Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a 2010 31RE and when i was up on the roof i noticed the sealant tape on two of the slides was popped upabouta foot apart the whole length of the slide.Has anyone else had this problem. Craig
Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I've noticed several posts on this topic on several different units over the past 5 years. You need to get it repaired under warranty by your dealer or the factory if close enough. Could create a major problem. Ours started delaminating after 4 years (out of warranty, of course) and I re-taped all the slideout out seams with Eternbond.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Use Eternabond tape and be done with it. The stuff works great.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

All three of my slides have bubbles in the tape that runs from the edge to most of the way under the tape. Have an appointment with dealer to get this repaired in two weeks.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Can i put the eternabond tape over the existing tape or should i remove the existing tape completely first. Craig
Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

If the old tape is not sealed good I would remove it, clean the surface with alcohol and apply the Eternabond tape. Just take your time, once it sticks you cannot move it but that is what makes it so good. I just sealed the roof where it meets the front and back caps on our trailer.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

you mean right here on these edges? Mine is pulling up.. Eternalbond is on the shelf to apply in a few weeks.

pic shows, with slide out is in. Both edges are pulling up.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I had the tape on the slides coming lose when my 5er was about a year old. I had it all replaced under warranty. The replacement tape has held for 4 years without any edges lifting.

I have two rolls of the Eternabond "EternaSeam" tape on order to to do the roof seams. Hopefully it will deliver by this weekend when I plan on doing the roof cleaning and re-caulking.

Keith, any pointers on putting down the Eternabond?

Also, I have a tube of Dicor lap sealant to do around the fridge vent, but wondering if I should go with the Eternabond there as well??

Weather forecast is forcloudy and mid-60's for Friday-Sunday so should be perfect weather for this jobunlike last weekend's mid-90's when I originally planned to do this work..

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

http://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=251

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Patrick, I just cleaned the area around the seams with rubbing alcohol and applied the tape. Just take your time and go slowly because once the Eternabond touches the roof it is going to stick! Just smooth everything out good and use a small roller if you have one to workany air out.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I bought a used 30 ft Cruiser 2006 with all the tapewaving. I took it of being very carefull not to pierce the rubber top and cleaning with paint mineral thinner (varsol) which does not harm the rubber if you use it sparingly. I then used trailer caulking ( the real stuff) to reseal between the rubber and the alu and covering each screw .. Everythinng seems ok for a long time I hope..To clean the side3s of the rubber top I used MEAN GREEN with a scratch pad and then varsol for stubborn spots and wood alcool when it did not work. Good luck and be ready for aspirin at night cause many unknown muscles will recall your attntion.
denism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Just got the cruiser back yesterday from the dealer. Dealer replaced all the tape on roof of the three slideouts under warranty. Replaced motor, gearbox, and actuator on the kitchen slidout under warranty. Had been having trouble with slideout sticking. They replaced motor last year, but still had some issues with it. When I took it in a couple of weeks ago for other work dealer couldn't get it to open. Lippert decided it was the whole assembly and shipped a new one in three days. Slideout works fine now. Dealer checked the old assembly after they removed it and said it would run then bind, run then bind in several spots during extension and retraction. Had inspection done also, just some minor caulking issues.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I have applied many feet of eternabond to my units and for other folks and it is amazing stuff. The folks that still want to use caulking do not know what they are missing! The great part is if applied properly on a properly cleaned & primed surface it will more than likely be the last time you will need to do anything to your roof joints as the product is good for 15 to 20 years and most of us will not keep a unit that long. I also learned in my mind to buy the primer that goes with Eternabond so you are guaranteed after proper cleaning a perfect bond,I also remove much of the old caulk to get a nice looking & really good bond tooIMHO I usually do anything that requires caulking with Ebond. Our new unit will get ebond treatment very shortly after we get it as that is the time many of the potential leaks start but are hard to find as they are working on virgin territory.

If any of you want to obtain ebond the best place I have found is Best roofing supplies in Arizona.Many sizes & colors and widths I usually use 2 in white as I can use it as is or cut it to 1 in for triming areas. IMHO jb I helped a guy out on his rig and we removed a walmart bag full of old caulk before we started the ebond process,amazing how people think piling that stuff up to the moon does so much good NOTTTTTTTTT.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I covered all the seams on my unit, every opening on the roof has been sealed with etrnabond tape, I even put it around the TV antenna, it's an easy process to do, an easy trick is to use a roller that they use for wall paper seams, just take your time and makse sure the surface is clean, no need to really remove any of the caulk..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

As I Stated I have installed many many feet of ebond and to my satisfaction when the caulk is piled on it is coming off as I like to have the finished job to represent some degree of craftsmanship. I learned a long long time ago that any job worth doing is worth doing right & that to me is not going over years or piles of recaulk upon recaulk. Now when & if I do the new unit if the new caulk looks good as far as flowout and is healthy in application I will clean verywell & prime and apply ebond to it & then I am good to go probably as long as I will need to. I too have done roof vents ,vent stacks.sky lights,ladder feet, antenna bases, front & rear caps to the roof joint over all the screws and also down the full length of each side where the roof meets the eavestrough. It definitely seals the unit for posterity IMHO Jb