Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
New Camper

I am new to this forum and have been directed here to ask the question of what to look for in a 2004 Cruiser. We are possible buying a used Cruiser and I wish to know what are the weak points from people who know from experience what the potential problem areas are. We have been camping extensively in a smaller 24 5r and look forward to longer times in a more comfortable unit.
Diesel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum here Bob, Stand back and you will get a bunch of answers to your questions.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I've had no serious issues, but here are a few general things to check. 1) make sure the Dometic frig fix has been completed. 2) Check age and condition of the tires, make sure metal valve stems are being used. 3) Check leaf spring U-bolts and shackles. 4) Fill the fresh water tank and check the straps. 5) Inspect the roof especially all the caulking. Some of us had problems with the outriggers so check the weld where it attaches to the I beam and/or diagonal fractures in the outrigger. Outriggers on the side opposite the main slide are most suspect.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Last fall we purchased a 2004 cf25rs and one of the main things we looked for prior to purchase was ware & tear in general to determine if the unit was lived in exclusively. Also I got on the roof & crawled around & checked out the membrane & joints. I visually inspected everything possible & couldn't find anything wrong. The frig had previously been retro-fitted & nothing leaked. Everything worked well & nothing was in need of repair. After purchase, the first things we did was put in two 6-volt batteries & extended the bed frame to accommodate a longer mattress.

We have been very happy with our unit & plan on keeping it for a long time. Im very pleased with the Crossroads quality.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We own a CF27RL (2003 model) purchased new. Only issues have been bad axles, and the Dometic frig. issue. Both fixed at no charge.

Check the overall condition and tires. Enjoy.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Which model are you looking at?
Some had shocks as an option. Take a look underneath, there were a couple of issues with the shock mounts. 1) tearing out of the frame, 2) too close to the tires and rubbing on the tires.
Good luck, enjoy!!
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Check tire wear. Some bad axles got installed on many different brands causing the inside or outside tread to wear prematurely. An 04 may need tires anyway. The life expectancy of ST tires is probably less than the 6 years DOT claims. Tire pressure is of upmost importance, keep them at the recomended pressure stated on the tire.

There are two types of campers, those that leak and those that are going to! Use Proflex RV sealant around windows, lights and trim. Silicone will not stick to the fiberglass, waste of time. Try to remove old caulk if possible. Hair line cracks will seep water in eventually.

Use appropriate caulk for rubber roof areas. On my 06 the stop/turn lights were not properly cauked and leaked. I took them off and the wood inside was soaking wet. No damage yet but glad I found it. Again, Proflex RV sealant seems to be a superior product for RV's.

Cruisers seem to be a superior product for the money. We love our CF29CK
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We own a CF28CK, bought it new in Sep 04. The unit was almost a year old by the time we got it. A few items to check for that have been problem areas.

1st- Try and find out how many miles the unit has been towed. Anything over 5k miles should reveal whether or not the axles are bad.Certain Cruisers mfg'd between about Sep 03 and Mar 04 had serious axle problems that had to be changed out. Crossroads is aware of these units and they are serial number specific, from what I was advised.I was one in that group andboth axles were replacedunder warranty. We discovered the problem after returning home from a 2500 miles trip around TX and NM.

2nd - Certain models also had fresh water tank attachment issues. Those that found the problem were repaired under warranty. But - if the unit was not towed very far, the problem may still be there. In order to properly inspect the tank, the belly covering must be dropped down in the rear. This is a pretty good job, even if you're experienced.

3rd - The Dometic refrigerator had a recall that is a definite safety issue. It's not a big deal to to the service recall. You just need to make sure it was done. It has to do with a remote probability of propane gas catching on fire and causing severe or total damage.

4th - The converters have also given some folks problems. My first converter failed one month out of warranty. I replaced it with an upgraded model. The second converter failed about month later and took out my new battery with it. both the converter and battery was replaced under supplier warranty. We've had no problems since in that area.

Crossroads Customer Service should have any and all information on file at the factory.

None of these problems were the direct fault of Crossroads but were vendor/supplier defective equipment.

Our unit has been very good with low maintenance, after, all the above issues were corrected. # for # and $$ for $$, it was, and most likely still is, the best bang for the buck on the market.

If you're not an experienced RV/Travel Trailer/5tgh Wheel owner, I strongly suggest that you have a very reputable dealer service center, do a full inspection for you. In addition to allow you to observe what they are looking for.

Good luck, let me know if you need any more help.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
New Camper

Many thanks to all the replies on our upcoming "inspection" and purchase of the 28rl model. The quality of Crossroads is evident in a casual inspection but there are always little things that one needs to know enough to look for. Good advice from people who know as a result of being there and doing it. !!
Diesel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Great advice from the above. We have a 06 28RL. Only problem was the axle, but you know that within the first 1-2 years.

The best thing about the 28RL is that we can get into more spaces at State Parks....since it is under 30ft., but inside it is still really roomy. There wasn't enough counter space......so immediatelly, we purchased a fold down counter extender (which you have to keep down when going in and out the door)....but it solves the counter issue. We love ours, and we spend 3 months in Florida at State Parks in it each year. When we get back to Ohio in april, my husband literally has to "pry" me out of it.
ccsabathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbe & Diana
After purchase, the first things we did was put in two 6-volt batteries & extended the bed frame to accommodate a longer mattress.

I am curious as to how you extended the bed frame. Our 25rl has a "short" queen, and I would very much like to put a full length queen in there. Did you actually extend the wooden box on the floor, or did you just put in a longer piece of plywood to lay the matress on?

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

We have a 2005 29CK and have been fulltiming in it since May of 2005. We were one of the ones that had the water tank issue, it actually fell out on I-55 in Mississippi. When I called the factory they went into action. 15 minutes later they told me where to go and within 48 hours we had the new tank and we were on our way. Great service.

Other than that just normal maintenance in almost 4 1/2 years.

Cigar Mike

2004.5 2500 Dodge CTD

2005 Cruiser 29CK with all the options

mgratner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Where did you purchase the fold down counter? I will soon be getting a 2010 CF27RL and it, like yours, has a shortage of counter space.
Thanks,
NC Retiree
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I secured 5/8" plywood over the existing base. It created a 9-inch overhang at the foot of the bed. I rounded the corners and the california queen fits just perfect. Less area for walking/standing at foot of the bed but it was worth the space swap. Since the head of the bed slopes inward, there was no way I was going to fit on the old mattress.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbe & Diana
I secured 5/8" plywood over the existing base. It created a 9-inch overhang at the foot of the bed. I rounded the corners and the california queen fits just perfect. Less area for walking/standing at foot of the bed but it was worth the space swap. Since the head of the bed slopes inward, there was no way I was going to fit on the old mattress.

That's what I've been thinking of doing as well, I'm concerned about the loss of space around the foot of the bed. Not a lot of room thereto start with. Thanks for the info.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

my first crossroads product was an 04 27RL, not a bad unit, we had it less than a year, we sold it because of no room in the bedroom, hard to move around the bed, and my wife hated no kitchen counter space.......other than that a nice unit, if I remember right they all have short queen beds, if you make the bed bigger your going to have a real hard time moving in the bedroom, at that time crossroads had a foam piece that was covered like the mattress and you put it at the headboard under the pillows, it just made the bed longer, bad part was the mattress hung over the plywood board and it was a real pain to use, we let it go with the camper....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Fold Down Counter

We ordered out of a catalogue at RVW.(RV Wholesalers)...but I'm sure any accesories catalogue would carry it. Seems like it was in the $30 range. It is a spring loaded fold down....and as I mentioned, in the 26/28 RL you have to put it on the side of the cabinet (in front of the door)....but that's OK.....just have to keep it down, except when you are using it for the toaster, or coffee maker....or what ever. Just that little bit of extra makes a difference. I' check catalogues on line and see if I see it.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

counter top extension is official name. I googled it....and came up with several catalogues that stock it. I found it for $29 at Adventure RV.net.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

This may be late but back to the subject. Check the frame very carefully. Pay close attention to the areas around the spring shackles and the pin box. If the previous owner has towed it much off the payment or on rough secondary roads the lippert frames do not do well. Check for rock damage above the tires. A good indication of a lot of gravel road towing.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #20
New Camper

We purchased our 2010 CF27RL from RV Wholesalers in Lakeview, Ohio and picked it up in mid_September. We spent 2 weeks in it driving through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas on our way back to Louisiana and enjoyed every minute of it. It's true about limited counter space, but we do most of our cooking and cleaning outdoors so it has notpresented any problems. Only problem was cleaning off 2000 miles of bugs and tree sap from the front cap and roof, but I'll put up with those problems for as long as we can camp. Let us know what you think when you get your new camper.
walric0 is offline   Reply With Quote