Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

RV Leaning

When I have my 2012 Crossroads Cruiser hooked to my truck, it leans to the left side. When I put the landing gear down on level ground with both front legs in the same number of holes on the legs, the left side will hit the ground while the right side is still about 2” off the ground. The left leg will push that side of the rv up and level it out. When both legs are in contact with the ground and the rv is leveled front to back, it will also be level side to side. I called Lippert about a solution but no real help. If anyone has had this same issue and found a solution, I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Bill
Old 11-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

How many slide outs on the left side?
Have you checked the suspension to make sure all is OK there? No broken spring leaves, etc.?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
When I have my 2012 Crossroads Cruiser hooked to my truck, it leans to the left side. When I put the landing gear down on level ground with both front legs in the same number of holes on the legs, the left side will hit the ground while the right side is still about 2” off the ground. The left leg will push that side of the rv up and level it out. When both legs are in contact with the ground and the rv is leveled front to back, it will also be level side to side. I called Lippert about a solution but no real help. If anyone has had this same issue and found a solution, I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Bill
I've also noticed the difference between the landing gear legs.
I don't concern myself with the number of holes in the legs. I just drop each leg so they are about the same length and press the "ext" button. As soon as either leg touches the ground I stop and check the other leg to make sure it is also touching the ground. If not a grab my 6"x 8" pre-cut blocks of plywood (1/8"/ 1/4"/ 1/2"/ 5/8" and 3/4" or any combination there of) and slip it under the leg not touching earth and raise the landing gear to clear the hitch.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

RV Leaning

My TT ZT260BH leans to the right. With the kitchen, cupboards and rear storage all on the right side I think it can only lean that way. Left side only has small storage under dining benches which when slide is in, doesn’t have much weight on that side.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

3 slides on the left and one big one on the right. The heavy stuff is on the left but I was wondering if the leaning is normal. A 2” difference seemed a bit much to me. Thanks, Bill
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I too tried putting the landing gear as you described with a different number of holes in each leg but then the brain would not be level when set up on level ground. Thanks, Bill
Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Hello.

Just a few questions. First I see your camper is a 2012 have you had it sense new or just get it? What I am getting at is did the leaning just start or has it always been there? Also you said when you drop the landing legs and they are in the same holes one is 2" off the ground. Next time measure from the frame to the ground on each side on a known level spot to see if one of the jacks is lower then the other.

I had a camper that had to have one side of the landing gear worked on and when they reinstalled it it was not level with the other side so I had to loosen the bolts on that side and move it . Not saying that is your problem but would not hurt to check. Also as Lloyd said check the springs on that side there could be a broken leaf or something.

Another thing but a long shot check to make sure the tires are all the same brand and size. If you bought it used who knows.

One last thing what is the model of your camper. It might help to get a look at your floorplan My 29ck has 3 slides - 2 on the left and the kitchen on the right but I set pretty level.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave View Post
I've also noticed the difference between the landing gear legs.
I don't concern myself with the number of holes in the legs. I just drop each leg so they are about the same length and press the "ext" button. As soon as either leg touches the ground I stop and check the other leg to make sure it is also touching the ground. If not a grab my 6"x 8" pre-cut blocks of plywood (1/8"/ 1/4"/ 1/2"/ 5/8" and 3/4" or any combination there of) and slip it under the leg not touching earth and raise the landing gear to clear the hitch.

I pretty much follow the way Dave has described it.
With one exception. I replaced the foot on the right front jack with an adjustable one. No more carrying different size pieces of wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-17-...9JG7EGWSHQG87F
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Site Team

I also do the same with my landing gear but I have some cheap cutting boards from Walmart that are plastic/nylon. They are about 8 x 11 I guess and less then 1/4" thick. Just pull the snaps drop the legs and raise till one snaps in the shim the other side. And when the boards get wet they don't come apart over time. I think they were .99 each. Works for me.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thank you all foryour input. Here is what I came up with:

Frame to ground
Left front - 24 5/8”
Right front - 25 3/4”
Difference of 1 1/8”

Left rear - 22”
Right rear - 23”
Difference of 1”

Front jacks to ground
Left front - 16 7/8”
Right front - 17 5/8”
Difference of 3/4”

Spring plate to ground
Left front - 18 1/4”
Right front - 18 5/8”
Difference of 3/8”

Left rear - 18 1/4”
Right rear - 18 5/8 “
Difference of 3/8”

I guess it is not as bad I I thought. I am just anal about these kind of things. I am a woodworker and deal in tolerances of 1/32”. I’m sure this is not the case when they build an RV.

Thanks to all!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
Site Team

For something that has been bouncing around for the last 6 years that probably is not to bad.

I would not worry to much about the number of holes matching. Just run the landing gear down till you want it then drop the legs. If you have the auto pins - mine are called Snaps - just continue till they snap in. If one leg snaps first then shim or get a adjustable foot pad to even them out so the camper raises equally.

If you have to use blocks to level side to side the legs wont match anyways.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
For something that has been bouncing around for the last 6 years that probably is not to bad.

I would not worry to much about the number of holes matching. Just run the landing gear down till you want it then drop the legs. If you have the auto pins - mine are called Snaps - just continue till they snap in. If one leg snaps first then shim or get a adjustable foot pad to even them out so the camper raises equally.

If you have to use blocks to level side to side the legs wont match anyways.
True dat!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Redfish,
Yeah, I think they all lean to one side or another. Mine to the left where the kitchen and bedroom slides are at.

1/32" tolerance, eh? That is 0.031 inch. Try being a machinist - 0.001 to 0.0001 inch tolerances at times. I am a model maker and things can get a little close there too. That is our mentality

Just remember. Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with an axe. That should get you close enough

Happy camping.

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
myoungcc is offline   Reply With Quote