Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Think of mounting an ADJUSTABLE RV HITCH on the back of the trailer. Curt Manufacturing Inc.

Model13702,GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 5,000 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 500 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT

or</span>
</span>
Model 13703,GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH:3500 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT &amp; 350 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.

Need to measure the distance between the frame to see if one will fit - will use to carry a bike rack or a platform to carry a 120 lb generator

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Bob -- I just bought a 2" receiver that bolts to the rear bumper, for our bikes, at CW. We carry two bikes, do you think that is sturdy enough? The rear bumper is welded to the frame.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT
Bob -- I just bought a 2" receiver that bolts to the rear bumper, for our bikes, at CW. We carry two bikes, do you think that is sturdy enough? The rear bumper is welded to the frame.

I wouldn't hang anything on the rear bumper of campers these days! Very thin, not welded completely.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Before you hang anything on the rear bumper, go to a welding shop and have them weld some gussetts on both sides of each bumper attachment point to the frame. This would make it much stronger. Like Bipeflier said, the stock bumper and attachment method is way to weak.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

It will void the Lippert frame warranty, if that is of any concern. You should probably at least call Lippert. When I planned to have Mor/ryde IS suspension installed on my '04 Cruiser, since it required modification to the frame, I got the OK in advance.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
</span>
I am looking at one that will bolt to the frame - not the bumper. Might look to upgrade the frame where it bolts to it.</span>

Edited by: NorskeNY

Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Bob, if you are concerned about your frame warranty (and with Lippert I would be) and you weld or drill a hole in the frame you will void it. I was going to do as you are talking about and bolt an adjustable receiver hitch to our trailer after we bought it and I called Lippert to ask about it. I was told ifI welded or drilled any holes in the frame for a hitchour frame warranty would be void. That also told me a lot about the frame if they felt 4 holes would weaken the frame that much to void the warranty. It is certainly your decision just letting you know what I was told when I called them and asked about it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I had bolted a receiver on our Paradise Point years ago and I use a bumper clamped 2 in on the Cruiser and have hauled our bikes many miles that way with No problems at all..Jb
Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

You don't have to worry about a warrenty on a Lippert frame, If they can find a way to get out of it bthey will.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit

You don't have to worry about a warrenty on a Lippert frame, If they can find a way to get out of it bthey will.

Is that based on experience?? I've had two frame issues, one on my '04 Cruiser and another on the '11 Cruiser. In hindsight, the 1st one probably wasn't a serious concern, but 2nd one was. And while I'd rather not have had the problems, I can say that CR and Lippert promptly took care of both issues w/o question.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

John B -- I had a 2007 Cruiser and a 1 1/4" receiver welded on the back bumper and carried two bikes and never had a problem. The only thing that has changed is now I have a 2013 Cruiser and a 2" receiver bolted to the back bumper. I can't see where I would have a problem. If anyone has had a problem with this set up please let me know.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Wonder if the frame warranty is included in the 2 year warranty.

I may wait for the warranty to expire before I add a hitch. The again the frame failure would have to be related to the "add on". I think there is more issues with the pin box then the rear of the trailer

Old 03-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

If your trailer came with theoriginal2 year warranty then the frame should have the same. Now I have heard that the new units that only have a 1 year warranty also have only a 1 year frame warranty as well. It would stand to reason if Crossroads could get you with only a 1 year trailer warranty instead of 2 years Lippert would try and do the same on the frame. It is all about cutting cost.

I would wait until after the warranty was up. If Lippert could find any excuse to void the frame warranty areceiver hitch bolted to the back would probably do it.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

When I called Lippert they told me if I touch the frame it would void the warreny. Not may would void it. I did it anyway. After the fact Lippert warrantyed my spring hangers because the tires were hitting the floor of the camper.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Ordered a Curt13703 adjustable hitch today (etrailer.com). It is the only one that is adjustable to fit between the frames. On mine the distance between the frames (box frames that the rear bumper is attached to) is 66.5 inches. The box frame is welded to the main frame.Edited by: NorskeNY

Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit

Is that based on experience?? I've had two frame issues, one on my '04 Cruiser and another on the '11 Cruiser. In hindsight, the 1st one probably wasn't a serious concern, but 2nd one was. And while I'd rather not have had the problems, I can say that CR and Lippert promptly took care of both issues w/o question.

I am 100 % with you couldn't have been treated any better. by both. Some people on here think they hear something and then post the same and it goes like fire ina wheatfield. It would be nice if everyone posted facts they can corroborate and all would be treated much fairer..Personal experienceon the subject counts the most not speculation.

we have heard all the rants and statements about lippert but not a whole lot of facts. I do know of a friend when we were going south that had a Landmark and the frame failed in a big way.. They took in and totally restuctured it almost a redesign and made him very whole. The problem was an inproper design by the unit manufacturer but they still fixed it..mho jb
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
John B -- I had a 2007 Cruiser and a 1 1/4" receiver welded on the back bumper and carried two bikes and never had a problem. The only thing that has changed is now I have a 2013 Cruiser and a 2" receiver bolted to the back bumper. I can't see where I would have a problem. If anyone has had a problem with this set up please let me know.

The only comment I have is everyone seems to think they are not the quality they were back then but what do I know? Just what I have heard several times in reference to this..JMHO jb
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

The statement I made about adding a hitch to our Paradise Pointe and what I was told by Lippert is fact.

Now I will say that when they made a fix/repair to Larry's 04 Cruiser they also sent the tech to our house to make the same fix on our 05 Cruiser at no charge to us. We lived closer at that time so the tech did not have far to travel from his house to ours.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

The Curt 13703 adjustable RV hitch came Friday. Pretty heavy duty unit and will add a bit of weight to the box that the rear bumper is welded to (100 lbs) - may have to beef up the area/box.</span>

Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Well I installed the hitch - will use to carry two bicycles for now. "Installed at my own risk".</span>

The hitch brackets are bolted to the box piece that the rear bumper is welded to. No impact on the main trailer frame.</span>

I had to cut off about 1 inch off the top of the hitch bracket so it would clear the lip and weld area. I used a saws-all with a metal blade for this metal to cut the bracket. Cut pretty easy.
Drilling took the longest - had to do in stages - 4 different bits to get the 1/2 inch hole that is needed for the bracket bolts.
The carriage bolts (2 inch) that come with the hitch are too long to fit into the box frame - purchased 1 1/2 inch ones to fit.
Old rear ground clearances - box frame to ground - 20 1/2 inches. New rear ground clearance - hitch to ground 12 3/4 inches.

Box frame. You can see why I had to cut 1 inch off top of hitch bracket so it would clear the lip and weld area. If I did not the bracket would not fit flush to the box frame. You can see how the box frame is welded to the trailer frame - welded on all sides.</span>

Bottle jacks to hold it in place. I did install the right bracket with one bolt before I put the hitch in place and set it on the bottle jacks. Takes 2 persones to get it in place - hitch weight is 92 lbs (so I lost some load capability of the trailer). The bottle jacks ensured that the hitch bracket was tight to the box frame and made it a 1 person job from then on.
If you are wondering - the lime colored piece of noodle covers the brackets for a cloths line rack. Would really hurt if one ran into one of them.

View of bolts bolting the bracket to the box frame:

Rear view

Amount of hitch extending past the bumper - instructions said it should be flush with the bumper but I wanted a little more room for the bike rack and bikes.

Edited by: NorskeNY