Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
New Camper

I have not been on the forum for a while and I am hoping that someone can help with a concern I have. I traded my 2003 Dodge 2500 (2X4) single axle diesel for a 2008 Dodge 3500 (4x4) dually diesel. I have a 2005 Cruiser 27RL with one slide out. The new truck is about 5 inches higher than the old one and when I lower the hitch so that I have about 6 inch clearance between the truck sides and the the trailer she is not setting level. The springs on the trailer are on the top of the axle (I believe). Is there any way of raising the trailer about 1 to 2 inches at the axle. I still have one adjustment on the hitch but that will put the clearance to about 5 inches and that may be too close.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
looking forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You may have to raise camper with new shackel plates off the frame from Lippert. The new plates come with 2 set of holes. You could also go with 2" longer u bolts and put a spacer between spring and axel plate. I am doing the latter. 2" is not that bad I am towing that way now, have for 4000 miles with no problems.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I would not raise the trailer unless it was the only way to achieve a fix. These trailers already have a high center of gravity. On most trucks and especially 4X4's, shims are located under the rear springs of the truck to intentionally raise them up. I suppose they are trying to achieve more ground clearance? I know many people who have removed many of these shims and lowered the tail end of their truck to make it level. You don't have to necessarily remove all of them. There are several threads on many of the forums about this and how easy it is to do. The truck will look better even unloaded, easier to get in and out of and certainly have a more favorable height to pull your 5th wheel. Youare notcompromising the load carrying ability of your truck when you do this!!! This is not an expensive or hard fix. You may need to have the U-bolts threaded a little more so the nuts will tighten but this is about all the expense you will incur. The front end is not necessary.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Great 1st post there Pull Dog...you beat me to it! If I may though, you don't have to remove the spacers from the spring pack...just any between the axle and springs to the top of the springs and now you don't have to cut/change/rethread the u-bolts.

http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowerin...d/slide01.html

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote