it couldn't be made to work on my unit. Now, I either have the wrong stat, or, him and I are both missing something. My stat is---model # 42995B
Any ideas?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
New Camper

Furnance has been working ok since last night. Will have regulator and thermostate checked out. Curreny on Gulf coast, so hoping I won,t need heat much longer.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, I used either the 42995 or 42996 on the old Cruiser and it worked fine. I got the wiring diagram off the internet and had it up and working in about 30 minutes. I know a lot of people have changed them out on the CR units so I can't figure out why yours won't work. Here are a couple of links that detail the install, just follow the ones about installing it on a Duo Therm unit. Hope this helps.

http://www.klenger.net/RV_General/HVAC_Hunter_Tstat/hunter-digital-tstat-instructions.pdf

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,

The instuction Keith gave above are great and we had no problem installing ours.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Site Team

Keith-- Chris:
Thanks for the feed back. I book marked the 2 pages for future ref. (IN THE SPRING)
I guess one of the things that keeps coming back to me is the fact that one or other is 12 volt, and the other is 120 volt. That in it's self should make them not compatible with each other, and Kurt did say the same thing. I also remember somebody on the forum awhile back warning of the same thing. However, I did just read on one of those pages that Keith posted that if the stat has battery backup, it is suppose to work. Maybe there is hope yet.
(IN THE SPRING)
Thanks again

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote