Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Things to do if you drop the belly liner.

Belly and Belly Liner Maintenance:
I carefully dropped and rolled back the first 8 feet of liner and insulation with the black tank and forward grey tank exposed I was able perform the following:
· Unclog the San-T-Flush system. Upon close inspection I was pleased to see that the tank slopes to the drain corner. So, the San-T-Flush is on the high end of the tank and probably 3-4 inched from the top edge of that end of the black tank. Water entering the flush system can sweep across the bottom of the tank and head for the drain taking any solids with it. I secured the hose to the flush so that it no longer weighs on the liner.
· Bundle, sleeve and secure the electrical wiring to keep it off of the belly liner and from being chafed where it was riding on cross members and especially where it entered the living area.
· Reinforced the edges of the belly liner by applying a layer of Gorilla Tape and heating it with a hair dryer to fuse it the liner. Once heated in this manner it can NOT be removed from the liner material without un-laminating the liner itself. When it is fused to the liner you can see the old mounting holes easily.
· Re-installed the insulation sheets and belly liner to the RV frame rails.
· Front liner seam will take on water when traveling in the rain so I applied a 2.5” strip of self adhering rubberized residential roof flashing over the front seal. This was also heat fused.
· I installed several additional self drilling screws to the trim that holds the liner in place along the side rails in hopes of keeping road spray out of the belly.
· I made a huge mistake years ago when I installed a round exterior cross member to help hold up the belly liner. Because the round aluminum pipe contacts the liner in one location it had worn a hole all of the way through the liner material in a few locations. I cleaned the liner with soap and water and a quick wipe with acetone and applied a layer of rubberized roof flashing and heat fused it to the liner. I did not re-install this support.
· The aluminum rectangular cross member that holes up the propane pipe had also worn the liner thin so this area received a layer of heat fused Gorilla Tape before replacing the ½” propane pipe.
· The main propane pipe was also rubbing on the black tank ABS drain line and at this time was moved sideways by installing (2) 45º elbows.
· All road debris damaged areas on the liner were given a dab of automotive black gasket maker.

Then I came in for a cup of coffee. This was actually a two day chore that I hope to never repeat.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Been there and done that. Putting the liner back up by myself was a chore. I sealed my edges with black tape but did not think to use a heat gun. Now that you know where the black flush mounts to the tank, you can probably access it again if it clogs just by lowering the just a portion of the liner on the side of the RV to clear any clogs. That's what I did last time it clogged.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Been there and done that. Putting the liner back up by myself was a chore. I sealed my edges with black tape but did not think to use a heat gun. Now that you know where the black flush mounts to the tank, you can probably access it again if it clogs just by lowering the just a portion of the liner on the side of the RV to clear any clogs. That's what I did last time it clogged.
How about an access door as for the slide motors?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

That could work too but you would be reaching straight up to work where from the side it is a bit easier on the arms.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Excellent report. If I ever have to remove much of the belly liner, I will probably replace it with Coroplast sheets as I did with the '04 Cruiser.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Excellent report. If I ever have to remove much of the belly liner, I will probably replace it with Coroplast sheets as I did with the '04 Cruiser.
Did you create a Post on your install? If so, can you paste it here? Thanks
Judging from the beating these liners take I can't believe they last forever.