Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

PSI rating on rims of Cruiser Aire

Although we have had fair success with the tires that came on our 27RL Cruiser Aire, they are 3 years old and I am thinking about getting new tires. The ones on it are D load and call for 65 psi. I am considering going to E load. The problem is, even though rims are supposed to have it stamped somewhere on them, I cannot find the rating for my rims. I took one to the tire shop and they broke it down. We looked on it and in it. Lots of stamps on it but nothing that said what the psi rating was for it. I saw another Cruiser owner who said theirs had an 80 psi rating stamped on it. Does anyone know if all of the rims Crossroads uses on the Cruiser/Cruiser Aire are suitable for load E tires? Or, if not, any suggestions as to where to find that info? Thanks

What ways shall I wish I had taken when I am leaving this world? - William Law

Rhizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

So run the E rated tires at 65 psi, if the Ds were ok as far as weight at 65 so will the Es.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply travelin texan. There are a couple of reasons I am reluctant to do that. One is that it causes improper wear to run tires underinflated. And everything I have ever read anywhere says that ST tires need to be run at maximum inflation, because to do otherwise creates excessive heat in the tire, which is the main cause of tire failure. I am not that experienced with it, but I do know that the one tire failure I have ever had came on a scorching Texas day when I was probably pushing things speedwise. The heat buildup killed a tire. So I am pretty careful about things that can cause heat failure. I really would like to just find out what the rims are rated for.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer tires should always be inflated to the maximum psi as indicated on the tire. Trailer tires are made with a thicker sidewall and if they are under inflated they would generate excessive heat and cause the tire to fail.
If you wanted to go to load range E I would also replace the rims if you cannot find the load range on the rims.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I called my rim manufacturer the last time this was brought up. I was told the rims weakest point would be the fill valve. It would be the weakest point. I left it at that and just kept the same load rating.
Just my two cents worth
Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I made the dealer install upgraded tires before I paid him for the unit. I talked to a very knowledgeable fellow at a tire place on the internet. I did have to replace rims but it was only about $1100.00 delivered installed on the rim and now I don't worry about tires. When you think about it, tires are the weakest link in the running gear. You can't have too much rubber under you IMHO. He (and a good deal of research) convinced me to go with LT tires rather than trailer tires. My experience is that unless you go with 125 psi Goodyears or other industrial ST tires, trailer tires are crap, stiff sidewalls or not. A lot of people disagree but I have thousands of worry free miles on my LT tires. If money is tight, you might consider D LT tires for your existing rims since they have a higher safety margin to protect vehicle passengers but I think you would be better off upgrading a letter, regardless of the tire type. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!
Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I want to thank those of you who took time to share an answer. There is just so much info out there and so much of it is wrong. I had even emailed Etrailer and asked and the reply said that rims don't have psi ratings, only the valve stems are rated. I am pretty sure that is not correct, because not only is it my understanding that they have a rating, but that current law requires that the rating be stamped on the rim somewhere. First time I have been disappointed in a reply from them. Anyway, not positive what I will do yet. I am leaning toward changing to 16" rims and LT's (another huge controversy) but no matter what, I am going to get rims with ratings on them and move up to at least an E load. And as mark5w suggested, always run whatever I buy at the max. psi.
Thanks again to all of you.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoo View Post
Anyway, not positive what I will do yet. I am leaning toward changing to 16" rims and LT's (another huge controversy) but no matter what, I am going to get rims with ratings on them and move up to at least an E load. And as mark5w suggested, always run whatever I buy at the max. psi.
Thanks again to all of you.
I went to 16 in. rims and LT225/75R16E tires. Mainly I did this to gain just a little more height on the 5er. It was running a little nose high when I got my Ford.
My rig isn't real heavy so I don't run 8o psi in the tires like is stated on the sidewall. I run 65 psi and I have since they were new. That was 5 years ago. They don't show any signs of that hurting. I talked with the Goodyear dealer about it when I purchased the tires. He said with the load they would be carrying, 64 to 65 psi would be plenty.
Just remember, that 80 psi they stamp on the sidewall is for carrying the max load the tire is rated for.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:52 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

So, lots of times we are (or at least I am) guilty of asking advice and then not posting the grande finale. While saying thanks, I wanted to let you know what I decided. Because of wheel well limitations, I have to stay with 225/75 pretty much (have to stay under 30"). So I am going to switch to 16" rims and put either Michelin ribs, or Duravis tires on them in an E rating. I think I will have purchased about all the peace of mind that a person can have while towing (within the limitations of my trailer configuration). Thank you... to all of you.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoo View Post
I have to stay with 225/75 pretty much (have to stay under 30"). So I am going to switch to 16" rims and put either Michelin ribs, or Duravis tires on them in an E rating.
I have the Michelin XPS RIB LT225/75R16 on my Sunset Trail. They are right at 30" tall if I remember correctly. My 15" ST225/75R15 take-offs were about 28.5" tall.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote