Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Looking for information from anyone who has Trail-Aire Rota-flex pin box, Rear power leveling jacks, and Polar Tech upgrade insulation. How satisfied are you with them?

Like a LOT of folks living in the northern latitudes, the temps can get down into the 20's during the last couple of camping trips of the year. We have yet to own a 5'er that'll actually keep us warm.

Thanks
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We traded our '07 cf30sk for our new cf30sk Patriot unit this summer just because of the options you are askng about and other options in the package. I noticed a difference in towing with the rotoflex, much less bouncing, even the transporter said he noticed a smoother pull. The power jacks are much better at stabilizing the trailer than the wobbly siscor jacks, also much nicer to use. We camped Columbus day weekend with day temps in upper 40's and nite time in lower 30's. Had two 1000 watt electric heaters runing, one in living area, one in bedroom and furnace only ran a coupe of times during nite. All-in-all, although we thought our '07 was a great unit, the '10 Patriot is a great upgrade of a great trailer.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We are giving our Patriot the big test. Leaving for Montana, yep, it's snowing there. Back in a week and will let you know how we fared. So far with summer camping, we are very pleased with the towing, heating and livability.

w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We had our 2009 CF32BL (with the Polar Tech upgrade) out in the mountains for Canadian Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. Winter hit early and we had lows of -15C and highs of -8C through the weekend. The last morning we woke up to -25C. We had no problems keeping warm using just the furnace (and a lot of propane) and periodic use of a small electric heater. It was a little chilly in the trailer the last night, but not uncomfortable even for the kids. I did appreciate the thermal pane windows and thought that the furnace did a good job all things considering.
We ran water all weekend and did not have any problems until the last morning when some ice built up in the piping between the fresh water tank and the pump. Everything thawed out fine once we returned home and we are now winterized for the season.
Our next trip will be out to Jasper for New Years and we plan on using more electric heat to save on the propane. We will have electric hook ups in Jasper, which we did not have this last trip, so it should make a difference.
Hopefully this helps with your decision.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Hey Canucklehead, Welcome to the forum.

I was in Jasper on your Thanksgiving in 2001. Oct 8 if I remember right. It was only about -10 C then, but I was in an older motorhome with crappy insulation. Nothing froze upbut as you said we went thru a lot of propane. The public park I was in had electric but not sewer or water which was OK because it kept my batteries upfor the furnace that was was trying to drain them.

What a beautiful place!!I had to kick the big bull elk out of my camp site to pull in. The Iceland Parkway drive between Jasper and Baniff is one ofthe most breathtakingstretches of highway we have ever traveled. And when we were there we had just spent a month in Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier parks. So we had some of the best parks in the US to compare too.

We spent about 3 weeks in the Baniff, Jasper area but when the heavy early snows started we had to head south over some pretty high passes.

If you use a lot of electric heat in the trailer, you will still want to use the furnace to ensure your tanks and piping don't freeze up. Even if you use the drip system to prevent freeze ups in the incoming water, it won't protect the tanks and unused pipes.

Sorry for getting a little off topic.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote