Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

On our last camping trip of 2010, we tried to play a movie one night and I noticed the colors were all funny. I checked the connections on the back of my TV and even pulled out the Pummel Drive unit to check the connections there and they were all good. When we got back home, I tried 2-3 different component cables, but got the same results. I tried the TV in our house and it worked fine. It looks like to me that one of the component colors has gone out on the Pummel Drive.

I emailed Crossroads and they said our 5'er is now out of warranty, but they would be happy to sell me another Pummel Drive for $200 . I don't want to purchase a new Pummel Drive and have it go out too (let's face it, Pummel Drive isn't exactly a brand name). I noticed the new units have Jensen units in them, but Crossroads didn't give me a price on those.

Since finding a replacement unit to fit that opening is difficult, I'm considering a DIY mod which would allow me to use a home receiver and DVD player. I'm thinking of removing the door beneath the TV and removing the divider and installing a shelf. I could use the top of the shelf to hold the receiver and DVD player and then below the shelf for storage. I could also use the double door area above the TV, but that's a little high up.

How are everyone elses Pummel Drives holding up? Anyone on here done away with the stock stereo unit and replaced it?
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Mine failed first day, replaced at the factory when I stopped by with a Jensen. The unit is crap, the Jensen at least we reliable although DVD quality was just ok.

I would leave the unit and by-pass it. Plenty of good blueray/DVD players out there and they even have LCD/LED's with bluerays built in now.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I think I'm going to go ahead and modify the area underneath the TV so it has two shelves. The top shelf will have room for the receiver and the DVD player. The bottom shelf will probably have pull out storage baskets for varioius things. Maybe I can post some pics of the progress with the finished results.
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote