Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
New Camper

Last year we got a 2004 Cruiser 29RL. I already had a 2004 Chevy Crew Cab 2wd and knew that I more than likely need to replace it. It does good with the helper springs I added and the fuel mileage is great. The truck is maxed out and is weak on steep grades. I am considering the F250 pstroke 4x4 ext cab and also the Chevy2500HD Duramax, and Dodge w/cummins. Does any have positive and negative experiences with any of the three. Suggestions invited.Thanks, Tom
TOMNDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I assume your 04 is agasser ,I could take a little weakness if the MPG and everything else was right.Any of the ones you named will do you a great job.Some people think if its not a one ton its not enough and some think if it aint a dulley its not enough.You will like the power of a Diesel over the gas,unless its a V10 and some people really like them.I drive a Ford,but thats just my perfence,you can't beat the Cummins and there are still people that drive Chevy's all by choice.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You are likely to get a lot of advice here but my suggestion is to do lots of research, drive each of the three and make your own decision. I think any of the three will be fine. I am biased towards the diesel now that I went from a GM 6.0 gasser to the Duramax. There are LOTS of websites for you to research. Good luck.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I believe any of the three would be great. I also think diesel is the way to go. Nice thing a bout a Crossroads is their light weight.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

At the minimum I would go with a 3/4 ton gas truck. Anything less than that would be pushing it. And if the funds allow it you could move up to the diesel motor and have plenty of extra power but I wouldn't go with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

As everyone said any of the three are good units,I was born and bred into dodge so i'm partial to dodge.I hardly know my 29ck is behind,and up here in canada in the mountains it preforms well,the engine brake is also a great feature saving on the brakes on the downhill slopes.Just returned from a 2 week trip and milage was between 12.5-14 mpg so I was happy.

2008 Cruiser 29CK

2008 Dodge Mega Cab 2500HD 6.7L and the Boss, Bailey the Yellow Laprador Retiever
Ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

every one has their own idea of what is the better truck. I went with the Dodge because the torque starts at 1100 rpm and is a flat curve all the way up the Power Stroke and the Duramax torque starts at 2100 to 2300. Also have a lot less parts to go bad in the Dodge. Shop and get the one that you are most happy with I will never go back to a gasser. I will have Janet get a second job if I have to

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Unless you are looking for a brand new vehicle you could always look for a Chevy with the 8.1L. MPG towing is going to be 8 to 9. For a gasser it's hard to beat for pulling power. Any of the big 3 diesels would work great and they would get 10-12 pulling your 5vr.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Chevy Chevy or Chevy
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Sorry, I got a little caried away there. Actualy any of the big three would work. I don't think the fords will get the MPG the Chevy or Dodge will but I don't know that for sure, I like the looks of the Ford best, The inside of the Chevy the best, and I think the Dodge might have the best power.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Disclaimer, I did not post any of the above while I was sober so none of it can be used at a future date against me . Don't even try
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I too was in the market for a truck to tow my 32SB. Lots of great advice noted above - I will chime in with the diesel guys - there is a reason why locomotives and tractor-trailers use diesel power - torque. They are built to withstand the heavy hauling - no so much for thegassers. My truck of choice was a 07.5 Silverado 6.6 Duramax with the 6Spd Allison - do not overlook the transmission - although the Allison is not bullet-proof (none of them are) - the ratings for the Duramax/Allison paring were too good to pass up. I liked the Dodge - for the Cummins - but my wife found the ride too stiff. I am extremely happy with the power - beware of MPG ratings = this will depend on your load, terrain and your driving habits. Best of luck in your search......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

It is too late Don we have down on the electronic nutron mail box, not even Chris can destroy this one

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
Disclaimer, I did not post any of the above while I was sober so none of it can be used at a future date against me . Don't even try

Friends shouldn't let friends drink and type.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Our whole family is Ford guys.We own 3 power strokes,My nephew bought to much trailer for his truck and we went on a search for a truck to pull it.I can not believe He settled on a Dodge but as FHENN stated the power band on the Dodge is better for pulling he ended up going with the 1 ton Dodge dually for his trailer.I think we could pull his Dodge all the way across the pasture with our 3/4 Ton Fords but when it comes to towing the trailer His new truck is quite an improvement on mileage and ride.While still filling the bill as an adequate work truck.He kept his Ford for hunting and working around the farm but is sold on his dodge for camping

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #16
Site Team

I guess everybody has an opinion------that's what makes the world go around.
That being said, when I was in the market for a new truck, the first place I looked was at my friendly Dodge dealer. I don't remember if it was 1 ton or a 3/4 we took out for a test ride. I had every intention of buying a dodge, but after that ride I changed my mind!!! I compared it to riding on an old hay wagon going down through a bumpy field. My understanding is that they have improved on the ride since then. I would sure hope so!!
We ended up with a Duramax. Only have 44000 mi on it, but so far we are pretty well satisfied with our decision. It pulls our 5er well (even if it is just a little guy) It also pulled our HH well, and we were just about maxed out on the weight with that.
Just to throw a little more fat on the fire, there has been some unhappy PS owners on the forum of late. My Son owns 2 of them, and 1 has been in for a new turbo already with less then 30000 mi. on it.
I'm sure what ever decision you make, it will be the right one---for you.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Yeah, posting a tow vehicle question can get some people really fired up!

I drive a Dodge w/ a diesel engine, butFord and Chevy diesel trucks are great trucks too. In my opinion, the Chevys/GMCs have the best interiors (although the King Ranch Fords are pretty cool). I think Dodge interiors are ok, but not great. I purchased mine based upon the reputation of the Cummins engine.

Try the Tow Vehicle forum over atwww.rv.net. They have a lot of info there too.

Good luck with your search!

TitansFan
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

_popupControl();

Drive them all and you decide what best fits your taste. They all have a pretty decent product out now. The perfect truck for me would be a F250 King Ranchor 350 KRwith a Cummings Engine and theAllison Transmission. Although the Torqshift transmission from Ford is pretty close the Allison.

On a side note: I won't want to give up my truck even though I just had new head studs, head gasket, EGR cooler and turbo rebuilt. Also, Inow havea full factory warranty on the powertrainand transmission for 7 years / 200k. At my current rate I'll be hitting the mileage before the years.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Wow, I'm proud of you guys. For this group, being asked this question; it hasn't turned into truck wars........yet!!

Sparky Dachshund/Beagle & doxi's Sami & Dexter

Cruiser CF29BT, 08 F250, Lariat

https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...250DESKTOP.jpg

dsaalease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

We are new to RVing. Last week I bought a new '09 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab, long bed with all the trailering options including the Duramax/Allison powertrain. This past weekend we ordered a Cruiser CF31QB. This the first truck and RV we have ever owned and I think it is a good match.
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote