Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi, We have a 2013 305SK Patriot and are considering adding slide toppers. The 5th wheel has the black trim. What are your thoughts on the color of the slide topper frame/cover, and the vinyl cover itself? Not sure if we should go black or white. Does anyone have a factory installed topper? What color does the factory install? What brand comes factory installed, and what is a good after market brand to get? How's the quality? Are they easy to self-install or would you have dealer or factory do it? I've looked at other posts re: this and still have questions. Thanks for the advice and opinions.
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you live where it does not get very hot in the Summer you might could get away with black. Anywhere down South and black toppers would be heat magnets over the slide outs. Ours were installed by the dealer and are A&E.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Hunter 11. I have only ever seen white slide toppers. Would not want dark ones.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired02
Hi, We have a 2013 305SK Patriot and are considering adding slide toppers. The 5th wheel has the black trim. What are your thoughts on the color of the slide topper frame/cover, and the vinyl cover itself? Not sure if we should go black or white. Does anyone have a factory installed topper? What color does the factory install? What brand comes factory installed, and what is a good after market brand to get? How's the quality? Are they easy to self-install or would you have dealer or factory do it? I've looked at other posts re: this and still have questions. Thanks for the advice and opinions.

I know this isn't what you asked but after 10 years and 6 different slide units I have never had a slide awning and dont' remember a time I wish I had... but as I walk around looking I often see many times a good reson why I feel I made the right decison on this years ago. JMHO jb
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

What color is the roof? If it is white, then either color will work. If it is anything other than white (i.e tan or gray), then white toppers will look out of place. White is much better in hot parts of the country but black won't show the dirt as much. Price will be much higher for anything other than white with fewer model choices. That is because most non-white toppers go on higher end motorhomes.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We've owned campers without and this one has them...we like them, and they were factory installed A&E white...I think they keep the slideout cooler in summer and keep rain and trash off when parked under trees..JMHO

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I love slide toppers, in this area the pine needles are killer - they stick to everything and get into the slide seals and inside. Also keeps slide roof free of dirt, water, and debris. Get black if you can, white gets tiresome to clean.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We had the black ones with the black hardware installed to match the existing black trim on the awning.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
Site Team

I myself vote for the white ones, for all the a fore mentioned reasons. Have had rigs with and without, I would never not want to have them. As far as the black--I suppose they are trendy and sharp looking, but they will definitely defeat the purpose of reflecting heat. With the little insulation that's in a slide out, they need all the help they can get.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote