Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I have an 08 Cruiser 29RE, thought I would repack the wheel bearings. Took them apart and they had plenty of grease in them as I give them 15 pumps of grease when I got it home brand new. They now or at least mine double lip grease seals in them now, so I am no longer concerned about the bearings anymore. Will give them 3 or 4 pumps a year and should be good to go.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

So when are you going to come do mine? LOL

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I would probably forgo the 3-4 pumps and just plan on an annual or semi-annual wheel bearing / brake adjustment - this is mainly to check the brakes and make sure no water / moisture buildup is getting trapped inside the hub and causing rust or corrosion causing premature failure. Boat trailer axles are ususally subjected to alot of abuse from being sunk in water when launching etc.

Check x roads for the manufactures recommendations

just a suggestion - hate to see you waste time working on the whl bngs when you could be drinkin a beer admiring your trailer

Brian

1999 Ford Superduty F350 SRW short bed manual trans. Superglide auto slider (18K)

2009 Cruiser 5th 31QB
5mcgehees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I just bought an 06 CF29CK and while checking the brakes I found the EZ Lube axles to have caused a real problem with the brakes. It seems a substantial amount of grease had leaked through the grease seals and onto the brake actuator magnet. Only part of the magnet would contract the drum, the upper part was ridding in grease!!! After searching other forums and talking to technicans at a local dealership, I have decided that EZ Lube hubs are very dangerous if over greased. When you push the grease in until it comes back out the front like the instructions say, if the seals are not really new and good you will get grease inside the drums. Bearings need to be "hand packed" with just a little extra and NO MORE. Loading up the spindle cavity with a grease gun is going to cause problems. I thought the brakes on this trailer were not really that great because I had to turn my controller all the way up to get noticeable braking. After my inspection of all four wheels I now know why.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Make sure that you use hi temp wheel bearing grease and not the muilt purpose that we find in most grease guns. Been there and done the wrong grease and it does not stay with you.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Who wants to come and do my bearings while I watch and cheer you on????

07 Chevy Silverado Z71

07 Zinger 32QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/P1000558.jpg
thegreatcanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I will do better than that I will supply the Beer after the job is done
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
I will do better than that I will supply the Beer after the job is done
As usual Ya beat Me to it! But I'll furnish the Pizza too!

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I am not trying to start a big debate her but I wish someone would explain to me this passion with packing wheel bearings every year on a camper.

How many of those same people service the front wheel bearings on their tow vehicle? Those bearings are very similar in design and see more loads due to turning than the trailer will ever see.

I do believe in keeping things serviced (Dad instilled that at a very young age) but I also believe yearly service on a unit that may see from a few hundred to a few thousand miles a year is a waste of time, materials, and parts.

What am I missing?

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Well, I'm with you. Most people do not need to service them every year. I think the re-packing craze comes from a lack of owner knowledge about lubing the bearings with the easy-lube feature. A lot of people start pumping away and A) don't use the proper grade of grease and, B) blow the seal out spreading the said grease all over their brakes.....

I think most people could get away with every other year and a few pumps of the correct grease yearly. Of course, there are some who put thousands of miles yearly and indeed, those should be visually inspected.

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Just finished with my initial wheel bearing maintenance since this is an 06 and "new to me."

What I found on all the wheels was very surprising since this trailer has not been pulled much. All the magnets were covered with grease that leaked through the seal. When I pulled the right front (last one to do) I was shocked!!!The magnet and brake shoes where covered with grease!!! It looks like the seal was just hard rubber and lost it's ability to keep grease onthe inside.The previous owner must have really pumped the cavity full.

I read on some other forums that some guys say during the initial set up of their Prodigy Brake Controller they cannot get the wheels to "lock up" at 25 mph on dry pavement like the instructions say. Now I'm wondering how many folks are running around with their EZ Lube hubs pumped full with much of it on the magnet andshoes???? I think this is a serious issue. I urge everyone to pull their drums andinspect the magnet on the actuator arm. See if it is riddingin agreasy mess on thedrum. If so, your braking ability is substantially reduced!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Â*Thanks for the heads up. On the way home from the deep south I had to crank up the Prodigy considerably to get decent braking!Â*
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

You need to check your seals and brakes. Let us know on this forum what you find. I bet you will find a greasy mess inside!!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

We left it at the dealers for storage andservice includingwheelbearing service. We put on over 7000 miles this year. One set of bearings was changed under warranty during one of the service checks. Since the manual specifies once a year service for the wheels I will feel feel more secure on the next long haul.The dealer promised to phone me with regard to the brakes.
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote