Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Mice

Hi all, just thought I would relate my latest mouse escapade, first campout of the year, first nite near freezing out about 4:00 AM furnace starts making an incredible racket. Finally get the thing turned off and go back & get a little more shuteye. Later I extract the furnace, tilt it up on end and start spinning the blower around to check the bearings and found a mouse on the intake side quite deceased. Guess the Fresh Cab didn't do any good this time.......
dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Glue Traps have caught mice in the RV for the past two winters. Fresh Cab and dryer sheets failed us. We found one stuck critter had moved most of the Decon poison pellets from the kitchen to the living room even left green turds. Moth Balls around the tires and landing gear didn't stop them either.
We need a cat.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

This post is about mud daubers, not mice. Last year when we were in Florida I saw one flying into the furnace vent. We looked inside to see a nest under construction. We pulled the nest out and bought one of those screens they sell at RV stores to cover the vent. If I had not seen the little bugger go in, we would not have known what was going on. It's always a good idea to get one of those screens and attach it.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave View Post
Glue Traps have caught mice in the RV for the past two winters. Fresh Cab and dryer sheets failed us. We found one stuck critter had moved most of the Decon poison pellets from the kitchen to the living room even left green turds. Moth Balls around the tires and landing gear didn't stop them either.
We need a cat.
Dave, maybe you should set one of these up in your camper for the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mouse trap.jpg (185.9 KB, 31 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave View Post
We need a cat.
Whatever you do, don't get a Ragdoll (breed of cat) if you want a mouser. Our Ragdoll is sweet and pretty, but the world's worst mouser! Here's a video I posted to YouTube of her after a mouse. She thinks they are just toys that we provide for her!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, That's a great idea. Pass on the cat.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
About 25 years ago, I went up to British Columbia to do some mountain climbing. We had an old logging camp as our base camp. In the middle of the bunk room was one of these pails with the ramp and PB wheel. They would catch about 15 mice per day!

In all my years of providing free swimming lessons for mice, I've never had a single one pass the course. They've all died trying. I must be a terrible instructor.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Lloyd, I'll give that contraption a whirl!!
Maybe you ought to go into production and sell them at Wal-Mart.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I've used peanut butter (instead of cheese) in mouse traps.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

The problem with trapping and killing mice in a place where you will not be for a while, like an RV in winter storage or a house when you go south, is that dead mice tend to smell bad. We always put out mouse poison, which causes the mice to leave the house in search of water and they die outside.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
The problem with trapping and killing mice in a place where you will not be for a while, like an RV in winter storage or a house when you go south, is that dead mice tend to smell bad. We always put out mouse poison, which causes the mice to leave the house in search of water and they die outside.
I have found it to be just the opposite. When they get a belly full of poison, they crawl under or in something and die. Then they stink.
They don't stink when they are in a pail of RV anti freeze.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I have found it to be just the opposite. When they get a belly full of poison, they crawl under or in something and die. Then they stink.
Probably acts as a preservative.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
If your RV antifreeze is Ethyl Alcohol based then those mice might be jumping in just to party!
Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Lloyd,
I used these "redneck mousetraps" for a few years during the winter in our RV and tow vehicle which are parked in a shed with one side open. I could never find where they were getting into the truck and so tried these. I found that they seem to ATTRACT mice for me. Once I quit using them, I have a lot LESS intrusion. I guess it makes sense that they can smell the peanut butter and this draws them in. I do use them effectively in the sheds, at least until the daughter's dog visits.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I have four mouse traps set around my 5er. It's inclosed in a metal garage that we had built back in 98. Seems to do the job.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainSafe View Post
About 25 years ago, I went up to British Columbia to do some mountain climbing. We had an old logging camp as our base camp. In the middle of the bunk room was one of these pails with the ramp and PB wheel. They would catch about 15 mice per day!

In all my years of providing free swimming lessons for mice, I've never had a single one pass the course. They've all died trying. I must be a terrible instructor.
Ditto on that.
I've used multiple buckets at my deer camp with excellent results for forty years.
They don't wear out, last forever and very effective.
Best defense of course is to seal every conceivable opening in your RV /TT/5er
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Went camping last weekend & thought we were going to be mouse free until the last nite when the temp dipped to freezing. Got up to find a cereal bowl that was full of dog food on the floor was now empty and upon inspecting here and there found the evidence we had been invaded by the pests again. Thought I felt one crawling on the covers during the nite, wasn't dreaming. All this in spite of the dryer sheets and sticky pads. Had to have been more than one, that was a lot of dog food....
Old 10-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Are you sure it wasn't a chipmunk? For mice to empty a bowl of dog food is amazing.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Team

I'm surprised the dog didn't get it. My female Dachshund has killed over a dozen mice around the house, among other things like voles, moles and birds. I'm convinced she is why I've never had a mouse in my camper.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Thanks mark5w, DavisK, there were plenty of chipmunks running around the camping spot, kind of dis concerning to think of one of those in the camper still. Have caught two mice since returning home though, maybe I should rig up the bucket trick for the chipmunk if its still in there.......