Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We were just day dreaming about maybe looking at a rear kitchen unit some day and discovered Crossroads does not offer one (Patriot). Like most people we opted for the rear living because of dreams of a fantastic view out the back of an ocean, rolling hills, mountains, etc. In reality we find a fantastic view of a dumpster, a fence, a railroad, and most often the back of another camper enjoying the same view.
Our current unit has no view of the street side so we can't even tell if there is a camper next to us. We have had a rear kitchen in the past and it offers a large food preparation area and a good view of both sides. I suppose Crossroads marketing has determined the demand for a Rear kitchen just isn't there. We definitely like the Crosroads products and the support so we would like to stay with them....as long as they continue with the all aluminum structure. I'm just curious if any others have any interest in a rear kitchen unit

Edited by: calliopeguy

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We really liked our old Cruiser 29RK and like the rear kitchen floor plan but for us to consider another one it would have to have 3 slide outs. The Kingston line had a decent triple slide rear kitchen floor plan.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yup, that is exactly why we have the 29RK.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I think they still have updating to do on the website as they only have one Cruiser bunk floorplan, a rather small version, and I can't imagine that's the best they have....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have a really unique floor plan, I have a big window arcross the back and that is where the dining room table is, the table is level with the bottom of the window we get a nice view going toward the front of the camper next is the kitchen, we have an island and alot of counter space, it's one reason we picked this floor plan, I also have another big window on the door side, its in the living room slide, the other living room slide has the sofa, we have had a few units with a rear kitchen and we were always happy with them, my wife wants a kitchen big enough to use when we entertain or the kids come, my first 5th wheel was a 27RL, liked the unit, used it 4 times and sold it, wasn't enough room for a taoster and a coffee pot, I do agree with you the view from the back is usually not what you see in the brochure, and I would buy another rear kitchen without hesitation....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Why not look for a used 29RK? Awesome floorplan, we love ours!

Sin City

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins

2005 Cruiser 29RK
Vots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

You are just not in the right campgrounds Our local campground, we have 3-favorite sights that we have a nice lake view to enjoy our RL. Now on the OTHER hand, when we stay at KOA's during our longer trips, then like you, we often have a wonderful view of the fence, camper behind us, interstate, etc....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I've got a 2010 29RK that I've used for 3 years and feel it is a great design. I can't figure out why Crossroads dropped this floorplan as I saw a lot of these prior to buying one, and there have been many posts on this forum over the last few years from satisfied rear kitchen owners. I'm sure the RL outsold it but I would still feel the RK would have it's place in the lineup. Were I to buy a new trailer I probably would have to defect from Crossroads to find a suitable RK.

I agree on the benefit of the window on the side but it's amazing how most folks want the rear window. It all depends on the campsite as to which one is best but overall I've found the side window accommodates most sites best.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

i agree with gossamar
i can't say much for the view we have now, an old fleetwood TT out the window. but a few days ago at a koa, there were sort of like tiered levels of camping and we were half way up with a mountain view... if we chose another site we could have had a lake view. that was in nova scotia. there is a park we were at in northern ontario and we enjoyed our morning coffee with lake nipissing in the window.... thats just 2 of the many places we have found.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We had one camper with a rear kitchen - never, never again!! The back of the trailer gets the worst of the movement on the road. We broke dishware, broke appliances, you name it. Maybe if you like to mix some food products while traveling but even after adding the E-Flex suspension we regretted a rear kitchen. Crossroads dropped the rear kitchen for a real good reason.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Site Team

There is a lot of pros--and cons for the rear kitchen. We have it in ours and we get along real good with it. After we learned how to pack things back there and set it up, we don't have any problems, or any trouble with breaking.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Yeah, Iagree. Whenwe got the 2008 ST26RKwe really liked the layout. Our first trip was a disaster with kitchen doors and drawers all hanging open and stuff everywhere. The microwave was beat up. The TV was off the back wall. The DVD was on the floor. Glassware was trashed.
We added the EquiFlex suspension, strapped down the TV and DVD and packed a lot of dishware in foam and all was OK. I traded the camper last year at Camping World in Akron, OH, partly because we werejust tired of all the extra packing.I saw it later for sale on the Camping World website in Houghten Lake, MI. I could always tell it was mine by the extra straps, etc in the kitchen views.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

It took a while to learn how ...and where..to pack things and then all was good. Again, as I stated earlier, the rear window thing offers a rare opportunity for a good view. You are much more likely to get an extremely good view of your neighbor behind you enjoying his view of you. Still wish Crossroads would offer a rear kitchen model

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

We've recently returned from a three week vacation doing the Lake Superior Circle Tour. Two campsites offered extraordinary views of the lake. We had the same experience last year when touring the Gaspe Peninsula. Even though it's not the "norm" for campsites to offer this kind of view from our rear window....it's stunning and reminds us why we wanted this feature when it does

Edited by: orchid_57

Aline, David and our Golden (Jackson)

2011 Crossroads Cruiser 30SKP

2007 Chev Silverado Duramax Diesel

orchid_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We have heard this same thing from many over the years. Makessense to me!!jb
Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #16
hhh
Seasonal Camper

IMHO RK and similar models that eliminate the large rear windows just seem too dark and small. I like being able to have all the light and open feeling the large rear windows give.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

HHH I totally agree with you. The extra light and and feeling of space that the rear window provides is another plus along with the views when lucky enough to have one. Slowly but surely we are noticing that campgrounds are beginning to offer up some of their better sites to larger RV's.

We aren't fans of those parks where the units are situated right next to each other without even a hint of privacy.

Aline, David and our Golden (Jackson)

2011 Crossroads Cruiser 30SKP

2007 Chev Silverado Duramax Diesel

orchid_57 is offline   Reply With Quote