Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here as I am a 1st time 5th Wheel Cruiser owner. We made our first voyage of the season and were very excited to finally get out for our first trip with the new Cruiser.

With the perfect weather over the weekend. After our set up, it was discovered that the shore power wasn't switching over. I double checked everything, tried 15 amp and 30 amp hook up. We quickly found out the the trailer was only using battery power. The dam electric power just wouldn't work.

I ended up boosting battery from my truck. We stuck it out for the nite and we left disappointed and took the trailer back to the dealer.

This surely won't discourage us from this new trailer, its what we wanted and I know our Dealer will solve this issue this week so we can get back out this coming weekend for the long weekend. (Ontatrio Canada Long Weekend)
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the camping world!
Hopefully it will be something simple. I would assume you confirmed the campground site plug was working and you checked your breaker.
We always hook up our camper the night before a trip to make sure everything is working.
Save this site to your smartphone. The next time you get out and run into something, you can post a question or ask for help.
I have done that before...
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hey Captain,

Thanks for the phone suggestion.

At first I check the site post and all breakers were on, tested each one to. Checked all my breakers on the panel and all were on. The Trailer Battery Indicator was showing that battery power was also being used quickly and it wasn't long before the battery was drained.

Saturday morning we woke up and I checked everything again in the day light. Results were the same. I went to the park office and informed them what was going on and told them what I wanted to do. I went to a total of 3 different posts in 3 different locations in the park and the results were the same. I even disconnected the battery when i did a hook up and still nothing. This ended our weekend short and I took the Cruiser back to the dealer.

I hope to hear something today.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like this may have slipped past their delivery inspection or a wire is loose.
Also, make sure they gave you a deep cycle battery. Our dealer gave us a starter battery and it took us 3 -4 trips to figure why we were having poor battery performance. (It would run down quick)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Buy aKill</span> A Watt and a Polarity Tester. I use my Kill A

Watt to monitor the voltage while I am connected to shore power. It may

save your air conditioner some day. </span></span>

I have a 110 to rv adaptor

that I plug into the campground post. I check the polarity with the</span>Polarity

Testerand the voltage with my Kill a WATT before I plug in my trailer.</span></span>

The adaptor you will need

depends if you have a 30 amp or 50 amp service on the trailer.</span></span>

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

What model Kill A Watt and Polarity tester?

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY
What model Kill A Watt and Polarity tester?

There are many different models of both. Nothing special for this application. I would watch for the specials that Kill A Watt has from time to time. Do a search on Woodalls Open Roads Forum and their may be a special that is still current. As for the polarity tester do a search on Amazon and read the reviews and go from there. The one I have is over 30 years old so I can not make a good recommendation.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Guessing it is likely fuses on your converter, the dealer will fill you in but you might want to ask where it is and the fuse sizes so you can carry extra's. I've seen crap power blow them or if someone hooks the battery up backwards.

You might also want to carry a small 12 battery charger (they make them real small now) then if yourconverter every goes for a crap you can hook up the battery charger to your battery and get yourself through the weekend or vacation while waiting on parts or finding a new converter. I ran on a battery charger for a month one year waiting for the new one that was on back order..

Good luck....!

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

had the same thing happen with different make of trailer,found the ground wire screw in the converter was never tightened and the ground wire lost contact.
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster

Guessing it is likely fuses on your converter, the dealer will fill you in but you might want to ask where it is and the fuse sizes so you can carry extra's. I've seen crap power blow them or if someone hooks the battery up backwards.

You might also want to carry a small 12 battery charger (they make them real small now) then if yourconverter every goes for a crap you can hook up the battery charger to your battery and get yourself through the weekend or vacation while waiting on parts or finding a new converter. I ran on a battery charger for a month one year waiting for the new one that was on back order..

Good luck....!

Thats exactley what I was gonna do, but I forgot it at home. I got a new charger the other week. I'll make sure to put it in the cave. I guess I also better stock up on fuses.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Same sort of thing happened with me while wintering in Gulf Shores Alabama. It was a burned up neutral wire in the junction box where the outside and inside wires are connected together with wire nuts.
I have heard of someone else with a Cruiser that had the same failure.

I fixed it myself in about two hours. Had to remove the outside shower to get access.
They should be putting electrical tape over the wire nuts.
It could have burned the camper up!

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Speedster,
I purchased one of those battery booster rigs...a Stanley, with a USB port, a 12 Volt port, an air compressor that goes to 120 pounds, and of course 1,000 cold amp peak cranking power for jump starting. I purchased it because prior to my trip this week I checked the tires the night before the trip when they were cold...and the 2 right side tires we each down 2 pounds...so I thought to myself 'what do I do if this happens on the road'. I mean, I'm not sure how close to an air compressor at a gas station you can get with a TT behind you....so I just thought this was the best $80 I've spent so far...until the next time that is. Better safe than sorry

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I just got the good news i've been waiting for. The Dealer found the problem and it's being fixed and we will have the trailer back tomorrow, just in time for the long weekend.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Was it a loose wire?
Glad to hear they are taking care of it.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

The Lady on the phone was a bit confusing when telling me. It sounds like it was the Converter. I'll talk directly to the guys in the shop tomorrow when I pick it up.....those are the ones that know.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Good Deal
Better to work out the kinks on the weekend trip than have a problem on a big trip
Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Ok here is what they found. The electrical system is all fine, nothing was wrong. They did find wrong fuses were used on the panel and most were even in the wrong spot. No wonder there were problems. It appears this was the way it left the Crossroads Factory. At least nothing was damaged.

So we are all set to go for the weekend. Very good indeed.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Have fun
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Glad to hear you got it resolved. On our trip last week we used the outdoor kitchen for the first time and discovered the outside fridge does not work!

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi

1976 Triumph Spitfire

1959 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote