Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi to all Crossroads people.
Four weeks ago I de winterised our 2009 - 29ck Cruiser 5th wheel. The hot water tank worked fine on both gas and electric. We were not going to use it right away so all water was drained and the hot water tank shut off and the unit put back in storage.
Today I am getting it ready for a trip day after tomorrow. The HWT will not work on elecrtic and / or gas.
The 2 amp fuse is okey, the thermostat (an add on) is fine. I cleaned all the contacts, adjusted the ignition points at 1/4 inche as per Atwood, cleaned out all the tubes( they were clean to start)
The HWT starts then shuts off. It does this the 3 times and then then I reset it. This was done over a 20 min. period. Sometimes there is a big "poof" like it is back firing. I did adjust the air but still the same. Sometimes it doesn't even fire up. Just shuts down. All other gas appliances work fine and the tanks are full.
All breakers and fuses are okey.
I am thinking the problem might be with the control board as it does not operate on electric or gas
Our Crossroads dealer is 6 hours away. I will be calling them for suggestions tomorrow in the morning.
Is there anything else I could try in the mean time?

trac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
You removed the fuse from the exterior circuit board and replaced it or just inspected it? On my previous camper it was blown but looked "OK", I finally gave up and replaced it anyways - and sure enough the unit worked.

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I did check the fuse with a multi meter.
I did get it to a RV shop this morning. They checked everything that i did and came to the conclsion that the control board was shot. It seems that a 12 volt supply from the control board is sent to an AC relay that operates the electric element. That would explain why both the gas and electric both quit at the same time. A control board is on order. My dealer said they would cover the warranty.

Thanks

trac5 is offline   Reply With Quote