Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

I over tightened my spare tire lift. There are more plastic parts on the ground than I care to glue together.

Any suggestions as to where I can find a lift made to last. Preferably not plastic?

Thanx

Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I didn't realize mine wasn't metal.What year is your trailer? I know the last one I had was made of metal and it was on a 05 Denali by Dutchman.I bet camping world or other dealers carry metal ones.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the reply.

Wehave had this 2004 Cruiser for 1.5 years.

I looked through the 766 page accessories catalog but did not find what I was looking for.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Mine looks similar to a lift used by dodge, I bet one of those could be modified

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The first time I lowerd my tire and cranked it back up I lost confidence in the device! When it gets to the top it makes a ratchet noise and you cannot overtighten it. A post on this forum and a kind responder checked his and he reported the same thing. My tire has stayed in place since then but I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling it is secure. I know from a previous experience years ago what a spare tire falling out of the underside of an F150 can do to a boat trailer in tow. I nearly lost my boat but luckily it came back down on top of the trailer after running over my truck spare.

So the idea of modifying one from a Dodge truck seems like a good idea. I think I will look into this or some other way to mount the tire. It may not be as handy but I believe bolting it to the underside of my CF29CK would be better than a ratchet device. Using grade 5 bolts of course! Edited by: Pull Dog
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The stock units are pretty weak. That always worried me driving down the highway on our Cruiser with the spare mounted in front of the axles. If that spare falls or the mount gives way running 60 to 65 down the highway there is going to be a big mess. I was really glad to see the spare mounted behind the axles on our Paradise Pointe.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

on my unit one of the first things I did was to lowe the spare tire and coat the cable with anti-seize grease, the cables are famous for rusting and letting the tire fall...I covered mine and once a year I just raise and lower the tire, so far it's wprked pretty good, the cable is fine and it still works, I thought of mounting in the basement, but hate to lose the space..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Thank for the input!

Maybe the basement would be a safer place;then there would be aroom under the rig to mount a stabilizer onto the landing gear legs.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

The spare tire eats up too much room in the basement.

So.

We purchased a new style winch from Crossroads. It looks tougher that the original.

The old unit tryed to re-direct the cable to the center of the winch that is what broke to pieces.

The new winch allows the cable to hang straight down from where it leaves the pullley.It mounts differently. I had to drill two new holes and plug to old ones.

I also am installing a chain web to capture the tire just in case the winch fails while traveling down the road. I'll try to post a picture when done.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We removed the mount and just carry the spare in the back of the truck. I wasn't overly happy with how it mounted. In fact they must have over-cranked it at the factory (or at the dealer) and deformed the steel floor before we brought it home. The dealer took pictures and sent them away to Crossroads when we complained but we have not heard back from them yet.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Lost my spare on the first trip out with new trailer, as the bracket that bolts to the trailer broke. We was on a Hi way in SD and did not hear or feel it come out. No damage to anything (Lucky) and Crossroads replaced bracket assy. with a new type and replaced by spare tire. Someone got a new tire and wheel.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Purchased a new style lift from Crossroads and bolted it in place; then added a safety chain.

The old lift with its black plastic cable guide broken and missing.

The new lift mounts perpendicular and offset to the old unit. I plugged the old holes with carriage bolts.

New lift bolted up. Its carriage fits differently than the old.. it does not snap into the hub hole.

The safety chain will hopefully stop the spare from falling out if the lift fails. The nut and bolt will be replaced with a padlock. The front chain slips out of the big metal loop and then the rear loophangs out of the way.

Heavy duty lift eyelets salvaged from the top of and old electrical control panel.

Edited by: Kamper Dave
Old 04-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
New Camper

Why notmove a the spare to rear mount??? Installed a generator in the front comparment in my cf30sk had to move the spare to the rear bumper.....a lot easier to get to
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

raycruiser,

I don't mind it out of sight.

With the tail lights, license plate, ladder, bike rackand water fill station on the back of the RV there isn't much room on the bumper.

With high regards.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Dave, who did you talk to at Crossroads to order the new spare lift? I need to get mine replaced before my next trip out. Also how much did the new one cost?

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

shoetravel,

I just got a hold of of the Crossroads and the girl answering the phone got the information for me. I figured that the new model had to be better than the old oneand it was.

Ino longer have the order paperwork. I have seen then on the Lippert web-site.

http://www.lci1.com/storecatalog/spa...fset-cable.htm

$67.00

Remember, that you will need to drill new offsetholes to get the cable to fall in the same spot.

See you down the trail.

Kamper Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Thanks, will be ordering one tomorrow...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote