Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
New Camper

Has anyone had a problem with the bed in the 2011 cruiser 305 sk patriot pulling away from the wall. 3 screws ripped right out of the wall when I tried to lower the bed after storage.
Looking forward to your advice.
genes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Same thing happen to me,Whole lenght of board pulled away from wall,but i was raising the bed,I brought mine to the service dept in Indiana & they reinforced it better then it was before.No problem since.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yes I too had a problem with our bed not only pulling loose from the wall but that strip sunk in the middle before pulling loose from the side boards only two screws and 20 staples in the end of the crossbrace.. Upon removing the unit from the rv I found that the whole bed was not supported the full length only by the hinge & the maybe 1/2 in plywood deck! The plywood was curling up on the edgesbecause of the load on it.

At this time I was not in a position to take it down to Randy at crossroads so I removed it last weekend and am in the process of rebuilding it or "building" it the right way.

I made a new wall mounting board out of a piece of 2/4 instead of the I by stock it had & construction adhesived it to the wall with 8 staggered screws opposed to only the2 that were pulled out.

I them took the end piece out ot the flat sided 2x4s that were fastened to the back of the plywood decking as it was badly warped also this was at the head end.

Most of us know that 2x4s on their side have very little intregrety. I cut the side & center flat rails down to accomadate a full 2x4 accross in the place of the warped I x stock. I glued and screwed it together after clamping a 2x6 accross it to flatten it out.

After that I went in and installed a 2x4 across the bed box at 26 inches down from headboardfor the bed to rest on.

The two 2x4s on end that should have served two purposes, the shock mount and a stop for the bed to rest on,but they were 49 inches between them and the bed supports were 48 in on the outside so they fell between thus no support from the hinge to the foot wall except the thin plywood. I added 2 2x4 blocks to theses supports so the bed can rest on these also. Even without the hinge to attach it to the wall I can dance on it and I am 230 lbs so it will work well!

I also straightened the piano hinge and by doing so realized it was not much more than gum wrapper quality so I ordered a new 3in 0.60 thick at 48 in long that comes tomorrow much more substantial.

I have had so many things with this unit in the way of very poor quality & craftmanship that I am totally blown away.

I had followed this division since it's inception & told the wife that is the next unit we will buy & we did. We had a Paradise Point before this unit..

I can't truly say I am sorry to have purchased itnow because of Randy Mischler& his excellent team we have been made whole . I do not understand why a service dept team needs to rebuild a new unit after delivery? We do love it now but such a long trip to get here is discouraging at the least. I truly don't believe I can reccommend this make to an interested party because of the way ours was built..This is too bad as we have 8 years of fun with our units even with the problems! I have talked to many Cruiser owners who have not had these problems or are not very observant but when you take delivery and immediately go on a 4 month stay in it you really test & see things.

These are simply my opinions and yes we had major bed frame problems too. JMHO Jb
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Sorry Ours is a 325 ck unit But same problem.Jb
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

You folks are talking about the head of the bed pulling away from the slide wall? Correct?

Edited by: Boomer

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
New Camper

yes the three screws pull right of the wall, very poor construction.....
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks - damn now another thing to inspect.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
OK now I have to wonder if I made a big mistake buying the new CT29RLX because I'm seeing others having things go bad on there 5 ers ? Are they all made in the same factory or aresome better then others I do know THOR Industries is a big outfit . I don't know ? do other brands have the beds falling off and axles braking away ? I just traded a 2012 Roamer by Open Range off to get the Cruiser because we really liked the CT29 RLX and I do know the Open Range is one of the better built units but sense we don't use our trailers a lot we thought it would do fine for us BUT now I wondering . I would hate to know our new CT29RLX came out of the same plant as the 305 SK BECAUSE we really love this unit . PLEASE someone tell me some GOOD news

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I think every company has problem units. We are on our second 30sk 5'er. and have only had one problem, a bad actuator on the kitchen slide. Dealer and Crossroads quickly repaired it. Not worried at all about ours.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We had the same type of problems with our bed. We even had issues with the bed almost collapsing. I just bought some lumber, some screws and spent a couple hours re-building to meet MY standards.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

I agree, we shouldn’t have to do these types of things�..but EVERONE has to.

Welcome to RV ownership.

Crossroads still builds the best product out there and the customer service is the best in the industry. Even with the things I have had to repair�.I’m still 100% happy with my Cruiser

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I do agree with this post, even though I have had more than my share of bad workmanship hit me, I still know too many folks such as Dalemac &amp; others that didn't so I think we can now go on as if nothing ever happened. I did wonder for a while if I could reccommend the brand to any one. But hope is eternal so I a hoping! As I said yesterday the great service dept made us whole again.. Enjoy your rig as you learn to love it as the rest of us have...Jb
Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

timscruiser,The bed thing is no big deal,It was made cheap,I can live with cheap,LOL,Easy enough to correct.

By the way when it's time for another rv CrossRoads would be one of my choices again.Edited by: campsurveyor
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
New Camper

correct...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

YES!
Wouldn't you think that the installer could tell that he missed the stud?
This RV construction is a strange business.
After a few hours of modification, this will never happen again. I also took some time to put down some of that aluminum bubble insulation and beef up the slide mechanism cover.

It seems that if the hinge were further from the outside wall AND/OR the mattress shorter this pressure against the wall (as the bed is lifted) could be avoided. From now on we will be pulling the mattress foot-ward before lifting the bed.
KD

Edited by: Kamper Dave
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Apparently you have not been on a factory tour. They run as it is a numbers game for them so many a day &amp; they can go home. They are well paid 25.00 an hour avg butttt. My complaint is with the inspection stations or lack thereof. It they do have them they should be fired or at least taught what to do properly, &amp; that would weed out the sluggards who are doing their jobs so terribly. So many things on our unit were done so improperly it was almost a laughing matter but not really..

There is a member of this forum who I gave a guided tour of our unit before it went back to the factory for fixin . At the time I had 29 items on the list &amp; it grew slightly after then untill It got fixed. But it is all gone for now so as said their customer service is by far the best you could ever wish to have.JMHO jb
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

John,
If we got about 20 Rver's together and headed down toward the factory to button hole a sluggard; I'd bet there would be changes.

Somehow in this kinder, gentler time; we would probably be the bad guys.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

So it is great that there is awesome after sales service on Crossroads, but just how much does it is it costing them to do all these repairs after the fact. Especially if they have to pick up units and then return themlater.

Wouild you not think it would be smarter and be better for the bottom line to just slow down a bit and build it right the first time rather than having all the rework ?

Can they continue to sustain this without having to cut quality and materials further ?

I'm just askiing ? I haven't even took possession of my new CF345RF yet so I'm really hoping I don't have to send it back to the factory for repairs ! Our season is short enough up here in Ontario Canada without losing any....

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

timscruiser,we have the same unit only mine is an OLD 2011 ,love this trailer.Like others said just pull the mattress away from the wall so it doen't leverage against the wall.

Don't give up these are GREAT trailers.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

They leave the mistakes for your dealer to fix.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
Thanks much for all your input guys and I have learned much about my Cruiser on the forum BOTH good and bad LOL . We got ours Dec.19 th and have only spent one night camping close to the dealer for a shake down and the next day I took it back because the shower floor and back wall felt very spongy and week. We also had a upper cabinet door broken at the seam they beefed upthe shower but said they would have to order another door but that I fixed myself . Now thanks to the forum I know to check the wheels &amp; axles as well as the bed frame.

what should I look for next ?? We love ALL the cabinets and thats part of whywe got this unit BUT I'm wondering if thats going to have us loading it up on stuff we really don't need to carry ? LOL

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

&lt;br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote