Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
New Camper

New 2016 CF305RS

My wife and I upgraded from a Cruiser Aire to a 2016 CF305RS this past summer. We are quite happy with this trailer. The outside kitchen, rear hitch, and ample storage accommodations both in the inside kitchen and the bedroom are the main reasons we upgraded. We noted a couple of minor problems that were addressed by the local dealer under warranty. My only current issue with this new 5th wheel is that the hitch on the trailer is mounted with very little down-slope from where it attaches to the trailer to the front where it attaches to the hitch in the pickup. The result is that the rear "elbow" of the hitch, below where it is bolted to the trailer, is nearly level with the front of the hitch on the trailer. Thus, I cannot make very tight turns with the 5th wheel trailer as the "elbow" portion will swing around and contact the side of the pickup box, limiting my turn angle. I have tried raising the hitch ball on my Andersen Hitch in the pickup, but it still has insufficient clearance to be comfortable on a tighter turn with the trailer. My dealer response to this issue is "it is what it is", so I am having to deal with this issue on my own. I will be investigating other pickup 5th wheel receivers that may allow a taller hitch point in the pickup.
Edge w/ Attitude performance chip
ASE intake system, Banks cat-back exhaust
Hansen Hitch attached to "roll-over" goose neck ball in pickup
A&K Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hitch Issue Plus

I have a F250 short bed, I purchased a 16K Pullrite sliding hitch. I have tested it out, I can do as tight of a turn as my truck allows. Just like the video.

SuperGlide 16K | PullRite Hitches

Hope this gets you out of your delema.

On another note, check your outdoor kitchen gas shock brackets, mine were installed about 1 1/2 inches too high resulting in the gas shock bending the bracket and then tore the bracket off the door it's self. I had to remove the bracket from the door frame, get it straightened, and then moved it down 1 1/2 inches. The Gas Shock was bottoming out. My dealer suggested fix was to drill holes and put bolts thru my gelcote- NO DANG WAY..So I looked the problem over for 2 hours and finally figured it out.

Good Luck.. we still think we did a good purchase.
Jeffrey
56Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

You should be able to lower the pin box on the mounting plates which would effectively raise the trailer. A picture of the pin box would help clarify.
E Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
New Camper

5th wheel hitch height

Jeff,

Thank you for the message and link to the automatic sliding hitch. I was not aware that the "auto" versions even existed. Impressive. As my pickup is long box, I don't have need of the sliding style hitch. My issue is the height of the hitch from the floor of pickup box, given the nearly level pin box mounted on the new CF305RS trailer. I also contacted Andersen Hitch and they provided a couple of suggestions (pad under their platform hitch with hole cut for the goose neck ball).

The hitch I currently have is the Goose Neck version of the the "Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch"

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

I have a roll-over goose neck ball mounted in my truck bed such that with the 5th wheel hitch removed and the goose neck ball in the down position, I have a completely flat floor in the pickup with no rails. I do like this setup (pickup also used for snowmobile, motorcycles, etc), so will try the pad suggestion from Andersen Hitch before scrapping this equipment and starting over. However, my trailer is now in covered storage, and we are currently getting a snow storm here in Idaho, so likely will not be making new attempts with the 5th wheel hitch until spring (whenever that arrives here)

Thank you for the warning/suggestion on the gas shocks for the outside kitchen. In my earlier use/opening of the door, I did not note any problem with the shock mount. Maybe Cross Roads recognized the problem in the earlier year models and corrected for my 2016. Would like to think so. Anyway, will not be able to investigate until spring, as there is not room to open the door where it is in winter storage, and I am not inclined to pull it out in the snow. Will check in the spring. Again, thanks for the warning!
Alan
Old 11-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
New Camper

5th wheel hitch height

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Schultz View Post
You should be able to lower the pin box on the mounting plates which would effectively raise the trailer. A picture of the pin box would help clarify.
I actually did lower the pin box on the mounting plates, and as you indicate this does raise the trailer. However, my issue is the rear of the pin box contacting the pickup box when turning, so the change to the height of the pin box mount on the trailer does not make any difference to the issue. My issue is the nearly level pin box (almost no down slope from the mounting plate end to the front where it attaches to the pickup hitch). I am investigating ways to safely raise the height of the hitch in the pickup (height above the pickup bed). I currently have a goose neck style Andersen "ultimate 5th wheel hitch". There is limited adjustment on the height of the ball, but I may try placing a pad under the hitch to raise it a bit.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

If I am successful in finding a way to do this, I may then have to raise the pin box, to keep the trailer close to level when towing. Alternately, I may have to see if a different pin box would have the needed slope downward to the pickup.

I originally posted in reply to a person wanting to hear from others that have the CF305RS model trailer, before he purchased. Forum administration decided to start a new post. I wanted to alert a prospective owner to this issue, as I did not note the problem until I had accepted ownership, and now it is my problem to solve.