Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Went for a 5 day camping trip and when we arrived the bed slide was difficult to get out - front motor appeared to keep torquing out. After about 5 attempts to move the slide in and out it finally went out smoothly.

When we got set to leave the campground the bed slide in it came in but had difficulty with the last few inches. The rear motor seems to have less load than the front motor and it tends to twist the slide when inserting the slide the last few inches.

When we arrived home and was set the unpack the bed slide would not go out. Same problem - rear motor working smoothly but the front motor not. Tried to move out/in a few times and the slide became stuck about 2 inches out.

Called the local camping world and took it down for repairs. The service department was familiar with the slide system so hopefully the repair is simple. Appears to be an alignment issue or motor issue. All covered under warranty.

This appears to be a continuation of the problems I had before I took delivery of the unit - slide not aligned when it arrived to take delivery. The RV dealer had to make an "adjustment" because the front slide seal was not making contact with the side of the trailer and back of the slide was.

Question to other CF330SS and CF335SS owners: any issues with your bed slide operation. With the design of the slide it seams that the front motor has to carry more load - one because of the bed closer to the motor and the fact that the bed drags on the carpet and adds additional load to that motor. On ours this makes it so the rear motor tends to "get ahead" of the front motor and this impacts the slide going out and in smoothly.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Our 330SS is working fine. I really like the way that system works. Hopefully your issue can be fixed easily and you will not have any more problems.

12 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
MajandMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajandMrs
Our 330SS is working fine. I really like the way that system works. Hopefully your issue can be fixed easily and you will not have any more problems.

Does you bed "drag" on the floor when it goes out and in? That may be part of my problem - how the bed is adjusted on the support rollers/in the slide assembly.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Had the same problem with the trim around the interior of the slidedragging on the floor, to the extent that the outer frame of the slide separated from the trailer. Dealer had to remove about an inch from the bottom of the trim.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

No, ours slides more than drags. I hope the shop is able to adjust it correctly.

12 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
MajandMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Called Camping World - they finally have it in the shop - hope to here what the fix is later today.
I have contacted CrossRoads and Lippert (via e-mail) to see if there has been any design improvements since ours was built - no reply from them yet.

Edited by: NorskeNY

Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Well got the fifth wheel back today - the wires for the front motor has been pulled out of the controller. They were re-attached and the slide works. It appears that it was re-aligned too because it moves in straighter.

I looked under the bed and saw how the wire could get pulled free when the bed slide is moved in and out - will keep an eye on the wires in the future.

Thanks to the CrossRoads team and Mark Quinn for giving Camping World some technical support too.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Bed slide failed again. Back to Camping World for repairs. The issue has became fully apparent - upper gear rail on the bed slide has significant damage now. The CrossRoads rep. I have been working with has been very helpful - just hope we can resolve the issue.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Just got an e-mail update from the CrossRoads rep. - - with pictures taken at the factory of the modification/TSB.</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">Basically:<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">1.</span>INSTALL JACK UNDER SLIDEOUT WITH JUST ENOUGH PRESSURE IN THE CENTER TO RELIEVE PRESSURE FROM THE 3 CENTER ROLLERS.2.</span>REMOVE THE 3 CENTER ROLLERS FROM UNDER SLIDEOUT LEAVING BOTH OUTSIDE ROLLERS3.</span>REMOVED THE ROLLERS FROM THE BRACKETS4.</span>THEN USING AN AIR CHISHEL TO REMOVE THE 4 SCREWS IN THE ROLLER BRACKET (THEY CAN ALSO BE UNSCREWED OR GROUNDED OFF). SCREWS NOT ACTUAL UNIT5.</span>CAULK THE HOLES LEFT IN THE RUBBER SO IT WONT LEAK6.</span>REMOVE THE BED BASE FROM THE SLIDEOUT AND ADD ROLLERS UNDER THE SLIDE FLOOR7.</span>USE THE SCREWS LISTED BELOW TO SECURE THE ROLLERS. NOTE: ONLY TWO SCREWS PER ROLLER. MAKE SURE THE ROLLERS DO NOT GET CAUGHT IN THE RUBBER FLAP WHEN RUNNING THE SLIDE IN AND OUT.8.</span>IF CONTROLLER BOARD IS UNDER BED BASE IT NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO THE BASEMENT AREA WHILE THE BED IS OUT OPEN THE FRONT STORAGE AREA AND ON THE OFF DOORSIDE.9.</span>DRILL THROUGH DECKING ONLY; THEN LOCATE DRILL BIT FROM TOP SLIDE APPROX 13� FROM THE SLIDE RAIL WHERE THE ROLLERS WERE INSTALLED. CUT SMALL HOLE IN CARPET AND CARPET PAD. THEN DRILL �� HOLE THROUGH DECKING TO RUN WIRES DOWN. BE SURE TO SECURE THE WIRES TO THE FLOOR SO THEY DON’T GET CAUGHT ON THE BED FRAME. IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO EXTEND THE 10 GAUGE POWER WIRE AND 14 GAUGE SWITCH WIRE TO REACH NEW LOCATION OF CONTROL BOARD.10.</span>INSTALL THE CONTROLLER IN THE BASEMENT AREA AND HOOK UP THE MOTOR WIRES AND POWER WIRES.11.</span>IF THE FOOT OF THE BED BASE IS DRAGGING ON THE CARPET FOLLOW NEXT STEP BEFORE REINSTALLING BED BASE TURN UP ON SIDE AND FASTEN A 1" X 6" BOARD TO THE INSIDE OF BED BASE (1� X 6� SHOULD BE LOCALLY PURCHASED).12.</span>FAST ROLLERS TO THE BOTTOM OF BED BASE (USE 2 OF THE ROLLERS REMOVED FROM OUTSIDE) THIS WILL KEEP THE BED BASE FROM RUBBING THE CARPET.13.</span>REINSTALL BED BASE<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; ">

Those that want a copy of the e-mail send me a message with your e-mail on it.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to papabear

I take it that either Camping World or Crossroads gave you these instructions. I myself would not accept this as an answer to your problem. I would try and go higher than this rep to see what can be done while you are still under warrantee. Crossroads should be the ones to fix there problem NO YOU.
Due you have the equiptment and knowledge to preform this kind of repair?
I myself wouldn't attempt it. My private dealer did it himself. Did a great job and he charged it to Crossroads. What does Camping World say about this?
I wouldn't just let this drop. You have some major repairs there.

2012 Cruiser Patriot Edition 335SS

2014 F250 4X4 Super Duty Diesel

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_1120.jpg
papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear

I take it that either Camping World or Crossroads gave you these instructions. I myself would not accept this as an answer to your problem. I would try and go higher than this rep to see what can be done while you are still under warrantee. Crossroads should be the ones to fix there problem NO YOU.
Due you have the equiptment and knowledge to preform this kind of repair?
I myself wouldn't attempt it. My private dealer did it himself. Did a great job and he charged it to Crossroads. What does Camping World say about this?
I wouldn't just let this drop. You have some major repairs there.

I think you are telling me you had the same modification/repair.

I am not performing the repair - all covered under warranty. From the start I have been working with the Bill at crossroads on the repair options. Figure if I get it all worked out with him up front we would get a quicker repair at the local camping world.

I have been working with Bill Stout of CrossRoads - he researshed a TSB on the slide and found the TSB and sent the info on to me with pictures taken what I believe to be from the factory/warranty shop floor. I then passed the info on to my to the service rep at the local Camping World to give them a "heads up". They have a big shop and should be able to perform the repair.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Sorry you have had to endure these problems. You mentioned the "dealer" had toinitially make adjustments. My situation was not comparable to yours but we returned to our "dealer" on two occasions to resolve an issue to no avail.

We had the opportunity to visit the service dept at Crossroads recently and all of our issues were quickly and properly resolved.

Hopefully someday they will be able to provide service at a few" factory" sponsored satellite centers so we are not restricted on travel distance.

Camping World can do the job, most of the manufactures are using the same products so the folks at Camping World should be able to resolve the issue

Good luck keep us posted.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

NorskeNY: I have had a similar problem of the bed slide sticking and twisting. And since our 2012 335SS's are both manufactured in August 2012, I suspect the construction is similar. If you remember I also went back into the dealer to get slide adjustments done to all slides last fall.

This summer (and last spring in Florida), I have had the front corner of the bedroom slide drag on the carpet when bringing the slide in several times, resulting in a slide twist as you describe. Could not bring in the bedroom slide the last 6 to 8 inches. I never forced the issue and ran the slide back out each time. After some thought the first time this happened, I theorized that the root problem was that the ground under the front jacks had a silightly different slope than the ground under the wheels / back jacks. Hence there was probably a slight twist to the frame and therefore a twist in the floor in the bedroom, which resulted on the slide dragging on the carpet.

To fix this I waited until I had the trailer hooked to the truck (with the front jacks retracted and off the ground, back stabilizing jacks retracted), then I brought the bedroom slide in without any issues.

Since then I have had this problem re-occur several times (not all the time - usually on an uneven surface), both while trying to put the bedroom slide out and bringing it back in. Every time I have not forced the slide ( and returned it to its original position), but I have addressed the problem by either a) putting the 5er on the truck hitch and then moving the slide in/out, or b) the last time I came home I theorized that I was inducing a frame twist or a "hump" in the bedroom floor by not making sure that the foot of the 2 front jack legs were not equidistant from the ground / wooden blocks when I started raisng the 5er off the truck hitch. I believe this makes the bedroom floor warp and therfore the slide catches very easily on the carpet.

I think that I will put in a hard thin plastic sheet ( if I can find an old chair protector - for the rolling office chairs) under the the foot of the bed in order to prevent the foot corner catching on the carpet. In my case the front foot corner was binding on the carpet and causing the slide to twist - I could see the indent in the carpet where it happened each time.

Having read all your threads on this issue I don't think that is the only cause of your problem, But I have checked out the other issues you mention i.e. cables from controllers pulled out and gear trcaks showing obivius signs of wear etc. and I do not have any of these symptoms.

I think that these problems start with the front jacks being an unequal distance from the ground / blocks is the root cause of my problems. (I believe that you need to keep the height away from the ground within 1/4 inch or so - i.e one foot 1 . 5 inch off the ground - the other foot must be between 1.25 and 1.75 inches off the ground). Note that I have never had a problem with a site that is almost level from side to side, only on sites that have a slant that is different under the wheels than under the jacks ( like if you want to level the wheels by rolling onto spacers on one side, and then putting the same thickness board under both front landing jacks).

Having said all this, it must be noted that I am still trying out differnt ways to fix these problems, and I have not made any measurements, except by eye, to back up my statements above.

But I think that i have discovered the root cause, because by addressing the problem with one of the methods described above, the slide always goes in and out with no problem. Also note that my wife cannot wait for me to take the 5er off the truck before she puts the slides out - I imagine that putting the slide out first and then raising the 5er off the truck makes this situation more likely to happen.

Keep us up to date on your progress, and I will update what I find this weekend when I head down your way to Rome / Verrona/ Turning Stone on the last (humbug) outing of the season for us.

Hoping to shorten up the off season by going to Florida in March, We wish you better luck in the future.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Boomer - as of today our RV is still at the RV dealer - been there since 9/10. The dealer is still waiting for approval from CrossRoads to perform the repairs/modification. Looks like the rest of our fall camping trips will be cancelled.

I sent emails to the President of CrossRoads RV and Camping World to obtain support from them - wonder if they will reply.

Interesting info on your "tests". I always put the slide in/out after I unhitch. When I park the RV at home or when camping I ensure the RV is level side to side and front to back and lower the rear jacks prior to putting out any slides. It does appear that something does shift during traveling. The last time I used the RV I was able to get the slide out/in. It took about an hour to get the slide out - finally got it out by pushing in the front of the slide from inside the RV. Once out I ran it in and out a few times with no problems (except the excessive dragging of the bed on the floor). When I returned from camping and tried to put out the bed slide out it stuck about 1 inch out . I took it to the RV dealer the next day (9/10).
Update 10/3 - The president of Camping World replied within 40 minutes. Also, continuing to get great support from the CrossRoads factory reps. and getting better support from the Camping World folks - still not sure when the unit will be back on the road.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The new 12 point warranty you're quoting is marketing fluff, unfortunately for you.

I keep reading about issues with the bedroom slides and it amazes me they continue to install them, this is across multiple brands and price ranges.

Maybe Tom from CR management can explain why you're still waiting........
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

From what I have read, multiple companys are using the Schwintek slide system because it is the cheapest thing out there.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I just wanted to note, the Schwinteck is used on many motorhomes, never hear of any issues on them. In fact, my Forester has the system and it has, knock on wood, been perfect. I have seen other brands have issues on travel/5th wheel trailers. I can only guess it's how it's installed, who installs it, and it's used.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY

Boomer - as of today our RV is still at the RV dealer - been there since 9/10. The dealer is still waiting for approval from CrossRoads to perform the repairs/modification. Looks like the rest of our fall camping trips will be cancelled.

I sent emails to the President of CrossRoads RV and Camping World to obtain support from them - wonder if they will reply.

Interesting info on your "tests". I always put the slide in/out after I unhitch. When I park the RV at home or when camping I ensure the RV is level side to side and front to back and lower the rear jacks prior to putting out any slides. It does appear that something does shift during traveling. The last time I used the RV I was able to get the slide out/in. It took about an hour to get the slide out - finally got it out by pushing in the front of the slide from inside the RV. Once out I ran it in and out a few times with no problems (except the excessive dragging of the bed on the floor). When I returned from camping and tried to put out the bed slide out it stuck about 1 inch out . I took it to the RV dealer the next day (9/10).
Update 10/3 - The president of Camping World replied within 40 minutes. Also, continuing to get great support from the CrossRoads factory reps. and getting better support from the Camping World dealer service department - still not sure when the unit will be back on the road.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I have been reading all the troubles with this system.We have a 2012 305 provincial,with a manufacturing date of 27/04/2011.We bought it in july 2011 it has the black accent trim like the 2012's and does not have the swintek bedroom slide system.Ownership is 2012 so they must have brought the swintek in mid stream after our build date.Glad we have the old system,anyone know when they started with swintek slides?

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire
I have been reading all the troubles with this system.We have a 2012 305 provincial,with a manufacturing date of 27/04/2011.We bought it in july 2011 it has the black accent trim like the 2012's and does not have the swintek bedroom slide system.Ownership is 2012 so they must have brought the swintek in mid stream after our build date.Glad we have the old system,anyone know when they started with swintek slides?

Looked at you floor plan - you are lucky they used the old design.

I think ours was made in August of 2011. With the wardrobe/bed slid in the CF335SS I think they thought the Schwintek system would be easier to install and take up less room.

I wonder if they ever used the "old" motor design with the wardrobe/bed slide in the CF 335SS.

The problem was that the design did not provide the appropriate support for the bed and it caused allot of problems for us and others.

Still waiting for repairs/modification - I have been told that the parts have been shipped.

3 1/2 weeks and counting.