Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sahara

Loneoak: how do you like your Sahara? I'm getting one next week (2013 cf310re) so I'd be interested in your experiences if you'd care to share.
Thanks, Eric
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have a love-hate relationship with this trailer.

This is what we love:

- The floor plan suits us perfectly. The hall closet is the perfect place for our cat's litter box. The island in the kitchen means no one gets "trapped", which is great for traffic flow. The wide staircase means we can both sit and put our shoes on at the same time. It also means the entry area is not crowded when you come in. The bathroom has everything together - shower, sink and toilet. I hate it when the bathroom is split up. The bathroom has doors to the hall and the bedroom, again great for traffic flow. The spacious interior is big enough for several friends.

- There is plenty of storage space for all our stuff.

- The overall appearance is nice - it is sleek looking and a nice colour.

- It tows easily. Even with our previous truck which was under-powered, it still towed nicely.

- The large tanks mean we can go longer without dumping.

Here is what we hate:

- The overall quality of the unit is lacking. It is possible we got a lemon. Most trailers are not well built these days, but I think ours is a bit worse. The bedroom slide was not properly sealed in the factory and it was eventually rebuilt. The roof got holes in it and had to be replaced. The material covering the bottom (belly) was not installed properly and started to come down. We had ongoing problems with the trim around the kitchen slide - it kept coming loose. The kitchen slide had a problem with teeth coming off. There are too many issues to mention. It's been back to the factory three times. Lucky for us, most of the issues were covered under warranty.

- The omni-directional antenna does not pick up stations as well as the older type of antenna.

If I were you, I would check the entire unit out very carefully. Check it all over for any signs of de-lamination (caused by water intrusion). This can be an expensive fix.

We would have gotten rid of it a while ago if we didn't like the trailer so much. The livability of it is great. We take it to Florida every winter and live in it for 3 - 4 months. We also go on long trips. We probably spend half our time in it.

The trailer is pretty long (34 feet), which means parking can be an issue sometimes, and some campsites are too small. But it is also long enough to be spacious for extended use, so it's a compromise. I don't think we would own one this size if we didn't spend the whole winter in it in Florida.

We just got back from a 48 day trip to Alaska (from Eastern Ontario). The only damage to the trailer was a crack running from the bottom of the bedroom slide opening to the top of the hot water tank opening. We have been told this should be easy to repair. Other than that, she performed well.

We have had this trailer to the U.S. Southwest, to Alaska, to Florida three times, to Indiana twice, to PEI once, and on a number of shorter trips as well. So she has seen a few miles.

A lot of the time, the decision to buy a particular trailer comes down to floor plan and the owners’ individual needs and lifestyle, after cost and weight have been considered. This unit suits our needs and lifestyle.

One more thing – we have had some water intrusion and we will need to have it repaired. The dealer (not the one we bought from) said that the caulking was the hard kind, and we should have the more flexible stuff. The stuff was from the factory. They removed and replaced all the caulking. If the unit you are looking at has no signs of water intrusion, then check to see if the caulking is hard or soft. If it is hard, have it replaced before you have any water intrusion.

There are two ways (that I know of) to spot water intrusion. One is by looking at the exterior in the sun and seeing if there is any delamination – the exterior will be wavy. The other way is by feeling the wallpaper on the inside and checking for bubbles.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Sorry I did not catch this thread, Lloyd sent it to me. You can also PM me if you want.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Team

I have a 2013 Cruiser Patriot edition. There was at that time a base Cruiser, a Sahara Edition and a Patriot Edition. Each model is slightly more upscale than the previous model, in features, but they are basically the same unit. This is our 4th summer of camping with it. We've had very few problems. Cracked closet door, led awning lights burned out, and a ripped bulb seal.

I did re-caulk some of the exterior lights and parts of the roof. Next project is to seal roof seams with Eternabond tape.

I think we avoided the front cap fading since the Patriot is a full auto paint job including the stripes.

With the exceptions of the leather sleeper sofa (junk) and the leather recliners (difficult to get them to unrecline (more junk)) we love the Cruiser.

This was the display model at the Hershey rv show and maybe they were a little bit more concerned about fit and finish for the show.

The rv gets inspected every year for free with the Good Sam Warranty (7years) with the instructions the I will do the repairs if necessary. I will not pay the outrageous price that dealers charge for re caulking.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote