Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just got back from our shake down weekend with our new 29BHX. Had two minor issues.
1. Light in hood over stove stopped working. Hopefully its a bulb.
2. At some point I noticed that the outside kitchen ref stopped working. Figure out the outlet had no power nor did any of the insideoutlets. The mainref and microwave had power. Then I saw the GFI outlet under the counter had been tripped. Hit the reset button everything was fine. Until it happen again a couple hours latter. Either someone was plugging something into the GFI outlet and push the test button by accident OR could it be an issue with shore power by this I mean, is it possible for a leak to ground in shore power to cause my GFI to trip?

Have another shake down weekend coming up in a different location, should be interesting to see if it happens again.

Thanks
Mark

2011 F250 CC
fancycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

my light on my range hood went... it seems to me that it is an odd sized bulb. Its similar to a 921 which is what most of my interior lights are, but 921 doesn't fit properly in it. I haven't bothered to change it as i have a light just beside my hood.
As for your GFI, the best option, may be to take it back to the dealer since its still under warranty. If thats not convenient for you; you could pull some of the plugs and check the connections. Or try the fridge on a different circuit (with an extension cord) if it trips another circuit maybe you can isolate the issue to the fridge.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

My experiences with GFI's have had the following results;

1) loose wires on the GFI plug itself

2) loose wires on the plug downstream of the GFI

3) corrosion or moisture in the GFI or downstream plugs

4) bad appliance

I would bet you are under warranty!
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Also cheap GFI's replace mine and never had any more problems five years later

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Check to junction boxes that are located outside and behind the wheels. If they are not sealed properly they will fill with road spray and cause a ground fault. If the kitchen outlet has a fault it disablesseveral 120 volt outlets. Mine were bad on both sides of the RV. I purchased and installed new covers and gaskets and used lots of silicon caulking. I also remade all of the electrical connections. So far, so good.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

;t back from our second weekend out and had no issues with the GFI outlet and it rain all day Saturday. Dave you might be on to something there, since our first weekend it rain a bit on the way there.

2011 F250 CC
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

If this is the source of your problem then the interior of the box will show evidence of rust dust. Regardless, if you get under the rig take some silicon caulking with you and make sure that the opening on the top of the box is well sealed. Ours had a wire coming though the knockout opening; no cable grip and very little factory caulking to seal this opening.
The regular RV electrical installer was off the day my rigs work was done. LOL
Kamper Dave
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

fancycamper,
Did you locate the problem?
fhenn has a very good point; after our water problem the outlet hummed upon being reset. I replaced it with a higher amperage (better built) outlet. It has a fancy child protection device that automatically covers the holes when the plug is removed. This feature has proved to be a royal pain, attempting to plug in to this fancy recepticle sometimes causes the wife to swear. I will be replacing it with a non child-proof unit.
Kamper Dave
Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Seen many times when GFI trips, it was a campground problem. Their grounding system was faulty and we had to feed the camper with a plug with the ground lug cut off. Hard to check now that you are no longer at that campground but, if it happens again, ask your neighbor to feed their camper from the same outlet and see if they trip the GFI. If they do too, then you know it's not you.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Figured it out.
I check the junction boxes and didn't find anything. At this point I was going to point to the campground. Until I got a jolt setting up the sewer hose on our second day into a two week trip. I discovered that the 120v line out to the slider would occasionally hang low enough to make contact with the tire. After turning off the power and closer inspection I found three spots where it had rubbed.
After spending 15 minutes splicing out the bad section, I figured out how it happened. The plastic bracket that holds the electrical lines out to the slider attach the lines with three "clips". These clips are aloud to slide along the bracket. When I slide two to one end and the other to the other end the middle hangs down about six to eight inches, which makes it low enough to make contact with a tire.
Going to call the dealer today to see if I can get a new line put in under warranty.

2011 F250 CC
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

;od luck on getting it fixed. Our Cruiser (when it was new last fall) had a similar issue. The cables on our slide hung down and were grabbing the black water handle. In fact it broke it. The first time that I found the handle out I figured that I messed up and forgot to push it back in after draining the tank. The 2nd time I got covered with black water, I wasn't a happy guy. That is when I figured out the wires were pulling the handle out and actually broke the pull.

The first time the mechanics screwed a block of wood to the frame to try and force the handle down. It still grabbed it and I called Crossroads and Randy told me he essentially doubted it was happening. I sent them definitive pictures and never heard anything more.

Back to the dealer and they have fussed with it. and wire tied parts of the harness and replaced the T handle. I don't think they shortened the wires. I keep a closer eye on that wire loom now. So far it hasn't grabbed the T handle again.

It sounds like they have some one size fits all wire looms that don't fit all.........................

Edited by: drcook

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote