Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have been evaluating the merits of adding slide awnings. While not too badly priced as a factory option, the aftermarket has given up some severe sticker anxiety. I have found very little mention of them on this forum. What is the experience of folks on here with the slide awnings, pro and con? I have looked at teh Dometic and the Carefree versions. Not sure what OEM used. The salesman we purchased our Cruiser through did not recomend slide awnings. Some friends bought and got the "you can't live without them' lecture. Now we are wondering....

By the way, after finally getting to break in our Cruiser for a few weekends, we really love this camper. Way different than the popup it replaced (though we still love popups).

2010 Cruiser 30QB

2010 Dodge Ram MegaCab 2500

6.7L Cummins

Huskey 16K Dual Pivot Slider

Sandy, Utah

RKCRWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I have struggled with the same dilemma and will be interested to hear the pros and cons. When we got our new 5er a couple of months ago we thought long and hard about it and after a number of people warned us of them "blowing off" in a strong wind we decided against it. Some had also mentioned the noise that the make when a good wind blows. Not good at bed time.
Unlike the big awning I don't think you can easily roll them up if the wind comes up, at least that was my understanding.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We have had slideawnings on both our Crossroads 5th wheels and would not be without them. They keep leaves, branches and dirt/dust off the top of the slides as well as the hot Summer sun. I am a very light sleeper and we have camped in some pretty good winds and I have never had an issue with noise that would keep us from sleeping. We would never own an RV without them.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I am on my 3rd 5th wheel and I would never consider one without them, we have a quad slide unit and I have them on all the slides, never had any problem with them and it sure makes it easier, plus it does help keep the sun off the top seal, and I have been thru some pretty hard winds and never had a problem.......go for it you sure won't be sorry.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Our Cruiser came with two slide awnings. The awnings keep the top of the slide outs clean. Only negative is when I cut a turn too tight and ripped the canvas and tearing off an end cap. A new end cap and a patch kit fixed it all.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I wouldn't live without them. I prefer Carefree due to it's higher quality and cleaner look with a solid tube cover. I'm not a big Dometic fan.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

On the minus side having to open your slide with snow and ice on the awning not good. We snowbird and our frist stop is not out of the cold and snow yet. 2 years ago we were in WV aqnd got 1/2 in of ice on camper. Our next door neighbor opened their slide and the canvass craqcked most of the way across the awning.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We awnings on each of slides and I wouldn't be without them especially in Pine Needle areas. We too have been in some pretty fierce winds and they were fine.

I will after a heavy rain either lower the front or run the slides in to remove the pooling.

I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing them again.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We have the slide awnings. Most of our camping is here in the southeast. Pine straw is a real problem with slide seals. They do keep the pin straw at bay. Pine pollen is another matter. It gets blown into every crack and crevice.

Maggie Mae (Basset Hound)

2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4l 3.73

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot

Chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

What Hunter11 said. Both mycruisers had/have them.
firefighter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

We have the awnings would not be with out them

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

OK....I will go the other way and say I don't have them and really don't miss them. Seems to me they would be another thing to keep clean. If I lived in a really hot climate my opinion may be different but up here in the NW we stay fairly cool. I decided to put that expense into other upgrades that I wanted.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

You all are convincing me that I need these for my three

slides. I looked briefly at Carefree and they are expensive but nice. Now

you've raised a couple of questions for me.
1. Do you recommend the SideOut KoverII or SideOut Kover (w/alum. case)?

<a href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CKEN%7E1.NEW%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp% 5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">2. Are they difficult to install or would you recommend having a dealer do it?
</a>

<a href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CKEN%7E1.NEW%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp% 5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank"></span>

</a>Edited by: KennyB

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I have the one with the smooth white cover over the roller tube. I had the dealer drop them on. They mess up, they fix it.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Interesting comments.... THANKS! We are still kicking it around. We are off to Yellowstone over Labor Day and are going to try to check a few out while we are there. I had not paid a lot of attention to them prevously. Still not happy about the price though - LOL Also not happy we'll be staying in Fishing Bridge. Thats the length and late reservation penalty, I guess!

2010 Cruiser 30QB

6.7L Cummins

Sandy, Utah

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
Site Team

We didn't have them on our previous 5er. We do have them on this one. I must say it makes a big difference in how hot it gets in the slide. Well worth the price in my opinion.

Stan:
It's easier to keep the awning clean then then the roof. Plus you don't have near the problem of rolling something back in to the unit screwing up your gaskets.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

O.F.....Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Last fiver didn't have a slide-out cover so I installed one. Liked it so much I ordered the Cruiser with them and would not be w/o them. They help with the summer heat and they do keep the slide-out roof clean. If you are under trees for any length of time, there will be leaves, small branches or pine needles on the roof that should be cleaned off prior to closing the slide-outs. But what happens in the event you need to make an emergency departure, maybe in the rain? I've gone from sitting in front of the TV to on the road in 15 min. Even if it is a normal departure, I'd rather not climb on the roof to clean the slide-out while it is raining.

I have camped with a little snow and sleet a few times, and just to be safe from excess weight, I've closed the main slide-out to dump the snow and ice and then re-opened it right away.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Well, after much consideration, we decided to do the awnings. We added Carefree Slide Cover IIIs to both slides. We caught them on sale and with better than usual shipping, so this camper and his cash were soon parted.I did the install my self (piece of cake, but time consuming). Are they worth it??? Remains to be seen. We try them out in the field in Yellowstone this weekend.

Thanks to all the input from others here, both pro and con. It was not an easy decision for us.

2010 Cruiser 30QB

6.7L Cummins

Sandy, Utah

Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

To keep awning from flapping I threw a rope over the length and tied it down. Also allows rain to drain easier.

I have heard of people putting a beach ball between slide and awning to make tension and a hump allowing water to drain . Not sure how hard it is to get it out....must need a ladder.
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote