Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I'm not going to sugar coat the story, but I want to pass out some thank you's.

My 2009 Cruiser had what I thought was a toe-in condition on both axles. Prior to my trip to NM next month my dealer - Trafford's RV of Conway, NH stated they would gladly inspect the axles under warranty. The unit was ordered through Trafford's by me last June and delivered in August. I literally drove the unit from the dealership to our seasonal site and in October back to the dealership for winter storage - it had no mishaps that I know of (unless it occurred on it's journey to NH from Indiana).

Last Wednesday Traffords called me and stated they measured the axle perch hangers and all were within spec, but both tires on the driver's side had a toe-in condition that exceeded acceptable limits.

The dealership contacted Alicia Dunafin/Randy M. at Crossroads and were assisted in making contact with Lippert to initiate a claim and warranty replacement of the axles. The approval was given same day and the axles arrived Monday. Tuesday Traffords installed the new axles and stated they were satisfied with the repair.

I would like to thank the Crossroads, Lippert and especially Traffords RV warranty folks. All of this was painless for me and I have new axles on my trailer for my trip out west in a few weeks. I am displeased that a trailer this new would have defective axles but as a QA person I understand that defects occur.

Again - thank you to all the people who assisted me in getting this issue corrected. More then ever I am convinced that buying locally served me well with the level of service I received.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Great to hear!

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Glad to here it's fixed. Mike
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks guys -

See you on the road! I am excited to start my trip to New Mexico !!!

Hopefully we will see you again this summer cwit - I am anxious to start the season, the snow amount this year is kilin' me!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

It seems that there is a problem with these axles.
I had the right rear wheel fall off from the trailer as we pulled into a c.g speeding maybe 5mph.
Checking it out we discovered that the welding was no good and was only partly done.
The Lippert axle manufacturer sent me 2 axles to replace the old ones but it took time and a lot of aggravation.

Edited by: danyshula

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I luckily had no hassle. However, after my croscountry trip with the new axles I have the door side rear tire wearing the outside 2 tread blocks about 1/3 faster then the rest of the tires. I can't figure out if it's the tire or if it's the axles, again.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
JPG
Weekend Camper

How much longer is this "axle problem" going to continue??? I mean, how hard is it to make a quality non-defective axle??? How long are the RV manufactures going to but parts from these morons at Lippert? Why not have them manufactured somewhere else?? Just doesn't make sense!!!!!!!!!!

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

The dealer put it really simply - they told me to call Crossroads and demand they pay for Dexter axles to be installed.

Try finding a post about dexter axles bending.......?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I agree, Lippert has to go. Even if they keep replacing the axles free of charge, the inconvenience is headache enough. Hopefully Crossroads will wake up soon. We had one axle replaced because it was "crushed". Both axles have camber (bend) in them near the tires. Is that normal. I looked at the axles on a friend's 5er and his axles were perfectly straight and perfectly round. Does anyone know if camber is normal? If so, how much ok?

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab
tgckmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

This axle problem is nothing new. Crossroads used Alko Kober at one time and there was a big number of trailers that hit the streets with problem axles. Alko admitted to Crossroads that they had a "quality control" problem and would replace any axles that came back with abnormal tire wear, the kicker was that the trailer had to be under warranty and the original owner. This problem has not been limited to Alko or Lippert or Crossroads trailers for that matter. If you search the archives on this site or any RV forum you will find plenty of discussions about bad axles. If you are under warranty, use your warranty and get it fixed. If you are not, my suggestion is to look for frame/spring alignment shop. They can bendyouraxle and fix the problem for a small fee. It used to be around$150.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Just a update, Tireco is sending out a new tire to me to replace the one that is wearing abnormally. Randy, the dealer and I doubt after 2 new axles that the type of wear is caused by the axles.

I will find out after a few thousand miles. I am balancing the tires as suggested.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Good luck with that. I have had two of my three axles replaced on my Cross Terrain after much abnormal tire wear, many tire destructions, and continual problems. I had the last axle replaced last week. On the way home today, I lost another tire. Luckily, I had just purchased a tire monitoring system so I knew when it went. The last tire failure destroyed a rim and sent shrapnel into the other two tires on that side. I just wish I could travel without losing a tire !!!

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

In my early post regarding this issue I have reported about replacing my "old" Axles with new ones from Lippert.
They were kind enough to send me the new ones after what seemed a bad welding.
New ones were installed and I was happy to be on the road again,BUT after a while I smelled rubber and found out that the tires are rubber against the shocks...the Axles were to short..
Till I get the right Axles I have removed the shocks to make space for the tires - UNBELIEVABLE I could get the tires blow as we go..
I have a feeling that many have problems with Lippert Axles,is it correct?and what can be done?

Edited by: danyshula

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Shocks and/or brackets hitting the tires is an old problem. Mine were fixed under warrantee (as were others) by cutting the shock mount brackets back about 1/2"-3/4" and then they remounted the shocks. I have not had any more problems with that. You might do a search in the old forum for this as this all happened about 2 years ago.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Shocks and/or brackets hitting the tires is an old problem. Mine were fixed under warrantee (as were others) by cutting the shock mount brackets back about 1/2"-3/4" and then they remounted the shocks. I have not had any more problems with that. You might do a search in the old forum for this as this all happened about 2 years ago.
I had mine fixed yesterday.
Instead of moving the brackets , I have drilled on the same brackets new holes that allowed the shocks to be further away from the tires then cut away the extra piece of the bracket-it works fine.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I did not know that Lippert made axles. I did get caught up in the Alko fiasco on our PP but the company & Mr Mishler took wonderful care of us. At the time Alko had not even taken responsibility for the problem but C/R did.. IMHO.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Like was said above. There's been enough posted about this (these) problem(s) to fill a Sears & Roebuck mail order catalog. Not only here but almost every RV forum there is.

On my next new trailer, I'm going to have it put in the trade that I want the axles checked and documented in writing,for accuracy by a reputabletruck alignment shop before I tow itoff the lot.

This non-sense has been going on now for over seven years. You'd think that these axle mfgers would finally wise up. There is no way in the world that a problem of this magnitude could go on for this long, unless their QCis shot to heck.

Yep, I fully understand. I had Al-Ko and they were replaced after 3000 miles.

Unusual part was that when I called Crossroads, they knew exactly what the problem was and shipped outtwo new axles and four new tires, that day, no questions.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #18
New Camper

I have a Cruiser 2007 ck and have had excessive outside edge tire wear on the real tire, door side. I get about 5000 miles per tire before I feel it is not safe to keep drivingwith the tire. It also takes about a year for me to put 5000 miles on the unit. Carlyle RV in Saskatchewan replaced the rear axle inMay 2008 (at least I think they did). In April of 2009 exactly the sameproblem at 5000 miles.Carlyle RVagain lookedinto the problem and said the Wheel bearings were not tighted enough.My 2 year warranty expired in May of 2009. Now here we are again in 2010 and exactly the same problem.

I contacted Crossroads and wastold thatbecause the warranty has expired they would not help me. They alsosaid that even if the unit was in warranty they do not cover axles, I find that anunbeliveable statement. They also will not communicate with me anymore. This is the worse support I have ever had from any company. Carlylenow says Ineed to have an alingment done.Crossroads will not coverthis either. I feel the problem has been there from day one and the cause has never been identified, so Crossroads shouldbearresponsibility evenif the warranty is over.
normanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I would try contacting Lippert. They are the axle manufacturer. I believe they have a three warranty on the frame, which I would think would include the axles. Sure sounds odd for Crossroads being so uncooperative.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

The Lippert warranty on the frame and axles is 2 years. I know, I just replaced an axle last spring. Lippert wouldn't cover it.But they were willing to sell me a new axle at retail. I installed it myself.

I would e mail and call Randy Michler ( spelling?) at Crossroads and discuss it with him. If you can document that you had the axle replaced under warranty and it didn't correct the problem I wouldn't be surprized if he was willing to help. My frist thought when reading your post was that the spindle on the bad wheel was bent.But since your dealer replaced the axle and it is still wearing the same, I suspect there is an alignment problem withhow the springs are mounted. I say that because the spring pad determines where the axle is positioned. The axle mounts to a pin on the spring. It can't go anywhere else. Aligning the axle by bending it may be a fix, but seems to me your dealer should have figured that out before they decided it needed a new axle.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote