Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Mold in front bedroom

Omg help!! Under the bed I notice mold,along the outside frame and my mattress is damp.i noticed mold on the window tracks. The bed frame is warped 2012 cruiser. Bought this unit 2014 in August. Had many issues that the dealer said was repaired(which I question). Now the 3 month warranty is over and they have been rude with us ever since they received our Cash. l did love this unit. But not sure what to do at this point.There seems to be a leak at the back side left hand corner by the bed,under the tiny window! Help me:/
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You need to inspect all the sealant on the seams. Walls and roof. Spray with a hose and have someone look for water. Once you find the source you can stop it. Then bleach the mold and dry out the unit with a dehumidifier. And fans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
You need to inspect all the sealant on the seams. Walls and roof. Spray with a hose and have someone look for water. Once you find the source you can stop it. Then bleach the mold and dry out the unit with a dehumidifier. And fans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
And once all is dry, rent a Ozone Generator to clean out and kill all germs.
Greetings, Harold
Old 03-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrand View Post
And once all is dry, rent a Ozone Generator to clean out and kill all germs.
Greetings, Harold
So much work! The hose is a great ideal,if I can wait that long.its raining in Bc and will be for the next month:/ just don't want to get sick. And we are here for a month. So much fir enjoying our new to us Cruiser! Thank you for your time.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
So much work! The hose is a great ideal,if I can wait that long.its raining in Bc and will be for the next month:/ just don't want to get sick. And we are here for a month. So much fir enjoying our new to us Cruiser! Thank you for your time.
If you have that much mold you really should not be occupying it for any length of time. You are asking for respiratory and sinus issues. I would also where a respirator or N-95 type mask while attempting to abate the problem.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

put some kind of a fan system into the trailer(google it) and yo wil see where that air escapes from the outside. perfect if it is wet outside tosee , seal up where you see air bubbles.... see.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear of your problems. I think one of the most misunderstood things about owning an RV is how much work they are to maintain, especially when it comes to leak prevention.

My recommendation:

1. Go over all your seams, roofing penetrations, windows, and other areas that have caulk or lap sealant and see if you have gaps or cracks in the sealant. Reseal or re-caulk as needed.

2. Windows are also prone to leaking. You may have to remove the windows and replace the gasket material and then re-caulk if it appears the window is what is leaking.

3. As has been mentioned above, kill the mold with a bleach/water solution and dry the unit with a dehumidifier.

4. Remove any damaged paneling, insulation, carpeting, etc. that you can't get cleaned up or dried out otherwise and replace. The dealer or Cross Roads can most likely get you matching paneling to install. Hopefully it hasn't gotten into the wall to the point that it will cause delamination. The Cruisers used to be hung wall construction, but have gone to laminated construction in recent years.

5. Build you a shed to keep it in when you are not using it. These units really aren't built to sit out in the weather full time. Indoor storage is a necessity if you want to keep it nice and minimize problems. (That is my opinion, anyway.)

I wouldn't let this go for another month if you are in the middle of rainy season. At the very least get a tarp or cover over it and get a dehumidifier going until you can deal with it. Good luck!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Ducky
Go to this web site: WWW.sealtechusa.com

Maybe they have a dealer near you...It is the best way to find a leak in your RV...Hope this helps...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Mold I hate it ... I am new to the Northwest and the air is just so damp. My 05 PP has no leaks just damp air. We did notice a little around the windows and during the winter the bathroom wall were wet with condensation and mold on the walls. I washed the walls with a water and bleach mix. Opened the doors and had a fan running inside. This has seemed to work. I will know more when we open everything up to prep for the summer camping season
Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all the tips which I will be using! Nit sure hiw thus forum works but tis message is for all. I may clean thus out and trade it in. Been RVing for 10 years. Never came across this before and a newer unit.Crossroad Cruiser is leaving us with a sour taste!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all the tips which I will be using! Nit sure hiw thus forum works but tis message is for all. I may clean thus out and trade it in. Been RVing for 10 years. Never came across this before and a newer unit.Crossroad Cruiser is leaving us with a sour taste!
Ducky, you can't blame Cross Roads for that. Any camper under the same circumstances would have more then likely done the same thing.

It's the owners responsibility when living in a unit to make sure they follow the right procedure in caring for the unit.
A window cracked open on each end would have been a big help in your situation. Also the overhead vent in the bathroom should be crack open.
When ever hot showers/baths are taken, you should open that vent and turn on the exhaust fan.
A little prevention goes a long ways.
I wish you the best in getting the problem resolved.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Another tip I read on here a while back that works is if you find mildew on the fabric, such as your sofa, try a vinegar/water solution. Use it in a spray bottle. It will kill the mildew and help keep it from coming back.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Yes your right,maintaining is very important.which we do and have.fans are always on and open when cooking or showering. Never knew we should leave the window a crack open.just wished this leak was found before we purchased it or been told.the rear stabilization motor and wiring all need to be replaced. Fireplace is humming even after vacuuming. Fridge is freezing at back and leaks. Sprayer Hose for the sewer tore and cause a leak,the kitchen plumbing sprung a leak. All the hoses have been sliced or pulled away under the fifth wheel. Ac not working properly. The outside speaker crackles.Toilet foot pedal broke. No replacement part available. It's been a horrible buy!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Yes your right,maintaining is very important.which we do and have.fans are always on and open when cooking or showering. Never knew we should leave the window a crack open.just wished this leak was found before we purchased it or been told.the rear stabilization motor and wiring all need to be replaced. Fireplace is humming even after vacuuming. Fridge is freezing at back and leaks. Sprayer Hose for the sewer tore and cause a leak,the kitchen plumbing sprung a leak. All the hoses have been sliced or pulled away under the fifth wheel. Ac not working properly. The outside speaker crackles.Toilet foot pedal broke. No replacement part available. It's been a horrible buy!
Even if you trade it in, you run the risk of having the same problems in whatever you trade for. I'm a former Forest River (Coachmen TT, Flagstaff TT, and Blue Ridge fiver) owner. If you read over on their forum, people have the same problems. Same way on the Keystone and Jayco forums. I had a lot of problems with my Blue Ridge, but after getting everything fixed it was an awesome camper. You might be best off to get the leak located and fixed and work through the other odd and end problems. At least then you'll know what you've got. That is if you like your camper and the floor plan other than the problems.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Absolutely

Thank you all.
Lots of good tips and yes I'd probably run into the same problems.
Sometimes it gets so frustrating. But the is more positive being a RVer.
Happy Travels
Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #16
New Camper

had the same problem.

I had the same problem only not as bad. Dealer found no leaks and noted a leak can't accumulate that much water sight unseen. A good dose of lysoll spray did the job + carpet cleaning. In my case the window was open a crack for 3 weeks. We also found the window and walls were sweating on the mattress in the fall. Now we leave the heat on until winter storage. (Live in NH) You noted a damp mattress, I suspect if you have a roof vent over the bed it was slightly open, or has a lose cover. mold on walls won't penetrate the vinyl so u should be ok. good luck
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I had the same problem only not as bad. Dealer found no leaks and noted a leak can't accumulate that much water sight unseen. A good dose of lysoll spray did the job + carpet cleaning. In my case the window was open a crack for 3 weeks. We also found the window and walls were sweating on the mattress in the fall. Now we leave the heat on until winter storage. (Live in NH)

You noted a damp mattress, I suspect if you have a roof vent over the bed it was slightly open, or has a lose cover. mold on walls won't penetrate the vinyl so u should be ok. good luck
If you have crank out windows, you won't have rain coming in if they are only cracked open. Slider windows is a different story.

You don't get a wet mattress just from the overhead vent being open.
If it's cold outside, your body heat, and the heat in the trailer is enough difference to make the mattress feel damp. That is the reasoning behind venting. In other words a window on each end of the trailer will help tremendously with the moisture issue.

Mold is mold. In my opinion if it's in the walls, it's in the air in the trailer.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #18
New Camper

"You don't get a wet mattress just from the overhead vent being open." You do if its over the bed and it rains or snows . Even when the vent is covered with a maxx air cover.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #19
Site Team

I've been out on quite a few occasions when it has snowed several inches and have never experienced that.
You can get condensation dripping from that overhead vent tho. We use the pillow in all overhead vents when it is cold.

Tags
leaks