Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Gone Traveling

Location of Schwintek Slide Controller

We were getting ready to return from our camping trip on Sunday and the main slide (living room) got stuck part way in. I finally got it all the way in so we could travel.

Today, I called a dealer who immediately wanted to replace the Schwintek assembly for $1600 or so before even seeing it and trouble shooting. I called Crossroads and they said too bad so sad since I am 6 weeks out of warranty.

I called Lippert and they were very helpful. The technical support guy gave me a couple of things to do to trouble shoot and to re-synchronize the motors before going to the dealer. He was hopeful these things will fix the issue or at least let me speak intelligently to the dealer.

Here is the problem.... I cant find the controller. The Lippert person called Crossroads and was told it is close to the water pump. I pulled the drawers and looked there but it is not there.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to find the controller on my 2014 Cruiser Aire 28RK. I found the one for the wardrobe slide and so I'm sure what it looks like.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Only 6 weeks out of warranty - not enough gets checked out with a 1 year warranty

Mine was under the bed and relocated to the storage compartment area. It may be behind some cabinets or drawers. Look for wires from the slide motor area.

They do not want to warranty it because of their design flaws. Lucky for me I had a 2 year warranty. Took about 2 years to get ours fixed - it spent 6 months at the RV shop to get all of the issues fixed. Lost the fall camping season in 2012 and 2013.

Pictures of ours after and before. One would think that they would install the controller where it can be easily accessed to allow troubleshooting and adjustments to the controller.

May be time to contact the president - acripe@crossroadsrv.com.
or Vice President of Sales mthompson@crossroadsrv.com.

Maybe one of them will offer some assistance to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide controller.jpg (118.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg controller 2.jpg (182.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg slide controller 2.JPG (51.6 KB, 18 views)

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ours is in the basement storage on the ceiling, very hard to reach. This is probably because the Schwintek slide is the bedroom slide, just over said space. since yours is the living room slide, I suggest you look somewhere in the vicinity of this slide. Good luck!

By the way, we found the location by calling Crossroads. We were on the road and could not get the slide in.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Mine is in the bottom of entertainment center.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Site Team

I have a SF270BH. The lower right compartment in the entertainment center is blank (flat panel behind the door). The controllers for my slides are behind that panel.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

mine 2.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

I never did find the controller but I did examine the upper rear track closely and found metal burs. I decided it was time for a professional. Today I got the results of the technician's diagnosis. He said the Schwintec frame on the rear of the slide was not properly supported allowing it to flex thereby causing the motor to skip, the slide to bind and damaging the track. The track has to be replaced and the Schwintec frame has to be structurally supported.

This sounds like purely a bad design and installation by Crossroads. As I mentioned, it is about 2 months out of warranty. They have already said too bad at the lower level customer service. Do you think I could encourage crossroads to incur the repair costs? What tactic do you recommend? NorskeNY provided email addresses above. Would an email do it? Should I write a letter? Or, do I just write it off?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

They should pay for the repairs. It is design or manufacturing problem.

In your case it looks like "someone" in CrossRoads RV is not supporting your claim.

I had significant gear and rail damage - mine was because the slide was only sealed 50% of the way around the slide. This lead to water intrusion, failure of the side walls and cracking in the bottom of the bedroom slide. I road the CrossRoads Service reps a _ _ until we came up with a repair plan. E-mailed him 4-5 times a day. I even had to find design the "re-call" information on the internet before he got serious about finding a new design and repair plan for our RV.

I am sure you are already past this point - I never contact the RV dealer first - I always start with CrossRoads RV. My position is that it is their problem (design or manufacturing) and they need to deal with it. All my communications are via e-mail so I have a "legal" record of our "conversations".

Get a written estimate from the RV dealer outlining the design/manufacturing flaw.

If you have not already done so contact via e-mail CrossRoads Service/warranty dept.- there should be a link on the site.

If you have already been dealing directly with the service rep. provide him/her with the information and pictures via e-mail. Make him/her explain why they will not pay for the repairs.

If the claim is still not approved then - contact the president of CrossRoads RV, president of the sales department and president of the service department. If you have been dealing with a CrossRoads service rep. include the name in your communications. I did that and got action within 2 hours of my e-mail.

CrossRoads was purchased by Thor a few years ago - next step is to contact "presidents" within the Thor corporation.

In my case I purchased the RV from Camping World and contacted the president of Camping World and I received a reply from him within 45 minutes and a call from the local camping world service manager within 2 hours.

The SCHWINTEK INWALL SLIDEOUT SYSTEM is not as forgiving as motor operated or hydraulic operated slide systems. Proper alignment is critical to the slide operation. I do not understand why CrossRoads continues to use the design - then again I do - it is all about profit margin and not the reliability of the RV.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Wow after reading all of this it really makes me glad we have the BAL cable system for our slides. Good luck with your repairs.

The Duncans
2015 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Yes call Crossroads customer service. Talk to Lynn or one of the others with an estimate from your repair shop. I have had good luck getting things covered, even a little after the warranty expired when it has clearly been an installation flaw that was present from the beginning. be nice, but stick to your guns.

Make sure you call, not e-mail until they request you e-mail the estimate. then follow up once a week with a phone call. Do not leave this up to your dealer or you will be stuck between a he said she said when really no one is doing anything.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
Yes call Crossroads customer service. Talk to Lynn or one of the others with an estimate from your repair shop. I have had good luck getting things covered, even a little after the warranty expired when it has clearly been an installation flaw that was present from the beginning. be nice, but stick to your guns.

Make sure you call, not e-mail until they request you e-mail the estimate. then follow up once a week with a phone call. Do not leave this up to your dealer or you will be stuck between a he said she said when really no one is doing anything.
Good advice - I got a little long winded and showing my frustration with the product that has some design issues.

Hopefully they will get some help from CrossRoads.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

Thanks everyone. According to the technician at the repair shop, the Schwintek was not properly supported by structure and was twisting and flexing so that the slide did not move evenly and the motors skipped. The upper track got damaged because of it. Crossroads looked at the blue prints and said I was supposed to have a "Through Frame". So it was never engineered for a Schwintek.

I just emailed Andy Cripe and Matt Thompson to see what they will do. I was using the email addresses NorskeNY supplied above. Matt Thompson's bounced back. The server said it did not exist.

Does anyone have an email address for him or his replacement if he is gone?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

A quick google search... it seems Matt Thompson is at Jayco now. Hopefully Cripe will get my email.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

You will be better off to call them than follow up with an e mail
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Call 260-593-2866 customer service ask for Bill Hodge do not get crappy with them just explain the problem I am sure he will take care of you
gcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
You will be better off to call them than follow up with an e mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcubs View Post
Call 260-593-2866 customer service ask for Bill Hodge do not get crappy with them just explain the problem I am sure he will take care of you
X3!

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
Gone Traveling

Thanks everyone. Today I got a call from Angie Cox, Retail Services Manager, who said they would pay for my repairs under the warranty.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau Duke To Go View Post
Thanks everyone. Today I got a call from Angie Cox, Retail Services Manager, who said they would pay for my repairs under the warranty.

Great news!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Help Guys

I too am having MAJOR problems with my NEW Elevation 3612 living room slide. It's NEVER worked right since we got it. Still Under warranty.... yet it's been in the shop for weeks on end. They say they FIX it but we still have problems. I have no idea how to deal with this problem. Can you please give me some insight? Thanks in advance.
Mollymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
Gone Traveling

Mollymist, If you have the Schwintec, the guy at Lippert said they are " highly dependent" on proper installation. In my case, the technician said the slide out mechanism frame was not properly supported thereby allowing the mechanism to twist and flex causing the the slide room to not move evenly and the motors to skip.

I see you are in Louisiana. I am in Covington, Louisiana and have no confidence in the Crossroads dealers here. I would suggest you contact Crossroads directly. There are some good contact numbers in this thread. Make sure you have copies of the work orders from EVERY visit.