Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

When we were going to Flordia last summer, we were heading south on I-65 when I heard a loud "pop". Scared us half to death!I knew it wasn't my truck so I slowed down and pulled over as far as I could on the shoulder.I got out on the passenger side so I wouldn't get killedby the semis driving 70+ mph. Fortunately, the blowout was on the passenger side. The tire hadwhipped against the fender flare a little bit and did some minor damage.I was able to change it in about 30 minutes and we were back on the road.This was thefirstRVblowout I've ever experienced. I'm also glad it was daytime whenthis happened and not at night. That was the last trip we've been on so I still have the spare on the RV. I'mgonna go ahead and put 4 new tires on.I've heard good things about Maxxis and GoodyearMarathons. Any others I should consider???
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I would consider Goodrich's Commercial T/A which is a LT tire. There is lots of info on tires over on the RV.net discussion board.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you decide on a LT tire be careful of the weight rating. I believe size for size the LT tires have a lower weight rating than the RV tire.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Like Slouman posted above I love the BFG commercial TA's. I replaced my ST tires with these and after 3 years still look new. You may not get exact same size but you can get something close.

Since you said you heard the loud pop I am guessing you do not have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System). It is possible you might have seen some pressure problems before the blow-out. For the price of the insurance deductible you can buy a nice system.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I've had both the Maxxis and the Goodyear Marathons on different trailers. I've had good service out of both. The majority of the Marathons are now made in China, but I even had good service out of those. I have been told by my dealer to steer clear of Dunlops, but I can't testify to that personally. BTW, the dealer does not sell tires.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi
Since you said you heard the loud pop I am guessing you do not have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System). It is possible you might have seen some pressure problems before the blow-out. For the price of the insurance deductible you can buy a nice system.

Good idea. I'll have to take a look at those.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

If you don't mind me asking, are they the original tires? If so what brand are they? Ours is a 09 also.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Same question if you don't mind. What brand is the tire and what size?
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We went with theBFG commercial TA tire.In addition we upgraded the same size from a 15" to 16" Rim.We also bought a TPMS and just upgraded to a replaceable battery TPMS.All good suggestions, get any of these tires mentioned as they have been tested by the Forum.Choose a TPMS and you will quit looking in your rear view mirror all the time and be safer as well.Happy Camping
Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the suggestions.I can't remember the brand of the tires I have. They're the original tires from the factory. I'll have to take a look when I get home from work. I think the size is 225 75 15.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

If you can, upgrade to the 16 inch tires. One reason we traded our 07 for the '10 patriot was the 16 inch tires. I believe the 15's load rating is to close to the cruiser weight and this makes them marginal. The 16e's have a higher load rating, thus a higher safety range.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377

If you can, upgrade to the 16 inch tires. One reason we traded our 07 for the '10 patriot was the 16 inch tires. I believe the 15's load rating is to close to the cruiser weight and this makes them marginal. The 16e's have a higher load rating, thus a higher safety range.

It seems like I've heard the weight rating on 16" tires is better. Good advice. I guess I need to price some 16" rims.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Your 15" are D's and if you use 225-75-16 they are E rated. Nices thing I ever did was switching to BFG's lt tires. You will be 1/2" higher and have 1" less inbetween tires.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I checked this weekend and the factory tires I have are Mission tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

"I checked this weekend and the factory tires I have are Mission tires."

Our unit came with Mission load range E tires. They did not go 5k miles before two started to seperate. If yours have gone this long you may have a decent set but I would keep my eye on them.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
"I checked this weekend and the factory tires I have are Mission tires."

Our unit came with Mission load range E tires. They did not go 5k miles before two started to seperate. If yours have gone this long you may have a decent set but I would keep my eye on them.

I totally agree as I have know several folks that had nightmares with mission tires. Jb
Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansFan
When we were going to Flordia last summer, we were heading south on I-65 when I heard a loud "pop". Scared us half to death!I knew it wasn't my truck so I slowed down and pulled over as far as I could on the shoulder.I got out on the passenger side so I wouldn't get killedby the semis driving 70+ mph. Fortunately, the blowout was on the passenger side. The tire hadwhipped against the fender flare a little bit and did some minor damage.I was able to change it in about 30 minutes and we were back on the road.This was thefirstRVblowout I've ever experienced. I'm also glad it was daytime whenthis happened and not at night. That was the last trip we've been on so I still have the spare on the RV. I'mgonna go ahead and put 4 new tires on.I've heard good things about Maxxis and GoodyearMarathons. Any others I should consider???

There have been a surprising number of complaints now coming on Maxxis but like any thing if you don't take care of things stuffcan & does go wrong... I would guess that marathons have been the dominate tire for years out there but now a lot of imports are driving the market>>jmho jb
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Good luck your way as many folks have really needed it with that brand..JMHO jb
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Our 2004 Paradise came with TowmasterPowermax or Powermax Towmaster whicheverand they did very well althoughI had two valve stem failures causing the loss of two tires on the interstate..I was well pleased with them overall so when they timed out I found a local dealer who handled them so I had him get some and install them.I was shocked when he told me$93 dollars ea plus mount & balance & that is a heavy tire..they are a big 16 in tire.

When we ordered our new Cruiser I had the dealer take then off of the old unit and install them on the new unit.They looked at me like I was nuts but now a couple of years and 7000 miles we are still happily going down the road. The name of the factory tire was an unknown to us to boot..JMHO jb
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
Quote:

Good luck your way as many folks have really needed it with that brand..JMHO jb

I guess it's like a ticking time bomb with these Mission tires. I'll be glad to be rid of them.